Greetings fellow S riders!

Please introduce yourself...

Moderators: Paul, slparry, Gromit

congoman

Greetings fellow S riders!

Postby congoman » Sat Jan 24, 2009 7:30 am

What a relief....

I've had my Silver R1200S for a year now and have only just come across this esteemed site!

Perhaps vicious Saturday morning hangovers are good for your brain after all! :lol:

For the record, I bought the bike as I was looking for the sportiest sport tourer on the market and I am very happy with it.

BMW ownership has not quite matched up to what I was expecting - immobiliser failure stranded me, both Ohlins shocks have had to be replaced (cracked plastic on springs) - but I am still a very happy bunny.

Perhaps there is one fly in the ointment - that hole in power and torque at around 5,000 revs. :? If any of you kind people are reading this, what is the easiest (and most cost effective) way to smooth this out. I am confused as to whether to change exhaust and/or header and/or go down the rapidbike3 route. Thanks in advance for any pearls of wisdom, 'tis really appreciated.

In the meantime perhaps I will catch some of you up at Hikers Cafe nr Arundel

cheers

User avatar Great Britain
stoney

Postby stoney » Sat Jan 24, 2009 7:59 am

Hi Congoman. Welcome to site. Congrats on your discovery of a very very good bike - shame about the colour :wink:

I've had mine since new in October 2006, done 18000 miles on it and love it. Its the best bike I have had in 6 years of riding, and I find it much more fun and rewarding than the GSs I have had. Mine is also fitted with the BMW panniers, a carbon fibre Ilmberger hugger, front fairing and tank panel plus a few others handy little things.

Before this the longest I had kept a bike was 18 months, and as itchy as my feet are for a change I can bring myself to get rid of either my S or 954 Blade as they fulfill my needs so well....and still bring a huge grin to my face every time I go out.

I have a K&N air filter and full akropovic system (minus the cat) fitted to my R1200s and it is much. much smoother and has a much more even power distribution that the OE set-up...but still not perfect, although I am perfectly happy with it. At £1300+ its not a cheap option though.

You can get a Rapidbike module from sandbar for around the £400-£500 mark. By all accounts this is quite effective although I have yet to personally talk to anyone who has fitted one to get first hand experience/feedback.

I guess the ultimate is to do both! Which is what PBoxer is about to do I think.

I also believe you can get a replacement ECU unit for about £800-£900 that is also meant to solve the problem.

How do you get on with the stepped throttle? Rich commented recently that BMW have done an update to remove it, although Peter F reckons that is was mechanical issue with a cam or something, so a software update wouldn't be possible. For the life of me I would swear its not stepped anymore on mine either....maybe I'm just used to it.

Hope to see you around some time....will we see you in Wales? or maybe even Scotland and put the other southern softies to shame! Anyone would think they were riding supermotos as they don't like to venture too far North! :P
Andy

peter f

Postby peter f » Sat Jan 24, 2009 8:12 am

Erm

1. As guru Roger Albert explains ECU "alternatives" are of 3 different types (MoTec : requires the rob a bank option)

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/showpost ... tcount=111

2. As idiot (yours truly) had discovered things are not SIMPLE

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/showthre ... f&t=449226

3. New kid in the block > Robert's latest interesting Idea (make the BMS-K do the job - Columbus egg or what?)

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/showthre ... f&t=451529

4. Various graphs/promise (if you believe graphs/promises) by M-TEC

http://www.m-tec.org/html/r1200s.html

5. My experience? Erm...maybe that RapidBike3 is the best thing (next to sliced bread) but...well...

All these > require some proper pipework (I like my HPE).

The cynical Peter
R12S, black, ex Ohlins (now WP), full HPE, RB3(in place - at last)

peter f

Postby peter f » Sat Jan 24, 2009 8:19 am

PS: that non linear throttle thing > indeed > no solution around I'm afraid

PS: HyperPro DOES (in a few weeks) hot cakes for R12S. Are you ready?

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/showthre ... f&t=450306

PS: Nitron (I like these guys) said to Peter:

Peter,

Apologies for the late reply, we have been working at the Autosport show and haven't been able to answer emails. Unfortunately we can't offer a solution for the front end of your particular model at the moment. We have all the data that we need to produce a front shock, but these type of shocks require a different top fitting to our normal shocks. We are very busy with a lot of other development projects at the moment so it is most likely to be a few months before we will be geared up to produce the special top fittings for these style of BMW shocks. Sorry we can't help you at the moment but thank you for your interest.

Kind Regards,
Scott.

Tel: +44 (0)1993 849449
Fax: +44 (0)1993 849482

e-mail: workshop@nitron.co.uk

peter f

Postby peter f » Sat Jan 24, 2009 8:23 am

Question : what type of exhaust do you have?

congoman

Postby congoman » Sat Jan 24, 2009 8:27 am

Hey Stoney

Good of you to get back to me.

