The Wild Atlantic Way & Antrim Coast - Ireland

Done a "Ewan & Charley"? Been for a fried breakfast and taken pictures? Share the tales of your adventure in here

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

Flashman

The Wild Atlantic Way & Antrim Coast - Ireland

Postby Flashman » Sun Oct 25, 2015 12:22 pm

I can highly recommend a route several of us did last year up the west coast of Ireland and along the Antrim Causeway Coast. Amazing scenery, smooth roads with little traffic and a great craic to boot. It can be done relatively cheaply with the only the weather as a possible downside.

We took the Holyhead - Dublin ferry and rode to Brandon Bay via Dingle and the Connor Pass (not to be missed). We stayed here on the first night (Mount Brandon Hostel, Cloghane Village, Cloghane, Co. Kerry, Ireland) fairly cheaply with plenty of off road parking and a couple of excellent village pub/restaurants.

The following day we rode the Wild Atlantic Way which is clearly signposted. The EU have thrown lots of money at Ireland for road improvements and it hasn't gone to waste on the west coast. Our second night was spent in Westport (The Helm Apartments, The Quay, Westport, Co. Mayo, Ireland) where we enjoyed some excellent hospitality and fantastic live music.

The next day we continued our west coast route and rode to Londonderry, then on along the north Ireland coast to Ballintoy where we stayed for our final night (Hostel at 42A Main St, Ballintoy, Ballycastle, Moyle BT54 6LX).
Again some beautiful scenery was passed & enjoyed.

The final route back to Dublin was along the Antrim Causeway Coast (another fantastic road) to Belfast then followed the east coast to Strangford Lough where we took the short ferry ride from Portaferry to Strangford. From there we took the scenic route back to Dublin ferry port for the ferry home.

A brilliant trip which we were lucky enough to enjoy in the sunshine.

eyore

Postby eyore » Mon Oct 26, 2015 7:51 pm

You really need five days to do it justice from Donegal to Cork or t'other way buy yes its brilliant. I took a group from a Triumph forum on it in 2014 and they had a ball.
Some pics from that trip :D

2009 Triumph Speed Triple
2006 Aprilia Tuono RSVR

andy griff

Postby andy griff » Mon Oct 26, 2015 8:44 pm

That is nothing short of SPECTACULAR. That has given me an idea for a trip next year. Never done Ireland and now I want to.

Pardon me, but I was always told you needed a GS for the bumpy roads !

slparry

Postby slparry » Mon Oct 26, 2015 8:47 pm

Don't suppose anyone has any Garmin routes?
--
Steve Parry

Current fleet: '14 F800GS, '87 R80RS, '03 R1100S BoxerCup, '15 R1200RT LE Dynamic, '90 K1

eyore

Postby eyore » Mon Oct 26, 2015 9:03 pm

slparry wrote:Don't suppose anyone has any Garmin routes?

No,but......... http://www.wildatlanticway.com/trip-pla ... 9.924219|7

2006 Aprilia Tuono RSVR

slparry

Postby slparry » Tue Oct 27, 2015 7:07 am

eyore wrote:
slparry wrote:Don't suppose anyone has any Garmin routes?

No,but......... http://www.wildatlanticway.com/trip-pla ... 9.924219|7

Ta for that Kim, I've been looking at alternatives to Scotland and that may be a plan for 2017, next years Scottish trip is already in hand :)

Any particular routes you'd say "HAVE" to be done?
--
Steve Parry

Current fleet: '14 F800GS, '87 R80RS, '03 R1100S BoxerCup, '15 R1200RT LE Dynamic, '90 K1

bobtail

Postby bobtail » Tue Oct 27, 2015 8:37 am

Reckon I'd be up for that Steve.

Never 'done' Ireland except for a wedding in Belfast in darkest, snowy January so it would be good to see some more of it.

Bob
Are we there yet?

slparry

Postby slparry » Tue Oct 27, 2015 9:38 am

bobtail wrote:Reckon I'd be up for that Steve.

Never 'done' Ireland except for a wedding in Belfast in darkest, snowy January so it would be good to see some more of it.

Bob

Cool! Be a bit more of a challenge planning than the annual tour of Scotland as basically most roads north of Loch Lomond are fantastic and empty but it's one I'd like to plan out. Would be 5 or 6 days perhaps riding down to Fishguard and following the coast around to the north then back across via either Stranraer and loop to home
--
Steve Parry

eyore

Postby eyore » Tue Oct 27, 2015 1:51 pm

Personally I'd suggest crossing to Stranraer as you suggest Steve, ride the North Coast, calling to Giants Causeway,Bushmills Distillery and a oilgrimage to Ballymoney to Joeys Bar ,then start the WAW up at the top of Donegal. A lot of it is secondary roads so 200/220 miles a day is quite a lot, especially allowing
for photo stops, pit stops and cake stops . There are plenty of B&Bs which can be got for about €50 per night, lots of campsites for those who like that sort of thing.If you look at the mroute map you will see there are a lot of loops out to some of the sticky outy bits which take time and may be cut out if time is tight,but I'd strongly advise you to try and do the entire coast. The reason being the scenery ,roads and feel change dramatically all the way down . Having said that, anyone could bail out at either Galway or Clare and hit the motorway back to Dublin. Anyway of you get as far as Cork you have the option of motorway to Dubli for Holyhead ferry or Rosslare for Pembroke ferry.

If you do come over I'l join you for a few days. Free camping and Barbie at my place in Killimer ,near Kilrush where the ferry crosses the Shannon to Tarbert in Kerry.

2006 Aprilia Tuono RSVR

slparry

Postby slparry » Tue Oct 27, 2015 2:36 pm

eyore wrote:Personally I'd suggest crossing to Stranraer as you suggest Steve, ride the North Coast, calling to Giants Causeway,Bushmills Distillery and a oilgrimage to Ballymoney to Joeys Bar ,then start the WAW up at the top of Donegal. A lot of it is secondary roads so 200/220 miles a day is quite a lot, especially allowing
for photo stops, pit stops and cake stops . There are plenty of B&Bs which can be got for about €50 per night, lots of campsites for those who like that sort of thing.If you look at the mroute map you will see there are a lot of loops out to some of the sticky outy bits which take time and may be cut out if time is tight,but I'd strongly advise you to try and do the entire coast. The reason being the scenery ,roads and feel change dramatically all the way down . Having said that, anyone could bail out at either Galway or Clare and hit the motorway back to Dublin. Anyway of you get as far as Cork you have the option of motorway to Dubli for Holyhead ferry or Rosslare for Pembroke ferry.

If you do come over I'l join you for a few days. Free camping and Barbie at my place in Killimer ,near Kilrush where the ferry crosses the Shannon to Tarbert in Kerry.

Cool! Although I'd have to crib on the camping, I may have a GS but I prefer a hotel nowadays ;)
--
Steve Parry

eyore

Postby eyore » Tue Oct 27, 2015 5:27 pm

slparry wrote:
eyore wrote:Personally I'd suggest crossing to Stranraer as you suggest Steve, ride the North Coast, calling to Giants Causeway,Bushmills Distillery and a oilgrimage to Ballymoney to Joeys Bar ,then start the WAW up at the top of Donegal. A lot of it is secondary roads so 200/220 miles a day is quite a lot, especially allowing

Cool! Although I'd have to crib on the camping, I may have a GS but I prefer a hotel nowadays ;)

Me too :oops:

2006 Aprilia Tuono RSVR

bobtail

Postby bobtail » Tue Oct 27, 2015 8:10 pm

And me. I stopped tenting a long time ago when I realised it didn't cost all that much more to stay in an Auberge than camping!

Bob
Are we there yet?

slparry

Postby slparry » Tue Oct 27, 2015 9:10 pm

bobtail wrote:And me. I stopped tenting a long time ago when I realised it didn't cost all that much more to stay in an Auberge than camping!

Bob

and auberges have ensuite toilets, and I don't have to assemble, and disassemble, my room each time I want to use it :)

A bike, compared to a car, is by nature less comfortable, if I've spent a long day in the saddle the least I want is a bar, restaurant and a comfortable ensuite room :)
--
Steve Parry

nab 301

Postby nab 301 » Wed Oct 28, 2015 7:19 pm

I must do the whole route myself sometime , I've done sections of it over the years before it got a name.
Great if you get the weather , can be miserable if not.

Keep smiling, it makes people wonder what you've been up to!
1999 R1100s (mandarin) '
2018 DL 250V Strom
2019 CB125F Honda.
MZ301 Saxon Fun ( currently retired)
'03 Bullet 65 project..

slparry

Postby slparry » Wed Oct 28, 2015 7:23 pm

nab 301 wrote:I must do the whole route myself sometime , I've done sections of it over the years before it got a name.
Great if you get the weather , can be miserable if not.

a wet day on the bike is still better than a sunny day in the office ;)
--
Steve Parry

Return to “Ride Reports”