Guess where I went last week?

Done a "Ewan & Charley"? Been for a fried breakfast and taken pictures? Share the tales of your adventure in here

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

andy griff

Postby andy griff » Tue Aug 18, 2015 7:33 pm

Hmm, a plan begins to form.

I was left mentally scarred after my last 'go' but not enough not to go back. just like drugs ( so they tell me )

Hayden

Postby Hayden » Tue Aug 18, 2015 7:49 pm

andy griff wrote:Hmm, a plan begins to form.

I was left mentally scarred after my last 'go' but not enough not to go back. just like drugs ( so they tell me )

Boxertrix on steroids... :D

sounds like a good plan to me, I may well be up for that.. :thumbleft:

Quite a few corners, we using the `drop off` system? :wink:

Boxered
Route Master

Postby Boxered » Tue Aug 18, 2015 8:33 pm

Hayden wrote:

Quite a few corners, we using the `drop off` system? :wink:

Just so long as we don't use the fall off system, that one hurts lots :)

Steve
Well-weathered leather
Hot metal and oil
The scented country air
Sunlight on chrome
The blur of the landscape
Every nerve aware

andy griff

Postby andy griff » Tue Aug 18, 2015 8:43 pm

Top quality quips !

bins

Postby bins » Tue Aug 18, 2015 10:26 pm

Hi, I was there too, I don't want to put anyone off but I did 7 courses before I had 2 dry days, it is addictive!!! I've done both events this year, a month ago is was wet one day, last week it was perfect weather both days, must have been 30 English speaking riders there, it's an unbelievable experience, the instructor Kim takes Val around on the back whilst he's instructing. Take a look at this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vMu5rR_9bVE Neil from aeaventures.com describes it as 'top gun on two wheels'.
My friend and I made the mistake of doing laps during public traffic after the last day, (we just couldn't get enough) first lap fine, I led the second and about a cars width from the inside kerb there was a 2 foot wide diesel slick on every right hander, I saw it, straightened up, the front slipped and gripped just in time, I looked behind and my buddy was off. Every right hander around the full 14 miles had the worst diesel spill I'd ever seen, no harm done to bike or rider but it took the shine of one of the best experiences we'd ever had.
Last year we were able to do free lapping, Friday 13th June we only got I session that was not stopped, even if someone crashed at the start of the lap they red flagged it all the way, we only got 3 uninterrupted laps all day except the last session which was in group formation, sadly the days of free lapping seem to have gone for ever.
After our diesel slick experience I cannot see myself doing another lap in public traffic, imagine if we had not seen it after we had gone around T13 and crashed at the next fast right at the bottom of the hill.

SP250

Postby SP250 » Wed Aug 19, 2015 5:32 pm

Greg
Stick the bikes in a van and save the track day rubber for where it is most useful - don't waste it on the motorways, then have to buy new tyres to get back home. You will be a lot fresher too.

Bruno
You have found the best way to learn the 'Ring by doing the bike specific training courses. Even Neil Leigh says not to go out on public days now - too many idiots.
John M

Blackal

Postby Blackal » Wed Aug 19, 2015 6:20 pm

SP250 wrote:Greg
Stick the bikes in a van and save the track day rubber for where it is most useful - don't waste it on the motorways, then have to buy new tyres to get back home. You will be a lot fresher too.

Bruno
You have found the best way to learn the 'Ring by doing the bike specific training courses. Even Neil Leigh says not to go out on public days now - too many idiots.

Good thinking!

The only restriction in hiring a lot of vans - is the requirement to drive within the UK only. I'm sure some of the smaller companies won't bother much though.

Mind you - I reckon good Sports/Touring tyres would serve well at the 'ring - without the need to go for "pure-sports" tyres?

Al
:)
If I am ever on life support - Unplug me......
Then plug me back in..........

See if that works .....
:?

Boxermed69

Postby Boxermed69 » Sun Aug 23, 2015 10:16 pm

Thanks for sharing Mark. Sounds brilliant.

Flash Tours on steroids :shock: Not sure I could handle that.

Mike
Horizontally opposed, vertically challenged...

Henners

Postby Henners » Mon Aug 24, 2015 4:17 am

I rode the Ring with some mates in 2007 on a R1200R ~ scared myself $hitless :oops: These events are the way to go, it's a very unforgiving place.

Return to “Ride Reports”