Not the NC500

Done a "Ewan & Charley"? Been for a fried breakfast and taken pictures? Share the tales of your adventure in here

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

BoxerCup R

Not the NC500

Postby BoxerCup R » Sat May 26, 2018 5:45 am

Now then

Sat 19th May 2018
Set out fully loaded on my XJR from Northallerton, N.Yorks and rode up to Edinburgh via the A68

ImageIMG_7082 by John Taylor, on Flickr

ImageIMG_7081 by John Taylor, on Flickr

where I stayed for 3 days in the most glorious sunshine and chilled with Carolyn while my XJR hid from site

ImageIMG_7084 by John Taylor, on Flickr

We had a ride to Saltire Motorcycles in Edinburgh and they had 4 lovely old bikes for sale

ImageIMG_7093 by John Taylor, on Flickr

Tues 22nd May

We headed to Oban to catch the ferry to Lochboisdale on South Uist where we would stay in the #Uiststormpods The weather was mild and perfect for riding cross country in Scotland. Fairly clear roads with no hold ups and made good time. Met a couple we know for some lunch before buying some food, wine and whisky for tonight.

ImageIMG_7114 by John Taylor, on Flickr

ImageIMG_7115 by John Taylor, on Flickr

ImageIMG_7116 by John Taylor, on Flickr

ImageIMG_7121 by John Taylor, on Flickr

ImageIMG_7124 by John Taylor, on Flickr

We were the only bike on the 15:15 ferry and we landed at 20:30. Literally 3 mins from the ferry and we were at our pod :D We met our hosts Graham and Catriona, unloaded the bike and ate our Paella with a lovely bottle of Chateauneuf de Pap outside on the decking 8) We lit a fire in the fire pit after eating and sat up till midnight drinking our Oban whisky, perfect. It was still light enough to take photos without a flash at 23:30, amazing

ImageIMG_5770 by John Taylor, on Flickr

ImageIMG_5769 by John Taylor, on Flickr

ImageIMG_5771 by John Taylor, on Flickr

ImageIMG_7126 by John Taylor, on Flickr

ImageIMG_7127 by John Taylor, on Flickr

ImageIMG_7129 by John Taylor, on Flickr

ImageIMG_7131 by John Taylor, on Flickr

ImageIMG_7134 by John Taylor, on Flickr

ImageIMG_7137 by John Taylor, on Flickr

ImageIMG_7143 by John Taylor, on Flickr

Wed 23rd May

I was up early #forachange-not and went for a little wander down to the port

ImageIMG_7155 by John Taylor, on Flickr

ImageIMG_7156 by John Taylor, on Flickr

ImageIMG_7157 by John Taylor, on Flickr

and then went for a dip in the sea, which was bloody freezing I'm gonna tell ya, I didn't stay in long lol

ImageIMG_7162 by John Taylor, on Flickr

ImageIMG_7163 by John Taylor, on Flickr

ImageIMG_7168 by John Taylor, on Flickr

Carolyn and I then donned our walking shoes and went for a walk to Ben Kenneth

ImageIMG_7172 by John Taylor, on Flickr

ImageIMG_7173 by John Taylor, on Flickr

ImageIMG_7175 by John Taylor, on Flickr

ImageIMG_7176 by John Taylor, on Flickr

ImageIMG_7177 by John Taylor, on Flickr

ImageIMG_7178 by John Taylor, on Flickr

ImageIMG_5776 by John Taylor, on Flickr

ImageIMG_7179 by John Taylor, on Flickr

ImageIMG_7181 by John Taylor, on Flickr

After a couple of hours we were back at Lochboisdale and had second breakfast sat outside in the sun at the cafe/post office/shop.

We went back to our pod and went for a ride on the bike heading up and through Benbecula to North Uist. We stopped off at a smokehouse and enjoyed some smoked salmon for lunch sat on the edge of a loch

ImageIMG_5791 by John Taylor, on Flickr

ImageIMG_5792 by John Taylor, on Flickr

ImageIMG_5793 by John Taylor, on Flickr

ImageIMG_7184 by John Taylor, on Flickr

We stopped at a war memorial and payed our respects to the islanders who had lost their lives in both wars

ImageIMG_7185 by John Taylor, on Flickr

Back in Lochboisdale we went for a refreshing pint at the hotel and booked a table for tonights evening meal
ImageIMG_7188 by John Taylor, on Flickr

ImageIMG_7193 by John Taylor, on Flickr

There is a causeway with a very unusual sign on it

ImageIMG_7195 by John Taylor, on Flickr

ImageIMG_7196 by John Taylor, on Flickr

Thurs 24th May

The sun shone on us yet again this morning for our ferry trip back to the main land and Mallaig

