Guitar Acquisition Syndrome

Hifi, computers, cameras etc; gadgets and general chat about any other interesting hobbies you have.

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

User avatar
slparry
Moderator
Posts: 6654
Joined: Sat Sep 20, 2008 7:19 pm
Location: Wrexham
Contact:

Guitar Acquisition Syndrome

Postby slparry » Tue Apr 09, 2024 2:39 pm

Well ... I appear have a collection.... There's another two classicals not in this image

FB_IMG_1712673136877.jpg
FB_IMG_1712673136877.jpg (77.07 KiB) Viewed 3258 times


From left

Epiphone Les Paul
Epiphone Hummingbird Pro
Yamaha F370
Lorenzo Hummingbird
Suzuki 1663 Classical built 1971

Managed to get the Suzuki yesterday, I have another identical one but that's a 1973

I seem to be enjoying the classicals more so am playing/ learning a lot of Spanish composer pieces.

I last played in 1975 but thankfully a lot has come back, just the fingers aren't as nimble nowadays
--
Steve Parry


Current fleet: '14 F800GS, '87 R80RS, '03 R1100S BoxerCup, '15 R1200RT LE Dynamic, '90 K1

User avatar
Blackal
Posts: 8260
Joined: Fri Jul 29, 2005 7:53 pm

Re: Guitar Acquisition Syndrome

Postby Blackal » Tue Apr 09, 2024 5:07 pm

Nice !

If you have so many acoustics - you're obv not too shabby a player?

I cannot play a note, but decided last year - to buy an object d'art in the form of a Gibson Les Paul.

Does that make me a bad person for buying a guitar as art?

It's on a minimalist stand in the living room.

I might get around to a few power-chords to impress the neighbours :lol:

Got this:

'60s style, non-weight relieved LP in 'Unburst' finish.
Attachments
LP unburst.JPG
LP unburst.JPG (257.81 KiB) Viewed 3252 times
If I am ever on life support - Unplug me......
Then plug me back in..........

See if that works .....
:?

dave the german
Member
Posts: 3620
Joined: Tue Nov 01, 2005 4:35 am
Location: North East

Re: Guitar Acquisition Syndrome

Postby dave the german » Tue Apr 09, 2024 7:25 pm

Looks like a nice collection - I've fallen into the same trap!! Think I've got 11 at the moment including a Manuel Rodriguez classical and a fretless bass bought after a few too many beers and listening to a track from Robert Plant's Fate of Nations (there's a brilliant sounding fretless). I took some ABRSM grade exams in my late teens and really want to get back into playing more
'15 R1200GS TE
'06 R1200S
'04 BCR
Yam SR 500 long term restoration
wanna win the lottery and ride my bike

User avatar
slparry
Moderator
Posts: 6654
Joined: Sat Sep 20, 2008 7:19 pm
Location: Wrexham
Contact:

Re: Guitar Acquisition Syndrome

Postby slparry » Wed Apr 10, 2024 8:23 am

Blackal wrote:Nice !

If you have so many acoustics - you're obv not too shabby a player?

I cannot play a note, but decided last year - to buy an object d'art in the form of a Gibson Les Paul.

Does that make me a bad person for buying a guitar as art?

It's on a minimalist stand in the living room.

I might get around to a few power-chords to impress the neighbours :lol:

Got this:

'60s style, non-weight relieved LP in 'Unburst' finish.



Ooo very nice Al, sign up to a local tutor for a half hour a week it'll do wonders and it's a shame for such an instrument to not be played
--
Steve Parry


Current fleet: '14 F800GS, '87 R80RS, '03 R1100S BoxerCup, '15 R1200RT LE Dynamic, '90 K1

User avatar
slparry
Moderator
Posts: 6654
Joined: Sat Sep 20, 2008 7:19 pm
Location: Wrexham
Contact:

Re: Guitar Acquisition Syndrome

Postby slparry » Wed Apr 10, 2024 8:25 am

dave the german wrote:Looks like a nice collection - I've fallen into the same trap!! Think I've got 11 at the moment including a Manuel Rodriguez classical and a fretless bass bought after a few too many beers and listening to a track from Robert Plant's Fate of Nations (there's a brilliant sounding fretless). I took some ABRSM grade exams in my late teens and really want to get back into playing more


Fantastic Dave.

I played a bit in the 70's and am enjoying twiddling again

My inspiration at present is Ana Vidovic as here

https://youtu.be/inBKFMB-yPg?si=H_zgxo25X_nWPTjr
--
Steve Parry


Current fleet: '14 F800GS, '87 R80RS, '03 R1100S BoxerCup, '15 R1200RT LE Dynamic, '90 K1

User avatar
RiceBurner
The Mirthman Prophecy
Posts: 1160
Joined: Wed Feb 18, 2004 10:30 am
Location: Hiding in your blind spot....
Contact:

Re: Guitar Acquisition Syndrome

Postby RiceBurner » Wed Apr 10, 2024 8:36 am

Very nice.

I'm terrible with music, I'd love to be able to play, but simply don't have an ear for it (and believe me, I've tried!)

Currently have one of those (hoick-ptui) plastic bodied semi-acoustics in the loft, A Crafter.

