G'day from the Top End of Aussie

Please introduce yourself...

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

BXR12NT

G'day from the Top End of Aussie

Postby BXR12NT » Thu Feb 15, 2007 4:00 am

A big thank you to all the posters on this forum who through their wisdom whilst I lurked ,answered every question I had before I asked it.

Allow me to introduce my self , I have been riding for the last 30 years (since I was 7) and have raced at a national level, I am a serving member of the Defence force and live in Darwin in the Northern Territory of Australia.

At the end of last year I had narrowed down my choice of bikes to two , the R1200S and KTM super Duke. I already have a Blackbird but on Jan 1 this year our state government repealed the open speed limt on our roads and introduced a 130kmh limt so I was looking for a visceral experience at a bit less than warp speed.

Whilst on Christmas holidays some 4000km away in Tasmania I rode both a tricked up Super Duke and a Black R1200S and it was love from the moment I sat on the BM. A deal was struck which enabled me to get the bike from Tassie to Darwin and still be $4000 AUD better of than if I bought it from Darwins BMW dealer who have a captive market as the next dealer is in Adelaide some 3000 km away.

As far as I am aware in the whole of the NT a state probaly four or five times the size of the UK there are exactly 3 R1200s' . Mine , a silver one and the Red and Silver one in the window of the dealer(where its been four the last 3 months) so as you can imagine there is very little knowledge available and since the local dealer also sells BMW Cars and Hyundais they aren't much use.

Expect a few questions as time goes on and I look forward to sharing the odd virtual beer .
An Ego driven, meat based, space time transporter

Blackal

Postby Blackal » Thu Feb 15, 2007 5:49 am

Welcome to the forum! :D

Your $4000 saving will soon go on add-ons made from stainless steel and carbon-fibre :thumbleft:

What are the roads like around your area? Are there enough twisties to keep it interesting?

Al :thumbright:
If I am ever on life support - Unplug me......
Then plug me back in..........

See if that works .....
:?

BXR12NT

Postby BXR12NT » Thu Feb 15, 2007 8:09 am

Yes I rather think Staintune will be getting some of the savings , and when I work out suppliers for decent CF then the rest will go there too.

As for the roads , the immediate area is pretty straight and uninteresting , however just 3/4 of an hour away is the Litchfield national park which has an excelent twisty road running through it . If the opposition gets in at the next election we will get our unlimited speed limits back too.

The Hidden Valley racetrack is only 20 minutes from here and holds regular track days through out the dry season (April to November ) in fact here is my Blackbird at the last track day of 2006.

http://x-pozd.com/ntevents/product_info.php?products_id=20359&osCsid=978837d0e8dd08b940be4cefcc0ed6db[/url]

Blackal

Postby Blackal » Thu Feb 15, 2007 8:16 am

good pic :thumbright:

I also checked out the pics of the Darwin Ladies Cricket Team......... but they didn't do a lot for me :scratch:

Al :D
If I am ever on life support - Unplug me......
Then plug me back in..........

See if that works .....
:?

Stevie

Postby Stevie » Thu Feb 15, 2007 10:16 am

BXR12NT (we really have to think of another name for you), welcome to the forum

You got the right colour of R12S.

Al, try the Darwin Netball Association. (Cricket d'uh!)
In hiatus from motorcycles.

WayneL

Postby WayneL » Thu Feb 15, 2007 10:58 am

Hello BXR12NT, so another ozzie joins the forum. Welcome mate. You did a great deal on the bike! :!: Did you get the chance to ride around Tassie? Did you have to buy jumpers?

I haven't been to Darwin for a long time (worked on 'Jack the Slasher' at Winnellie, its spelt something like that), but can remember watching some sort of a boat race involving vessels made of beer cans! Niiice :shock:
These guys probably dont know that you drink stubbies that are the size of a six pack up their in NT. It'll be a long virtual beer then.

Do you get down to Phillip Island to watch the Supers or the GP?

Wayne

Rods

Postby Rods » Thu Feb 15, 2007 1:47 pm

As it seems to be an aussie get together, has anyone seen / heard from Gats recently?
Another brilyunt mind diztroyed

by the publik edukashun sistum.

keith750cc

Postby keith750cc » Thu Feb 15, 2007 11:26 pm

Welcome BXR12NT,

I have found this forum invaluable for free help and advice, nice to hear of someone getting discount on a Beemer. :)

atb keith
Suzuki GT750's

2007 Speed Triple

BXR12NT

Postby BXR12NT » Fri Feb 16, 2007 1:51 am

Thanks for the welcome and I will try and tidy up the questions posed so far :

1. The user name : Here in the NT our enlightened govt charges a 1 off $50 fee for personalised number plates , for bikes its a minimum of two and maximum of five digits .So I have ordered BXR12 for mine as the blackie is registered CBRXX. The NT bit is on all the plates up the top.

2. The Tassie stuff . I went down to see Mum and Dad for Christmas , so we have a good supply of warm clothes there as it is always cold . Unfortunately I didn't get to do a lot of riding as the bike had to be crated up whilst I was there , I would have loved to get a run through the Hellyer Gorge in , unfortunatley the Elephant Pass was closed due to extensive bush fires.

3. Darwin Stubbies , in the rest of Australia a stubbie is a 375ml bottle of beer , up here it looks like this
Bloody big beer

4. Supers and GP , won't make it this year but used to flit across to them regularly when I was posted to Adelaide.

Return to “New Trixters?”