ImageIMG_7214 by John Taylor, on Flickr

and we were joined this time by Gerard on is GS from Glenshee

ImageIMG_7216 by John Taylor, on Flickr

ImageIMG_7217 by John Taylor, on Flickr

We passed beautiful Skye on the way to Mallaig

ImageIMG_7218 by John Taylor, on Flickr

ImageIMG_7219 by John Taylor, on Flickr

and arrived in Mallaig for 10:30

ImageIMG_7220 by John Taylor, on Flickr

A smart looking Manta was on the ferry too

ImageIMG_7221 by John Taylor, on Flickr

I stopped at Fort William for petrol and was about on fumes lol

ImageIMG_7222 by John Taylor, on Flickr

Next stop was Cluanie Inn for lunch on our way to Ullapool

ImageIMG_7223 by John Taylor, on Flickr

this guy on a scooter pulled up and he was from Austria :shock:

ImageIMG_7225 by John Taylor, on Flickr

and we arrived in Ullapool by 4pm after a fantastic days riding some of the greatest open mountain roads you can imagine bereft of traffic 8)

ImageIMG_7226 by John Taylor, on Flickr

ImageIMG_7227 by John Taylor, on Flickr

ImageIMG_7228 by John Taylor, on Flickr

after sunset
ImageIMG_7229 by John Taylor, on Flickr

Fri 25th May

Chuck Berry - Sweet Little Sixteen, 'Up in the morning and out on the bike', well, use your imagination lol We headed north from Ullapool and had arranged to meet friends who were travelling in the opposite direction this week at Durness for a coffee. We had to stop and get some photo's of the spectacular scenery on the way

ImageIMG_7234 by John Taylor, on Flickr

ImageIMG_7235 by John Taylor, on Flickr

and found this lovely cafe to have lunch in Durness where we met up with Keith and Julie

ImageIMG_7237 by John Taylor, on Flickr

more beautiful white sandy bays appeared all the way to John 'o' Groats where we were staying tonight

ImageIMG_7238 by John Taylor, on Flickr

ImageIMG_7239 by John Taylor, on Flickr

The view from our hotel at John 'o' Groats

ImageIMG_7240 by John Taylor, on Flickr

ImageIMG_7241 by John Taylor, on Flickr

ImageIMG_7244 by John Taylor, on Flickr

There was evidence of spirited riding yesterday :bounce:

ImageIMG_7246 by John Taylor, on Flickr

tbc............
"02 Yamaha XJR 1300SP in Kenny Roberts Yellow - (bought new)
"18 BMW S1000R Sports - (bought new)

"11 Porsche Boxster 987 S Black Edition No.261 of 987

popsky

Re: Not the NC500

Postby popsky » Sat May 26, 2018 7:07 am

Great write up John and some lovely photos :D
Phil.

R1200S and loving it !

Hoch Bergstraßenjäger…………………………………

Topcat

Postby Topcat » Sat May 26, 2018 6:14 pm

Wow...

What a great trip, thanks for the write up, think we know where we may be going next year!

See you in Wales!

BoxerCup R

Postby BoxerCup R » Sun May 27, 2018 6:24 am

Thanks lads, not finished yet :wink:

Tomcat > Looking forward to it :bounce:

big rob

Postby big rob » Sun May 27, 2018 6:27 pm

Aye, enjoyed reading this report and piccies of stunning Scotland whilst eating brekkie this morning, last thing we expected was to meet John & Carolyn in Braemar today :) Great to meet you both (and Dave the Kawasaki KH500 riding and Mamola Rep owning geezer) ....... we had a great day out and stonking ride home through Glenshee.
Rob & Gail

big rob

Postby big rob » Sun May 27, 2018 7:18 pm

BoxerCup R

Postby BoxerCup R » Mon May 28, 2018 4:48 am

Now then Rob & Gail, great to meet you in Braemar yesterday, Carolyn and I enjoyed a chat with you, hope to see you again sometime.

BoxerCup R

Postby BoxerCup R » Wed May 30, 2018 9:06 pm

Fri 25th May cont.............

We found a very good restaurant named Stacks in the craft courtyard that is a cafe during the day and turns into a restaurant at 6pm. The decor, food, service, beers, wine and whisky were all top notch and credit to the mother and daughter team who own and run it, definitely a place to visit if you venture up there. We had a walk along the coast to help the food go down in the cool windy breeze

ImageIMG_7247 by John Taylor, on Flickr

ImageIMG_5839 by John Taylor, on Flickr

ImageIMG_5840 by John Taylor, on Flickr

ImageIMG_5843 by John Taylor, on Flickr

ImageIMG_5844 by John Taylor, on Flickr

ImageIMG_5845 by John Taylor, on Flickr

ImageIMG_5848 by John Taylor, on Flickr

Sat 26th May

Breakfast bun in the Storehouse cafe next to the hotel and we set off in low cool cloud with a hint of mist in the air. We rode down the A99, straight through Wick not stopping to see if Wally the Walrus was sunbathing :lol: and around Bandbea we came across a line of cars queuing behind a wide load which had a convoy of vans and police with a police outrider at the front, about 300 yards infant slowing all traffic coming the other way and moving them over. I made my way to the front of the sue then safely got past the rear van, truck, front van, cop car then chased after the bike cop. We caught him just as we entered a load of twists with no traffic on either side of the road and we had a little play through the bends without me getting too close obviously but he enjoyed it as much as I did I reckon and when we came out of the solid white lined bends he moved over to the right lane ad waved me through, i gave him a thumbs up and on we rode, good fun.

