Getting 1100s next week

Please introduce yourself...

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

hobbit

Getting 1100s next week

Postby hobbit » Thu Aug 30, 2007 2:31 pm

Hi all

getting 03 1100s next week should of been on saturday, but am stuck offshore in bad weather.

Trading in Honda firestorm ( if any one wants to buy it pm or email me :lol: :lol: )

Will be interested to know more about riding with ABS, what exactly can you get away with, also I know when you pull front lever, it operates front and rear brakes, but if you operate only rear brake does this also have ABS ??

All the best

Gavin

leasky

Postby leasky » Thu Aug 30, 2007 3:23 pm

Welcome to the mad-house Gavin.

I was in the same boat as you last year when I went from the VTR1000 to the sublime flat twin. 8) The Firestorm had been the best bike I had ever had with 25 years riding, until I got the BM. :D

It took me a while to get used to it but I am now a true convert and doubt if I shall ever leave the fold.

I am also in the Oil and Gas game and spend half of my life away from home; it just makes that bike feel all the better when I get back :lol:

Dont know what your shifts are for the end of Sept but you should try to make the meet-up at Hawes. Good chance to put faces to names. I was at my first meet last time home and it was a cracking laugh, despite the weather :(

Enjoy!

Leasky.

Boxered
Route Master

Re: Getting 1100s next week

Postby Boxered » Thu Aug 30, 2007 4:12 pm

hobbit wrote:
Will be interested to know more about riding with ABS, what exactly can you get away with, also I know when you pull front lever, it operates front and rear brakes, but if you operate only rear brake does this also have ABS ??

All the best

Gavin

Welcome to the board Gavin, you should get most of the answers to most of your Questions here. I'll make a start :)
As far as I know, non of the 1100s variants came with linked brakes, so, unless somebody more knowledgable than me comes along to correct me, pull the front hard....stoppie mode, apply rear hard...skiddie mode :?

Steve
Well-weathered leather
Hot metal and oil
The scented country air
Sunlight on chrome
The blur of the landscape
Every nerve aware

Ruffy

Linked brakes

Postby Ruffy » Fri Aug 31, 2007 2:48 pm

Hi hobbit,steve's right up to a point but with ABS the brakes are linked but only on the front are what's called Partially linked brakes so both brakes are linked when the front lever is used but only the rear when the pedal is pressed and when both brakes are used the electronic controller computes the braking-force distribution between front and rear wheels,and applies the brakes accordingly,does that help you?
ruffy

hobbit

Postby hobbit » Fri Aug 31, 2007 11:39 pm

THanks for replies,

can you use front brake whilst banked over or is it best to just trail rear if needed.

thanks

Gavin

throttlemeister

Postby throttlemeister » Fri Sep 14, 2007 9:13 am

hobbit wrote:THanks for replies,

can you use front brake whilst banked over or is it best to just trail rear if needed.

thanks

Gavin

One of the advantages of the BMW Telelever front is that you can do - and get away with - stuff like braking into or in a turn that would make you crash a normal bike. However, I would advise against trying unless you are experienced and know exactly what the bike will do. It is and remains a fine line between control and destruction.
Gijs

BMW R1100S | homepage | gallery
BMW K1200S 'tri-color ICBM' | ABS/ESA

FalcoDog

Postby FalcoDog » Wed Sep 26, 2007 2:51 am

These bikes don't need brakes. Just let go of the throttle. :)
"Four wheels move the body.....Two wheels move the soul"

stormcloud

Postby stormcloud » Mon Oct 01, 2007 9:46 pm

I've also had a Firestorm, and loved it.

Now newly on an 1100S, I was a little perplexed to start with, but with a few miles under my belt now, I'm starting to LOVE this bike.

I'm discovering little quirks and things about this bike that, far from disliking, are things that are starting to make me think this could be a long term love affair.

I think any bike takes some adapting to it's characteristics and I find the 'S' perhaps a little more than some of my previous bikes, including the VTR1000.

Persist, however, and I expect you'll find owning your new bike is a fantastic experience.

All the best, Justin
GSX250, RZ350, K100LT, GPX750R, YP250, XJ900S, VTR1000F, VFR800, YP250, SV650, and now..... R1100S.

Attitude and perspective are everything.

herrman
Trixter Tour Manager

Postby herrman » Mon Oct 01, 2007 9:55 pm

Seems like your already converted, Welcome to Boxertrix and enjoy your stay. Hope to meet you on one of our "days out" at some time.

Regards Peter.

Return to “New Trixters?”