Hello! My biking adventure continues with 1st boxer twin.

Please introduce yourself...

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

stormcloud

Hello! My biking adventure continues with 1st boxer twin.

Postby stormcloud » Mon Sep 10, 2007 7:52 am

Hi, all.
Love the site. Have been doing lots of searches over the last few months and enjoying the input everybody has been giving.

My motorcycle odyssey is reasonably long (17 years) with a huge variety of machinery along the way (see signiature).

Now it's time for something completely different again - an opposed air/oil cooled twin with shaft drive, fuel injection and a funny front end.

I picked up a 1999 Red R1100S two weeks ago.
Only 32,000km.
5.5 inch rear wheel.
Staintune pipes installed.
New Michelin Pilot Sports.
Entire tool kit and tyre repair kit is present and has an added torx key. A bonus I wasnt expecting.
It's not perfect, but looks fabulous from 6 feet away.....
And it rides great -which is most important.

The biggest difference, requiring adjustment, is probably the engine/gearbox/clutch. I'm a bit hamfisted at the moment, especially through tight slow corners, but I suspect she needs some TLC re: Injection balancing and fueling. And some user adjustment.

It's a great thing, the process of getting to know a new bike, how it handles and how to get the best from it. I think this one will take some time to tame.

I look forward to liasing with other members in future. Dont worry, I know how to use the search function!

Warm regards, Justin (Stormcloud)
GSX250, RZ350, K100LT, GPX750R, YP250, XJ900S, VTR1000F, VFR800, YP250, SV650, and now..... R1100S.

Attitude and perspective are everything.

hdp

Postby hdp » Mon Sep 10, 2007 11:08 am

Welcome!

Quite an impressive list of bikes you have there, luckily you saved the best one for last :wink:

I agree with you; there are very knowledgeable okes on the forum and they are all very helpful...
Now to start off with all you need to do;
is balance your TBs, check your TPS voltage, adjust your valves set your rocker end gaps, get a new LH cam chain tensioner and you're good to go :lol:(just kidding, but if you're a perfectionist like me and want the best out of her all the above makes a big difference :thumbleft:)

Enjoy her, i am already in-love with mine. Nothing on earth feels like a BMW Boxer :love4:

Cheers

andrew s

Postby andrew s » Mon Sep 10, 2007 4:38 pm

Welcome Justin,

Glad you are enjoying the quirky R1100S.

Why not join us at Hawes at the end of the month for a great meet up and if the weather is good to us a great 2 days ride out, check the Days out section for details.

Andrew :roll:
A man can fall many times in life but is never a failure until he refuses to get up

SteveH

Postby SteveH » Mon Sep 10, 2007 5:43 pm

Welcome, Justin, and have fun with the new toy. I'd guess that Hawes might be quite a long journey for you....what part of the world are you in?
Steve

Paul
Wanna buy a sticker mister?

Postby Paul » Mon Sep 10, 2007 6:10 pm

Welcome,

Glad you managed to overcome the cryptic login process. We have one or two other members based down under who will no doubt make themselves known once you own up to being in Oz. :happy8:

Cheers,

Paul
You really need only two tools: WD-40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and it should, use WD-40. If it moves and shouldn't, use the tape.

andrew s

Postby andrew s » Tue Sep 11, 2007 5:28 pm

Well if you are a ozzy then I guess Hawes would be a bit too far for a weekend.

Andrew :roll:
A man can fall many times in life but is never a failure until he refuses to get up

Man-of-Mystery

Postby Man-of-Mystery » Wed Sep 12, 2007 4:29 am

Hi Justin. Welcome to the fraternity.

M-o-M
07 R1200S

Love your enemies - it'll drive the bastards crazy!

stormcloud

Thanks all.

Postby stormcloud » Sun Sep 16, 2007 10:52 am

Forgot to add that bit about being in Australia....

I live in a town called Orange, about 250km (150miles) due west of Sydney.

Got some twisty roads around here, but many of them are bumpy - where the telelever seems to work magic. This, and the lack of dive, is the most noticable effect of the 'funny front end'.

Just got back from a 5 day conference, with a carby balancer loaned from a mate in Canberra.

Too late to try today, probably next weekend now..

Had to go and sit on the bike tonight when I got home though. :lol: :lol:

Oh, hope Hawes was fun!
GSX250, RZ350, K100LT, GPX750R, YP250, XJ900S, VTR1000F, VFR800, YP250, SV650, and now..... R1100S.

Attitude and perspective are everything.

Return to “New Trixters?”