Boxer Cup Replika - Suspension Settings

Please introduce yourself...

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

Motostratos

Boxer Cup Replika - Suspension Settings

Postby Motostratos » Wed Oct 10, 2007 11:04 am

Hello Folks,

New to the forum, so looking forward sharing some of your vast knowledge !

I have a 2004 Boxer Cup Replika, owned from new after a succession of Japanese and Italian sports bikes. It did take some getting used to, but after nearly 4 years of ownership, I love it ! The bike has a full race - not the cat replacement pipe - Boxer Cup exhaust, which sounds amaising.

However, one thing I have never got to grips with are adjustments to the suspension. Does anyone have any experience for making effective changes, specifically recommendations for fast road use ? Springs and dampers are standard and don't plan to change these in the short term.

Look forward to hearing from you.

Thanks,

Nick

Paul
Wanna buy a sticker mister?

Postby Paul » Wed Oct 10, 2007 12:27 pm

Hi Motostratos,

How many miles have you covered in the 4 years of ownership? Any more than about 20k and your stock shocks are likely to be a little tired... Regarding adjustment, the front shock's adjustment wheel seems to have very little impact on the performance of the shock. Pick the angle of rotation which you find most aesthetically pleasing and stick with it. The rear shock is slightly more configurable, but there are not really night and day differences between the shock being fully wound off or on. Stick with the recommendations in the riders manual.

Lots of folks on here have experience with after market shocks on the R1100S and the general consensus is that it improves the handling of the bike beyond all recognition. Hold your breath, close your eyes and sign the cheque. You know you want to. :wink:

cheers,

Paul.
You really need only two tools: WD-40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and it should, use WD-40. If it moves and shouldn't, use the tape.

Motostratos

Postby Motostratos » Wed Oct 10, 2007 12:42 pm

Thanks, Paul.

I have experimented with the front and back and as you say the adjustment wheel for the front seems to have little effect. I have noticed a minor change to the rear, specifically 'softening' the settings for use when carrying a pillion.

Thought I may be able to avoid the aftermarket option, but may be the way to go.

I know Ohlins do a front and rear shock for the R1100S, are there any other alternatives to be recommended ?

Thanks,

Nick

Paul
Wanna buy a sticker mister?

Postby Paul » Wed Oct 10, 2007 2:45 pm

Several folks on the site have gone down the Ohlins route, which is good but a little pricey. I had a set of Technoflex, which are now known as Wilbers, which were about 60% of the cost of a set of Ohlins but almost (well to me anyway :wink: ) as good.

cheers,

Paul
You really need only two tools: WD-40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and it should, use WD-40. If it moves and shouldn't, use the tape.

ianc53

Postby ianc53 » Wed Oct 10, 2007 2:46 pm

I can vouch for Wilbers as well.

Cheers

Ian
Motorrad R1250RS SE 2023
Blue R100RS 1980
Suzuki GT250B 1977

Boxered
Route Master

Postby Boxered » Wed Oct 10, 2007 8:43 pm

Another vote for Wlbers here

Steve
Well-weathered leather
Hot metal and oil
The scented country air
Sunlight on chrome
The blur of the landscape
Every nerve aware

herrman
Trixter Tour Manager

Postby herrman » Wed Oct 10, 2007 8:56 pm

And another, Wilbers or Technoflex,Well worth the money IMHO.

Motostratos

Postby Motostratos » Thu Oct 11, 2007 1:00 pm

Great, I'll check it out with the UK distributor.

Return to “New Trixters?”