Another new member

Please introduce yourself...

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

Dave B.

Another new member

Postby Dave B. » Wed Aug 01, 2007 9:01 pm

Well I've just taken the plunge and picked up my new bike today, a 1999 bright yellow, R1100S.

I must admit after years of riding Japanese bikes it will take some getting used to. The bike is in good condition, however I probably need to adjust the clutch lever as it bites with the handle almost right out and the brakes will also need to be looked at as they seem slightly short of stopping power, (braded hoses possibly).

The bike was described as being quirky and that seems to be a good description. It's slow compared to my previous bikes however the handling did surprise me as the steering and handling are superb.

The only niggles that I have is that in first when pulling away I thought I was in second gear as the bike seems to labour a little bit although the clutch adjustment may improve things.

The other thing was when changing down a gear very quickly, going into a corner with the front brake on, I nearly locked the back end up when letting the clutch out. It may have been my own fault due to being slightly aggressive with the clutch and braking, however the bike at low revs in a higher gear, the bike is that smooth you can get caught out. Any tips in this area regarding gear changing into corners would be appreciated as I am new to these bikes and shaft drives.

Also if anyone knows of any hard luggage for sale, please let me know.

f90x

Postby f90x » Thu Aug 02, 2007 7:19 pm

Hey Dave, I'm new to the Boxer world too. Haven't locked the back up through the gears yet but I have hit the rev limiter once or twice. That'll be the Fireblade still in me. I change gear before tipping into the corner Dave, that way I'm ready to pile it on, on the way out ;-) You won't need to be in as lower gear as you might with an inline four either.

Have fun
Steve

hjr1100s

Re: Another new member

Postby hjr1100s » Thu Aug 02, 2007 7:48 pm

Dave B. wrote:... and the brakes will also need to be looked at as they seem slightly short of stopping power, (braded hoses possibly).

The brade hoses make a huge difference. One of the best mod´s I´ve done on my former bike, especially when you´ve got the ABS (there's more length of brake lines running to and from the ABS hydraulic unit under neath the tank).

It's slow compared to my previous bikes however the handling did surprise me as the steering and handling are superb.

It's only slow on the straight. Once you get used to it, you'll find you're cornering at higher speeds then you used to do.

The other thing was when changing down a gear very quickly, going into a corner with the front brake on, I nearly locked the back end up when letting the clutch out. It may have been my own fault due to being slightly aggressive with the clutch and braking, however the bike at low revs in a higher gear, the bike is that smooth you can get caught out. Any tips in this area regarding gear changing into corners would be appreciated as I am new to these bikes and shaft drives.

As said, there's often no need to shift down, not like you would on a four cilinder. If you do, you 'blib' the throttle while you disengaged the clutch, 'catch the rev's ' when you engage it. A twin has far more engine break then a four cilinder. Most of the time I use the engine to drain speed when approaching a corner, only touch the brakes if necessary, shift one gear down and roll into that corner.

You'll learn that, due to the telelever which gives such a stable ride, you're able to brake very late, while already cornering, and you're able to get on the throttle quiete early (cos the power comes in smooth).

HJ

Dave B.

Postby Dave B. » Fri Aug 03, 2007 9:26 am

HJ.

I was in third aproaching the bend, however it was a new road to me and it was one of those bends that goes back on it's self. I was still upright and I thought I'd better drop down another gear and quickly. The back kicked out as I let the clutch out. On my ZX9 I wouldn't have had a problem, however it was my first ride on this bike as I'd just picked it up.
The other thing is I've now adjusted the clutch lever as the previous owner had it set so that the clutch lever was almost right out before biting and this probably contributed to the problem as well as the fact that i'd miss read the corner.

As for the bike, I'm quite happy with it, although it will take some getting used to, (those indicators are a nightmare).

I was expecting the bike to be more buzzy from what I'd read about the bike however there seems to be a bit of a missconception there because at low to reasonable revs the bike is as smooth as silk and the bike only seems to vibrate when you're on the throttle at the higher end of the rev band.

I'm taking the wife away in a fornight for three to four days on the bike and hopefully she'll like it. She's happy with the seating and hopefully she'll be safe from the heat from the engine if we get stuck in traffic.

Ruffy

new bike

Postby Ruffy » Fri Aug 03, 2007 10:25 am

Hi dave,i think i saw your new bike on fleebay and it does look nice and well looked after,don't worry about the gearchange coz your probs are no doubt connected to not being used to a quirky bike and the shaft drive and you'll find that you really don't need to change gear as much as you did on your kwak,the best way to get used to it is ride it as much as you can and the indicators are quite good when you brain is accustomed to them,try and put all those feelings for the kwak to the very back of your mind and then you'll enjoy your new toy a lot better! 8) 8)
ruffy

Dave B.

Postby Dave B. » Fri Aug 03, 2007 7:07 pm

Ruffy.

It is the bike off ebay and it is in good condition. I've just put a new back tyre on, (Avon Storm) and had a ride out on the way back.

It is taking some getting used to however I've no complaints as the handling more than compensates for any short comings in any other areas and with the bike being so smooth at lower revs, I'm sure that my wife will like it on the back.

I can see me owning this bike for a long time, now all i have to sort out is some luggage.

hjr1100s

Postby hjr1100s » Sat Aug 04, 2007 5:36 am

Oh, there's one more thing you'll have to pay attention to while cornering:

HJ

Return to “New Trixters?”