Yeah there is no doubt this bike is a keeper! I must say with an Blade and an S you have got all bases covered! Good taste sir!

I've also added panniers and hugger to cover the touring bit.

It's an interesting comment you make about the stepped throttle. It is a pain in the 'rse but is quite practical on wet slippery roads when you are tired. It is a sport tourer after all. :)

I started out wondering whether it was an eliptical cam or something, but then came round to thinking (first bike I've had with FI) it was a mapping issue; it's not the first bike (carb or injected) to have a hole around these revs; to get through pollution regulation???

If an open system of the quality of Akra minimises the stepping feeling does that point to it being in the map???

I'm sure there are many people who know far more about it than me looking at the quality of comments on this forum.

Gosh you lucky Welsh.. I used to live in Bristol so I am somewhat acquainted with the motorcycle paradise that is Wales. You never know...this Southern jesse would enjoy a trip up there or even to Scotland.

Mind you I've heard it's winter all year round north of Watford gap:P so forgive me if I tend to pootle 10 miles to the ferry and head South

cheers

congoman

Postby congoman » Sat Jan 24, 2009 8:36 am

Wow

Thanks Peter f those links are v informative - great forum :D

I'm running a standard system.

cheers

congoman

Postby congoman » Sat Jan 24, 2009 8:39 am

Forgive me if I ask the informed one more question.

In a perfect world where money is no object:

Is it worth buying a Ti system as I believe it does not corrode nor get heat stain

or

stick with good old stainless which will not last for ever and does suffer from coloration?

User avatar England
Herb

Postby Herb » Sat Jan 24, 2009 8:44 am

The stepped throttle is by a cam, you can actually feel the difference in torque required on the twistgrip when the ratio changes during the last part of the travel.

This means that mapping can't correct it as the butterfly is still dependant on the position of the twistgrip.

I have only had my bike for 4 weeks or so and have only been able to put a few hundred miles on it, so I am not used to the throttle yet, but my brain is starting to compensate, the power is there, just needs a bit more throttle than you are used to to access it.
********Jim********
---------------------------
2006 'Colgate' R1200s

peter f

Postby peter f » Sat Jan 24, 2009 8:44 am

congoman wrote:Is it worth buying a Ti system as I believe it does not corrode nor get heat stain

Keep your cash for...erm...that MoTec thing

Titanium is fine if name's Valentino (that is : someone else pays the bill)

All babes gathered together:

https://eshop.t-online.de/epages/Store_ ... Auspuff%22

stoney

Postby stoney » Sat Jan 24, 2009 8:54 am

Hi Congoman.

I'm not Welsh...how dare you! I live in Leeds. But we have three Boxertrix weekends planned in the Days out section. Wales at the end of April, Scotland in June and Hawes in September.

I've got the Akropovic stainless front end and it is great quality, no marks etc and cleans up a treat! I've seen and heard the other systems out there and I still think the Akropovic is the best. Mine is two years old and still looks great.

Personally I think the steeped throttle does have it advantages, as the bike is so smooth (for a boxer) low down and makes slow, wet and town riding much more predictable. Apart from the first time I used it I have never really had an issue with it. I don't notice a hole in the delivery anymore either. I'm sure some of that is familiarity, some of it is the engine losening up and a lot of it is the K&N/Akropovic system.

I am tempted by the RB3 too. I need to have a word with Mr Sandbar!
Andy

congoman

Postby congoman » Sat Jan 24, 2009 9:03 am

Thanks for the responses guys: 'tis a real pleasure to be able to talk to such civilised fellow owners!

Stoney...thanks for the heads up about the Boxertrix weekends

peter f

Postby peter f » Sat Jan 24, 2009 1:35 pm

peter f wrote:
congoman wrote:Is it worth buying a Ti system as I believe it does not corrode nor get heat stain

Keep your cash for...erm...that MoTec thing

Erm...just made the maths > 10K (dollars) for that MoTec thing. Next ECU solution please.

stoney

Postby stoney » Sat Jan 24, 2009 1:41 pm

I'm going to have a word with these guys about the RB3. If they can supply and set-up for less than £500 i'd be tempted.

http://www.jwmotorcycles.co.uk/
Andy

peter f

Postby peter f » Sat Jan 24, 2009 2:45 pm

stoney wrote:I'm going to have a word with these guys about the RB3. If they can supply and set-up for less than £500 i'd be tempted.

http://www.jwmotorcycles.co.uk/

Trust the idiot (yours truly)

1. Tell them that's the theory > http://forums.pelicanparts.com/showpost ... stcount=65

2. Ask them to dyno your bike PRIOR installation

3. Compare diagrams (before-after)

Not OK? > go to 1

Return to “New Trixters?”