Howdo

Please introduce yourself...

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

iamwu

Howdo

Postby iamwu » Fri Sep 21, 2007 8:37 am

Hi

Just joined up to take a proper look around at folk riding the R1100s and R1200s boxers. I'm currently riding a CBR6 but am thinking of defecting to the dark side.

So anyone who can hold forth on the pro's and con's of the R1100s vs the R1200s do drop me a line - although you may well be bored of that old chestnut by now :o)

Met a bloke down in Tavistock (Dartmoor) who had a lovely boxer cup edition of the R1100s which is what interests me the most. But it was quite heavy and that was just lifting it off side-stand - though this may be just down to me being used to the Honda.

But the new HP2 sport looks great, god knows how much it'll cost though:

http://www.raptorsandrockets.com/images ... port_1.jpg
http://www.raptorsandrockets.com/images ... port_3.jpg
http://www.raptorsandrockets.com/images ... port_5.jpg

Anyway, talk soon.

- William

andrew s

Postby andrew s » Fri Sep 21, 2007 10:36 am

Welcome Willam,

All I can say is get a test ride of an 1100S, take it out for a few hours if you have not ridden a boxer before, then decide what to do.

There are loads of information on this site to help you decide and what to do to the bike when you have got one.

Andrew :roll:
A man can fall many times in life but is never a failure until he refuses to get up

RoLoo

Re: Howdo

Postby RoLoo » Fri Sep 21, 2007 10:51 am

iamwu wrote:...but am thinking of defecting to the dark side...

...you mean the bright side... :wink:
Have a nice day !
Ron.

R1200S + R1200RT
(RoLoo as in RowLow...)

Paul
Wanna buy a sticker mister?

Postby Paul » Fri Sep 21, 2007 11:42 am

Hi William,

Speculation on the pricing of the HP2 bike puts it in the silly money category (£14k or thereabouts) which is a lot of cash for a boxer twin. The 1200S is a smart bike, if you can get one at less than list. Probably a few end of summer bargains around if you hunt for them. The 1100S is a good old workhorse, which looks particularly smart in the red white and blue boxercup colours. Be aware of flakey paint on forks and engines.

Take a long test ride though. if you're new to the boxer twin engine, it takes a while to get used to it's unique character. most BMW dealers would let you take a bike out for several hours, if you ask them 8)

Have fun testing and choosing.

Cheers,

Paul
You really need only two tools: WD-40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and it should, use WD-40. If it moves and shouldn't, use the tape.

iamwu

Postby iamwu » Fri Sep 21, 2007 12:08 pm

Guys

Thank you very much for the warm welcome... must be the light side.

Got a test ride at South London Motorcycles on Saturday to try both the R1100s and R1200s which they've got. Not a bad part of the world to test ride, at least compared to central london. I have heard from a friend who has had his GS from new for a few months now that it does take a little getting used to - so I shall allow for that :)

Anyway, looking forward to talking more in the near future.

Cheers.

- Will

Blackal

Postby Blackal » Fri Sep 21, 2007 12:18 pm

Welcome Will,

Can I suggest having a prolonged test of both, and to try the R1100s first?

If anything - take the 1100s away for an afternoon at the very least.

You won't go far wrong whichever you finally (perhaps) buy :D

(big difference in price, mind)

Al :D
If I am ever on life support - Unplug me......
Then plug me back in..........

See if that works .....
:?

f90x

Postby f90x » Fri Sep 21, 2007 3:04 pm

I have just moved from a CBR6 that I've had for 7 years and I think the 11s is great.

Red Fokker

Postby Red Fokker » Mon Oct 01, 2007 5:33 pm

I went from a fireblade to a GS some years ago and fell in love with the boxer engine - difficult to explain why its just got lovely waves of rideable torque and immense engine braking when rolling quickly off the throttle. This latter fact coupled with the unique suspension system ensures a very balanced ride. It will feel slightly agricultural at first if you're coming from an inline four, just give it time though because the engine is anything but rough, a bit of a contradiction I know but thats how I see it. Now on a R1100s which for my money is better than the GS for the real world... just my two penneth! :D

FalcoDog

Postby FalcoDog » Mon Oct 01, 2007 6:56 pm

I agree on the long test ride.

For my money; The 11S makes a great sporty ride that will tour well. The Boxer-Cup is the most desirable of the lot.

The 12S is more sport oriented, has more punch with less weight and it borders on being seriously fast. Both bikes have tremendous torque curves with power everywhere but the 12S will surprise you with its top end rush and agility. Both have huge character and make for a fun riding experience unique to the Boxer Ss.

The more I ride my 12S, the more I love it. I wouldn't trade it for any other bike made, period.
"Four wheels move the body.....Two wheels move the soul"

Return to “New Trixters?”