Pothole Russian Roulette.

Done a "Ewan & Charley"? Been for a fried breakfast and taken pictures? Share the tales of your adventure in here

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

dobbo

Pothole Russian Roulette.

Postby dobbo » Wed Jun 15, 2022 12:30 pm

We've had a La Nina weather in N.S.W the last few months,floods,landslides and heavy rain for weeks at a time. I've been on a few rides during dry spells lanes closed due to land slides endless holdups for road repairs sections of tar washed away and literally thousands of potholes in every road.
The roads in country N.S.W were already atrocious but now they are often dangerous for motorcycles playing dodge the wheel swallowing and hidden holes in the road. I'm afraid the councils will never get on top of road repairs for years to come and now I have a leaking seal on the front Ohlins shock no doubt due to rough roads(bike done 46000kms).

boxerscott

Re: Pothole Russian Roulette.

Postby boxerscott » Tue Jun 21, 2022 11:42 pm

Pot holes are no respecter of any wheels, tyres or shocks. Perhaps today it pays to run around in and on things less precious.

I thought it was the action of freeze thaw that caused pot holes. You must have some heavy deluges recently.

Chris
Fiat Panda.
Fiat Scudo (with speedblock, pipe carrier, reversing sensors, reversing camera, tow bar, some new rust and Fake Plumber logo)

started out with nothing, still have most of it left.

slparry

Postby slparry » Thu Jun 23, 2022 8:04 am

On a recent trip to Moffat > Glasgow > Cambletown > Belfast > Donegal > Dublin > and home there was a pothole just outside Moffat that you could lose a bike in. Had it been raining and it had been full of water it would be easy to think of it as just a puddle with potential for catastrophe!
--
Steve Parry

Current fleet: '14 F800GS, '87 R80RS, '03 R1100S BoxerCup, '15 R1200RT LE Dynamic, '90 K1

ianc53

Postby ianc53 » Fri Jun 24, 2022 4:49 am

Come to sunny Fife.

It's been a hive of activity with all the routes from Edinburgh to St Andrews being resurfaced. It's the best they've been in the 25 years I've lived here.
Apparently the R&A have given Fife Council £11 million to sort them out before the Open Golf starts.

All the best

Ian
Motorrad R1250RS SE 2023
Blue R100RS 1980
Suzuki GT250B 1977

dobbo

Postby dobbo » Sat Jul 23, 2022 7:27 am

We've just had another flood event on the Australian east coast. The waters have now receded but have not had a chance to go riding due to poor weather. More landslides damaged road and wrecked previous uncompleted road repairs and now councils have exhausted their road repair budgets(not that they spent much on them anyway).
I've heard of 3 iconic bike roads that are now down to one lane in parts. The Putty road,the Oxley highway and now Kangaroo valley where I'm heading to later this year( the thinking being better roads down the south coast) I doubt they will ever fix these roads due to the steep terrain.
Got my front Ohlins shock resealed ($271.00 aus delivered) and refitted now keen for a ride.

dobbo

Postby dobbo » Mon Aug 29, 2022 1:20 pm

A few weeks back I got my front shock back and fitted. I had'nt been out for a ride for 3 weeks and finally got out for a quick 220k ride to Spencer down South on the Hawksberry River via Yarramalong Valley and back. I dont know if it was the rebuilt shock or just good to be riding again but the bike felt great.(the shock repairers set rebound at 11 clicks) They had done a good job repairing the roads and Spencer had been spared, the floodwater crossed the road but only came up to the bottom step of the general store. When I returned home I decided to set rear shock to 11 clicks on rebound and lone behold seal gone on rear shock ( seals leaked about 500ks apart). Sent rear shock for repairs still waiting to get it back(told 1 1/2weeks now 3weeks maybe) can't wait to ride again.

dobbo

Postby dobbo » Thu Nov 03, 2022 8:47 pm

Got my rear shock back from repairs in September $323 Aus and been for four rides in between rain periods. (still flooding over here ) Covered no more than 1500kms and lost gas out of rear shock bike now laid up again and shock sent back to repairers, pissed off.

Return to “Ride Reports”