My XJR rideout weekend May 2017

Done a "Ewan & Charley"? Been for a fried breakfast and taken pictures? Share the tales of your adventure in here

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

BoxerCup R

My XJR rideout weekend May 2017

Postby BoxerCup R » Mon May 01, 2017 7:45 am

Phew, what a weekend and the rideout yesterday was as good as we've ever had, fast, safe and dry :eusadance:

So, it all began on Saturday. Ryan arrived at mine as I had finished washing the bike to make her look her best. I had 99,979 km on the clock and wanted to get a photo of the magic 99,999 and of course 00,000 when she went 'round the clock' so we would go for a blast to Helmsley, Stokesley home and at 3/4 of the way round I would get my photos because it would be easier to stop at the side of the road when it happens with a couple of us rather than 10 or 12 on the rideout on Sunday. As we were getting sorted to go my neighbour came along on his April Tuono and decided to come with us. Me & Carolyn led the lads down to Helmsley where we stopped for a coffee, there wasn't many bikes out, surprised really but hey ho. After our drinks we rode the Helmsley Stokesley TT and at Brompton just before arriving in Northallerton she went to 99,999 so as I had planned, we stopped and got the money shot 8)

We rode back to Teasedales bike shop and had a chat with the staff then headed home. Nick and Simon had arrived at the Vale so Ryan shot up there to get changed and after a short while I went up for them all to bring back to ours for some tea. Carolyn had made Cottage pie and the drink flowed. We had beers, then Carolyn, Nick and myself had some red wine, er 3 bottles to be accurate and then for some unknown reason I got my very small collection of whiskys out on the table and Simon, Nick and I gave them all a 'good go', MISTAKE :shock: :lol: We phoned a taxi to take the lads back to the Vale and they left at :dontknow: no idea actually :oops: :lol:

Everything was fine until I woke up, still pissed I believe, which is not unusual for an XJR meet but I had to get some fresh air so at 6am Carloyn and I went for a walk with me 'huffing and puffing' as we made our way round a 5km route, I was no better :lol: a quick bath an then Geoff (Dougal1) arrived for breakfast. We chatted and it was soon time to go meet everybody at the Vale. We had all filled up before meeting, that's a first ;-) and introductions were made and the chatting began. Roll call :-

Me and Carolyn - XJR
Ryan - XJR
Nick - XJR
Simon - Super Tenere
Dougal1 (Geoff)- XJR
Tom - Speed Triple
Mark M - XJR
Filo (Daz)- Versys
Sam & Elaine - Z1000SX
Harry - SV650
Nigel and Niall (father and son) GSXR1100

That was it and off we set. I'd decided to take us up the A68, away from all the Tour de Yorkshire traffic and cops and so took the A167 to Darlington and then the A68 to Otterburn. The roads were quiet, amazing for a major route on a bank holiday weekend but we were happy and it was bitterly cold when we rose up to Tow Law and didn't get any warmer by the time we reached The Otterburn Mill for lunch http://www.otterburnmill.co.uk/weavers-restaurant/ everyone was glad of the stop, it was 1145am. First time I've stopped here and its well worth a pop in for a bite to eat and next time I may have a more detailed look around because theres plenty of woollen manufacturing history and local life history in and around the Mill, for another time though. All fed and watered, we set off for our next leg, to Bellerby and the Manor Cafe.

We left the Mill and rode straight over the A68 and onto the B6320, through Bellingham, Wark and onto Hexham. What a fantastic road, never been on it but I will make a point of riding or driving it again this year. The road is a ribbon of sublime tarmac with superb bends that you can see round through the pig wire fencing and no 'catch you out' hairpins or very sharp corners that can catch you out. We loved it and it took all my reserve not to turn around a ride it in reverse lol. We took the B6306 form Hexham, by passing Slaley Hall and into Blanchland. We then 'underpassed' Derwent Reservoir and into Edmunbyers. We joined the B6278 here which led us to Stanhope. The roads were much better in the afternoon and it was a tad warmer with the sun making an appearance and us dropping nearer sea level. The 'second man drop off' system I have used for many years now and it works perfectly, until someone doesn't do what they are supposed to do and so it happened as we reached Stanhope. We had got split into two groups as we headed for Stanhope and as we joined the A689 in Stanhope then picked up the B6278 again, the second group diverted, not knowing we had turned off the A689. We rode for about 7 miles before I could see we had some missing so I stopped. We waited a while then I headed back up the road fearing the worst but reached Stanhope and had found nothing, hallelujah lol. I returned to the group and pressed on through Eggleston, Barnard Castle, A66, Richmond, Downhole and Bellerby to The Manor Cafe. We had txt messages back and forth with the second group and Sam and Elaine had got separated from them but they were all good and had made their way back to base and the Vale. We saw a couple of old British bikes at the cafe

Bloody immaculate and gorgeous, although I felt for the guy on the AJS, it did not want to start ! ha ha, Old Brit Iron eh lol.

We filled up at Leyburn and did not mess about riding via Middleham and Masham heading for Thirsk. Mark left us at the A1 to head back to Birmingham and we had a spirited ride back to The Vale. Everyone was back safe and sound and the drinking began. Jules, the landlord, was not doing food but was happy for us to order in pizzas so a £50 order was made and delivered in double quick time.

After eating we all went back to our homes or rooms at the inn, freshened up and were back in the pub for more chat about the day, banter about the incidents we all had and the Craic. My mate Bri was soon in the pub to run Play Your cards Right which costs a quid each time you want to try and win a gallon of beer put up by Jules and the proceeds went to the Air Ambulance, no body won the beer this year lol Karaoke next, Elvis made an appearance and we sang our hearts out until Jules chucked us out at 00:30. We'd had a kitty running and we put the remains, about £15 into the Air Ambulance pot and that was that. Carolyn and I got a taxi home and fell into bed. A great day was had all round. New roads found, one or two special ones I've logged and will make a point of finding again, new friends made, Mark and Nigel and Niall was their first time on my rideout, it stayed dry and the riding was brilliant. Another success and as I always say, it's the people that make meets, rideouts and weekends what they are, without those that turn up it wouldn't happen, so thank you and roll on the next one.

Cheers
"02 Yamaha XJR 1300SP in Kenny Roberts Yellow - (bought new)
"18 BMW S1000R Sports - (bought new)

"11 Porsche Boxster 987 S Black Edition No.261 of 987

popsky

Re: My XJR rideout weekend May 2017

Postby popsky » Mon May 01, 2017 10:36 am

Excellent write up sounds very much like a Boxertrix weekend :lol: infact you'll fit right in :D
Phil.

R1200S and loving it !

Hoch Bergstraßenjäger…………………………………

boxerscott

Re: My XJR rideout weekend May 2017

Postby boxerscott » Fri May 19, 2017 12:16 am

Aye good. You are getting there, the further north you ride the roads get even better. Thanks for sharing that. Great historical artefacts still in place at Otterburn Mill. The a696/A68 from Ponteland to Jed is an absolute corker.

Chris
Fiat Panda.
Fiat Scudo (with speedblock, pipe carrier, reversing sensors, reversing camera, tow bar, some new rust and Fake Plumber logo)

started out with nothing, still have most of it left.

Return to “Ride Reports”