We were ready for a break at Brora and parked on the pavement outside of a busy cafe on the main road for a coffee and hot cross bun

ImageIMG_7265 by John Taylor, on Flickr

ImageIMG_7266 by John Taylor, on Flickr

As we finished our snack the bloody convoy came past again, bollox :lol: So when we caught them up again at Dornoch I did the same but the bike cop had shot off across the impressive semi circular bridge across the Dornoch Firth. He had stopped all traffic at the far end and we were now infront of the convoy and so rode across the bridge with not another sole on it. As we left the bridge the bike cop gave us another wave which was canny :wink:

We pushed on and the weather improved to sun and heat again as we stopped at Rosiesle to visit Carolyns Mam & Dad. We sat in the garden and told them about our holiday so far and left them, heading for our stop that night at Grantown-on-Spey. We had a great 30 mile ride of open roads with beautiful woods, forests and hills right into the heart of the town. We parked up and sat on the grass to eat a sarnie for lunch soaking up the now hot sun

ImageIMG_7267 by John Taylor, on Flickr

We found our B&B off the main street and what a find. This by far the best place we stayed overnight. The couple, Neil and Anne were superb and he's a petrol head :P He had some awesome toys in the drive and garage, one car was No. 9 of only 20 ever made and it has 253 miles on the clock and he keeps it in a air conditioned bag :shock: 8) but the welcome, decor, rooms, breakfast and introductory whisky tasting were all awesome. iff we go back we will definitely stop there again, theres no question.
We walked out to the Garth hotel on the main street which had a beer garden in the sun and stayed there for an hour and a half in the afternoon sun

ImageIMG_6171 by John Taylor, on Flickr

ImageIMG_6172 by John Taylor, on Flickr

We met a young American couple and a French Canadian who were staying there too and had good chat while tasting whisky which helped break the ice, although I've never had a problem getting to know people :wink:

ImageIMG_7284 by John Taylor, on Flickr

ImageIMG_7285 by John Taylor, on Flickr

That night we ate at No.7 Bistro in the towns high street and again we stick lucky. The food, service and wine were very good and well worth a visit if you get the chance.

Sun 27th May

We had a brilliant breakfast at The Spey and then sat in the rear garden with Neil and Anne drinking coffee and 'chewing the fat' in the again hot sun, we e=were so lucky with the weather all the time we were away it was fantastic. Goodbyes were said and we set off for Edinburgh over the Cairngorms which I was looking forward to riding again. The weather stayed with us and if anything got as hot as had been all week so the ride was all that much better for it. The roads were pretty much empty even though it was a Sunday and we had a great ride. The A939 was closed at Colnabaichin and we followed a fantastic diversion through even quieter roads. We came up behind a 'Gixxer thou' riding through Ballater and followed him out of the town then had a great little race to Braemar. I've got video footage and will get it loaded a little later. Pulling into Braemar we met Rob and Gail as previously mentioned and had a chat to them then grabbed some lunch. There was some nice bikes in Braemar

ImageIMG_7286 by John Taylor, on Flickr

ImageIMG_7287 by John Taylor, on Flickr

ImageIMG_7292 by John Taylor, on Flickr

The last leg of our trip round Scotland was a real blast over the hills and through the valleys, alongside rivers and through the middle of forests. As we arrived in Edinburgh there was low cloud over the bridges and it was decidedly cold. We had a walk out for some dinner and then crashed out for a good nights sleep.

Mon 28th May

I was up and away early and had a decent ride back to Yorkshire although the weather was poor with a bit of mist and low cloud almost all the way home. I'd covered 1285 miles from and back to home and the bike was fly encrusted because there had been no rain to wash them off on any day but it was worth it, the trip was fantastic and will live long in the memory

ImageIMG_7293 by John Taylor, on Flickr

ImageIMG_7295 by John Taylor, on Flickr

Cheers 8)

popsky

Postby popsky » Wed May 30, 2018 10:23 pm

Superb John, but was the obligatory shot of the worn rear tyre in episode 1 really caused by spirited riding or the size of those panniers :mrgreen:
Phil.

R1200S and loving it !

Hoch Bergstraßenjäger…………………………………

BoxerCup R

Postby BoxerCup R » Thu May 31, 2018 4:34 am

popsky wrote:Superb John, but was the obligatory shot of the worn rear tyre in episode 1 really caused by spirited riding or the size of those panniers :mrgreen:

Aye, you're probably right, but don't tell everyone :wink:

BoxerCup R

Postby BoxerCup R » Fri Jun 01, 2018 9:58 am

A couple of videos of us chasing a Gixxer Thou into Braemar :twisted:

https://youtu.be/-vdH4kLjEUQ

https://youtu.be/v3QDWQ2FIuU

Topcat

Postby Topcat » Fri Jun 01, 2018 5:17 pm

:thumbright:

Mitch1100

Postby Mitch1100 » Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:33 pm

Wonderful photos..love the subterranean stay :wink:
2009 HP2 Sport...sold
2006 R1200s with yellow rim tape