Image

I must get it out again and put it on the wall, I can't play it, but they are lovely things to look at.
non quod, sed quomodo

User avatar
Blackal
Posts: 8260
Joined: Fri Jul 29, 2005 7:53 pm

Re: Guitar Acquisition Syndrome

Postby Blackal » Wed Apr 10, 2024 10:12 am

slparry wrote:

Ooo very nice Al, sign up to a local tutor for a half hour a week it'll do wonders and it's a shame for such an instrument to not be played


You know what - you are absolutely right. That is something for this autumn/winter. :headbang:
If I am ever on life support - Unplug me......
Then plug me back in..........

See if that works .....
:?

User avatar
slparry
Moderator
Posts: 6654
Joined: Sat Sep 20, 2008 7:19 pm
Location: Wrexham
Contact:

Re: Guitar Acquisition Syndrome

Postby slparry » Wed Apr 10, 2024 1:16 pm

RiceBurner wrote:Very nice.

I'm terrible with music, I'd love to be able to play, but simply don't have an ear for it (and believe me, I've tried!)

Currently have one of those (hoick-ptui) plastic bodied semi-acoustics in the loft, A Crafter.

Image

I must get it out again and put it on the wall, I can't play it, but they are lovely things to look at.



Ooo that's purdy :)
--
Steve Parry


Current fleet: '14 F800GS, '87 R80RS, '03 R1100S BoxerCup, '15 R1200RT LE Dynamic, '90 K1

User avatar
slparry
Moderator
Posts: 6654
Joined: Sat Sep 20, 2008 7:19 pm
Location: Wrexham
Contact:

Re: Guitar Acquisition Syndrome

Postby slparry » Wed Apr 10, 2024 1:18 pm

Blackal wrote:
slparry wrote:

Ooo very nice Al, sign up to a local tutor for a half hchords week it'll do wonders and it's a shame for such an instrument to not be played


You know what - you are absolutely right. That is something for this autumn/winter. :headbang:


Nice easy one to learn is "Stand by Me" it'll sound great!!

4 simple chords repeated
--
Steve Parry


Current fleet: '14 F800GS, '87 R80RS, '03 R1100S BoxerCup, '15 R1200RT LE Dynamic, '90 K1

dave the german
Member
Posts: 3620
Joined: Tue Nov 01, 2005 4:35 am
Location: North East

Re: Guitar Acquisition Syndrome

Postby dave the german » Wed Apr 10, 2024 5:52 pm

slparry wrote:
dave the german wrote:Looks like a nice collection - I've fallen into the same trap!! Think I've got 11 at the moment including a Manuel Rodriguez classical and a fretless bass bought after a few too many beers and listening to a track from Robert Plant's Fate of Nations (there's a brilliant sounding fretless). I took some ABRSM grade exams in my late teens and really want to get back into playing more


Fantastic Dave.

I played a bit in the 70's and am enjoying twiddling again

My inspiration at present is Ana Vidovic as here

https://youtu.be/inBKFMB-yPg?si=H_zgxo25X_nWPTjr


Yep I've seen some of her videos. Listen to Berta Rojas play Barrios - absolutely brilliant. I've been fortunate to see my classical guitar hero from the 3rd row - John Williams - it really was spine tingling. Berta Rojas was supposed to be appearing with him but was diagnosed with breast cancer. Her replacement was Gary Ryan - Google Benga Beat by him - makes me wonder if it's worth practising!!
'15 R1200GS TE

'06 R1200S

'04 BCR

Yam SR 500 long term restoration

wanna win the lottery and ride my bike

dave the german
Member
Posts: 3620
Joined: Tue Nov 01, 2005 4:35 am
Location: North East

Re: Guitar Acquisition Syndrome

Postby dave the german » Wed Apr 10, 2024 5:54 pm

Blackal wrote:
slparry wrote:

Ooo very nice Al, sign up to a local tutor for a half hour a week it'll do wonders and it's a shame for such an instrument to not be played


You know what - you are absolutely right. That is something for this autumn/winter. :headbang:


Horse with no name - I know it's acoustic but it's only 2 chords - Incidentally I've got a Squier acoustic for sale :wink:
'15 R1200GS TE

'06 R1200S

'04 BCR

Yam SR 500 long term restoration

wanna win the lottery and ride my bike

User avatar
popsky
Member
Posts: 1879
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2009 5:09 pm
Location: Minehead Somerset

Re: Guitar Acquisition Syndrome

Postby popsky » Thu Apr 11, 2024 6:21 pm

:mrgreen: I can hear/see our own band thrashing it out at the Hand in the very near future :mrgreen:

Woh betide anyone who closes the door on that ensemble :toothy1: :toothy1: [smilie=guitar2.gif] [smilie=guitar2.gif] [smilie=guitar2.gif] [smilie=guitar2.gif] [smilie=mutley laugh.gif]
Phil.

R1200S and loving it !

Hoch Bergstraßenjäger…………………………………

dave the german
Member
Posts: 3620
Joined: Tue Nov 01, 2005 4:35 am
Location: North East

Re: Guitar Acquisition Syndrome

Postby dave the german » Sat Apr 13, 2024 4:25 pm

popsky wrote::mrgreen: I can hear/see our own band thrashing it out at the Hand in the very near future :mrgreen:

Woh betide anyone who closes the door on that ensemble :toothy1: :toothy1: [smilie=guitar2.gif] [smilie=guitar2.gif] [smilie=guitar2.gif] [smilie=guitar2.gif] [smilie=mutley laugh.gif]


I think you've got ensemble and cacophony mixed up :lol:
'15 R1200GS TE

'06 R1200S

'04 BCR

Yam SR 500 long term restoration

wanna win the lottery and ride my bike


Return to “Geeks' Corner”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests