R9T test ride

Done a "Ewan & Charley"? Been for a fried breakfast and taken pictures? Share the tales of your adventure in here

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

f90x

R9T test ride

Postby f90x » Thu Aug 11, 2016 7:41 am

Took the R nine T for a test ride at the weekend whilst my 12S was in for the FD recall. It's the new 'sport' version in silver with the high level pipe. TBH I prefer the black one with the low pipe. I'm not a fan of high level pipes in general and this one looks like it's been cobbled together; the link pipe being particularly unattractive. In addition it's too loud for my delicate ears over a few hours. Sounds good on tick over though.

I took an R1200R out with the same DOHC engine when it was released so knew that I would like the performance and delivery but I also found the bike to be a lot more comfortable than the R as well which surprised me. The 9T is quite a bit smaller than the R and even though the space between seat and pegs is less I was comfortable for the two hours that I was on it. It has plenty of power for the type of bike that it is (105bhp) and is as you would imagine, a doddle to ride. It's ideal for bombing around the back lanes and aside from the standard suspension being a bit firm and crashy on less than perfect surfaces the handling was great. The brakes are fantastic, much the same performance as the Thruxton R but with a little less feel than the Triumph. Riding these modern bikes with radial brakes is great until I get back onto mine and realise that what I have are a bit dead in comparison, and up until these test rides I was perfectly happy with them! Now I want radial brakes! The riding position is as upright as I have ever experienced and does a good job of keeping the speed down. It's a nice bike to ride around at 70-80 but the engine wants to keep going more than that. I feel they this bike actually needs a delivery like the Thruxton and the Thruxton needs this engines power and characteristics. I had a lot of fun over the two hours blasting around the Cotswolds but ultimately I found it a bit soulless. 'Can't quite put my finger on why but perhaps it's because it's just 'so' easy to ride that I miss having something awkward to deal with.
Would I have one? Well despite my concerns of blandness it was a hoot to ride and ultimately very comfy compared to the R which gave me proper bum ache after half an hour. There's over 40 used models for sale in the market place at present and prices start at 8.5k with minimal mileage. Thing is, despite the Truxtons lower power and 'thinness' of that power at the top end, I think it's the better bike for me as I had to put a bit more into it and I like that. Thruxtons are 11.7k though so I might have to wait a while.
In the mean time me and my S are off to the Alps 'next' weekend for a fortnight. I wonder if either the 9T or the Truxton would treat me as well on such a trip...

R1200GS TC. Triple Black
R1200S. It’s gone. Had it 11yrs. My favourite bike in 42yrs riding.

Holdsworth professional
Motobecane C3
Brompton

slparry

Postby slparry » Thu Aug 11, 2016 7:48 am

The sport comes with both the low and the high level exhausts, as well as the rear subframes for no pillion rests or for with the pillion footrests. There's also an option to have a visible weld on the tank or a smooth tank.

Corbin do a seat for them and I reckon with a corbin seat and a Wundelich cockpit they would make a good alternative sports tourer :D
--
Steve Parry

Current fleet: '14 F800GS, '87 R80RS, '03 R1100S BoxerCup, '15 R1200RT LE Dynamic, '90 K1

Blackal

Postby Blackal » Sat Aug 13, 2016 2:16 pm

Van Harten know how to make a bike - attractive.........

Al :wink:
If I am ever on life support - Unplug me......
Then plug me back in..........

See if that works .....
:?

f90x

Postby f90x » Sat Aug 13, 2016 4:13 pm

Unfortunately the 'hot Asian girl with red hair and tiny shorts' option was really expensive so I went with the heated grips.
R1200GS TC. Triple Black
R1200S. It’s gone. Had it 11yrs. My favourite bike in 42yrs riding.

Holdsworth professional
Motobecane C3
Brompton

Blackal

Postby Blackal » Sat Aug 13, 2016 5:33 pm

f90x wrote:Unfortunately the 'hot Asian girl with red hair and tiny shorts' option was really expensive so I went with the heated grips.

Her "heated grip" might have been worth the premium....... :oops:

Al :D
If I am ever on life support - Unplug me......
Then plug me back in..........

See if that works .....
:?

boxerscott

Postby boxerscott » Wed Sep 14, 2016 9:20 pm

Not sure about the felt tip body art. Wot`s all that about?

The bike looks brilliant though. Would be better still with the gorgeous spoke wheels that MV use on the Stradale and give one the opportunity of sport tubeless tyres.
Fiat Panda.
Fiat Scudo (with speedblock, pipe carrier, reversing sensors, reversing camera, tow bar, some new rust and Fake Plumber logo)

started out with nothing, still have most of it left.

Return to “Ride Reports”