Two wheels in the Pyrenees, Alps and Mont Ventoux

Done a "Ewan & Charley"? Been for a fried breakfast and taken pictures? Share the tales of your adventure in here

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

Welshman

Two wheels in the Pyrenees, Alps and Mont Ventoux

Postby Welshman » Thu Jul 04, 2013 8:07 am

I bet that got you thinking about some mega bike trip but I was talking about this type of two wheeled mode of transport:

For the technically minded that is a Time VXRS frame with an SRAM Red groupset, with a compact 50/34 front chainring and a 11/32 rear cassette - this was put on yesterday to replace an 11/28. The extra 4 teeth on the back give me about 15% lower gearing. I'm giving myself an extra margin as the Mont Ventoux climb is long and particularly brutal in that you have kilometre after kilometre where the gradient is around 9 or 10% - the whole climb is 21.5k and the elevation gained is over 1,500 metres.

I came over last week to ride L'Ariegeoise, a cyclosportif in the Midi-Pyrenees, on Saturday. These are big events on the continent - there were 4,105 riders over 3 courses.

This fitted in nicely with some business commitments during this week, so I'm now in Chamonix having a break prior to moving onto the next cycling challenge which is riding Stage 15 of the Tour de France on Sunday, July 7th.

Here are the stage details:

http://www.letour.fr/le-tour/2013/us/stage-15.html

The reason for this is that my good friend and motorcycling mate, Kyle, is this year riding all 3 grand tours in support of the Teenage Cancer Trust. He has already ridden the Giro D'Italia, and he is partway through the Tour route which he started 7 days before the pros. So the pros ride Stage 15 on Sunday 14th July. I'm going to join him to ride it on the 7th. In August he moves on to ride the Vuelta Espana.

He has his own website detailing each day's riding:

http://www.3gt4tct.org/

And his wife, Kay, who is driving the support vehicle has her own website detailing her view on each day's events. She writes very well and it's very funny:

http://www.callthisaholiday.org/

On a more serious note, Kyle is doing this entirely at his own expense so any amount donated to the TCT goes straight to it - no deductions. If you want to support a good cause then you find the link on the 3gt4tct site.
BMW K1200S
BMW HP2 Sport
BMW S1000 RR
BMW R90S
www.bbot.co.uk

eyore

Postby eyore » Thu Jul 04, 2013 8:22 am

Sorry, push bikes are just another of the numerous menaces on the road that cramp my motorcycling enjoyment. :wink:
2009 Triumph Speed Triple
2006 Aprilia Tuono RSVR

Welshman

Postby Welshman » Thu Jul 04, 2013 11:37 am

eyore wrote:Sorry, push bikes are just another of the numerous menaces on the road that cramp my motorcycling enjoyment. :wink:

I would have thought that the generally crap road surfaces you have over there are far more of a menace that any cyclist.
BMW K1200S

BMW HP2 Sport

BMW S1000 RR

BMW R90S

www.bbot.co.uk

slparry

Postby slparry » Thu Jul 04, 2013 11:38 am

There's an age group that wearing lycra should be banned :)
--
Steve Parry

Current fleet: '14 F800GS, '87 R80RS, '03 R1100S BoxerCup, '15 R1200RT LE Dynamic, '90 K1

eyore

Postby eyore » Thu Jul 04, 2013 11:55 am

Welshman wrote:
eyore wrote:Sorry, push bikes are just another of the numerous menaces on the road that cramp my motorcycling enjoyment. :wink:

I would have thought that the generally crap road surfaces you have over there are far more of a menace that any cyclist.

Those were the days. Not anymore, its a shock to cross the border into Norn Ireland or even UK . :shock:
2009 Triumph Speed Triple

2006 Aprilia Tuono RSVR

dave the german

Postby dave the german » Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:24 am

nice looking bike. I've got an ally frame with a carbon back end waiting to be built up. After the trip to Germany this year and seeing all the bikes, I could fancy going back with both the road bike and the mountain bike - aahhh so much to do and so little time and money to do it!!
'15 R1200GS TE
'06 R1200S
'04 BCR
Yam SR 500 long term restoration
wanna win the lottery and ride my bike

Return to “Ride Reports”