Blackberry Z10

Hifi, computers, cameras etc; gadgets and general chat about any other interesting hobbies you have.

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

slparry

Blackberry Z10

Postby slparry » Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:35 pm

After using Nokia phones for the last 20 years I've changed to a Z10, after liking the Playbook interface. The Z10 has a newer version of the Playbooks interface, and is a great device.

One really neat feature is the Z10 acts as a remote control for the Playbook, so if the tablet is connected via HDMI to a tv to watch a movie of streamed content the phone will remote control it, or do the same if say a PowerPoint presentation is running on it
--
Steve Parry

Current fleet: '14 F800GS, '87 R80RS, '03 R1100S BoxerCup, '15 R1200RT LE Dynamic, '90 K1

Blackal

Postby Blackal » Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:40 am

I availed myself of a 64GB Playbook (for work) at the much reduced price, and while I like the way you can just drop vids/music onto it................. :)

It ain't no ipad - that's for sure. :?

Unfortunately for Blackberry - Apple had such a good product in the Ipad, that in order to make the Playbook different - they ended up with the 2nd best option for most of the features.

I have to say, that given the choice of taking either the Ipad/keyboard or the Playbook/keyboard on a bike tour - I think I would still opt for the ipad, even though it is the larger of the options.

Al
If I am ever on life support - Unplug me......
Then plug me back in..........

See if that works .....
:?

Dai wiskers

Postby Dai wiskers » Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:05 am

I still can't get the computer to recognise the playbook apparently it's a known problem with vista
I have spent hours and hours trying to work this out both with the playbook and also over the last 2 years with a blackberry pearl

Got to laugh i got Ann a tablet for her birthday bl00dy thing works with no problems at all

Never mind Angry birds works fine on the playbook even if it cost double what Ann paid for her android version

Kobo books are quite good but i wish i could get Kindle on it i know it can be done but your computer has to recognise blackberry to side load it
My bike shines when it rains!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dyslexic Dai

Steptoe
http://www.gsshop.biz/

Dan Cata
http://boxer-upgrades.webs.com/

Lennie
http://www.boxer-performance.com/index.html

Blackal

Postby Blackal » Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:13 am

Dai - Have you tried disabling your firewall? Or - tried a different USB cable?

I had a brief problem with the recognition, and found that the cable I was using was off a Scala G4 or similar. It worked okay with the correct cable.

Al
If I am ever on life support - Unplug me......
Then plug me back in..........

See if that works .....
:?

Herb

Postby Herb » Sun Feb 24, 2013 7:13 am

Love my Playbook. Prefer the way it operates to my ipad. If it had a bigger screen it would be perfect. Interested in the Bb10 update when we get it.

As for phones, if I had a choice I would probably go for blackberry just to be different, but work have just replaced my old blackberry with an iPhone. It looks cool, but they are not as good as most people think they are, and there are some features missing when compared to my personal android htc.
********Jim********
---------------------------
2006 'Colgate' R1200s

David_S_Walker

Postby David_S_Walker » Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:08 am

Hello,

Will be definitely getting the new Blackberry Z10 in May/June time when my current contract runs out - Vodafone are already offering it as a free upgrade on to tariffs very similar to the one I am already one so will just have to wait until then.

For the £129 that some of us paid for the Playbook I have been really pleased with it and seems to cope with all I can throw at it so I have no desires to swap to any other device to try and integrate with it.

Best regards,

David
The Hokey Cokey. What if that is what life is all about?
BMW R1200S-2006 with much carbon,PCIII & Schnitzer,
Subaru Outback 3.0 R N 2006 and an Abarth 595 MTA 180 Competizione Convertible

slparry

Postby slparry » Sun Feb 24, 2013 11:27 am

Dai wiskers wrote:I still can't get the computer to recognise the playbook apparently it's a known problem with vista
I have spent hours and hours trying to work this out both with the playbook and also over the last 2 years with a blackberry pearl

Got to laugh i got Ann a tablet for her birthday bl00dy thing works with no problems at all

Never mind Angry birds works fine on the playbook even if it cost double what Ann paid for her android version

Kobo books are quite good but i wish i could get Kindle on it i know it can be done but your computer has to recognise blackberry to side load it

I'm using Windows 7 and haven't had any issue connecting the PB or the Z10 to any of my PC's.

You need to
PB
Settings
Storage and Settings
USB connections: Connect to Windows

Take note in Network Identification of
Tablet network name
Workgroup
Username

File Sharing On
Wi-Fi Sharing On
Password Protect On (and set password)

Then when the PC and the PB are both connected to the wifi on the PC go to the start pearl and in the search box type

\\thetabletnetworkname

and it should connect. If it asks for a username and password then in the username part type the previously noted details

tabletworkgroupname\tabletusername

and whatever your set the password to

it should connect with those details

I've sideloaded Kindle onto it and it works well

Al, what does the ipad do that the PB can't? From my perspective I wanted a device that could do email and browsing and transfer pictures etc to Skydrive and Facebook when on the move.

I support several apple devices at work and dislike them intensely ... and especially dislike itunes and all the crap it puts onto a users pc.
Last edited by slparry on Sun Feb 24, 2013 11:41 am, edited 2 times in total.
--
Steve Parry

Current fleet: '14 F800GS, '87 R80RS, '03 R1100S BoxerCup, '15 R1200RT LE Dynamic, '90 K1

slparry

Postby slparry » Sun Feb 24, 2013 11:33 am

David_S_Walker wrote:Hello,

Will be definitely getting the new Blackberry Z10 in May/June time when my current contract runs out - Vodafone are already offering it as a free upgrade on to tariffs very similar to the one I am already one so will just have to wait until then.

For the £129 that some of us paid for the Playbook I have been really pleased with it and seems to cope with all I can throw at it so I have no desires to swap to any other device to try and integrate with it.

Best regards,

David

The Blackberry Bridge feature also seamlessly allows the PB to use the Z10's internet connection which is handy
--
Steve Parry

David_S_Walker

Postby David_S_Walker » Sun Feb 24, 2013 11:38 am

slparry wrote:
The Blackberry Bridge feature also seamlessly allows the PB to use the Z10's internet connection which is handy

That is good to know -Thanks.

Of coure I am going to try and get Vodafone to let me upgrade earlier....

....I find "Put me through to your disconnections team please" often helps :D

Best regards,

David
The Hokey Cokey. What if that is what life is all about?
BMW R1200S-2006 with much carbon,PCIII & Schnitzer,
Subaru Outback 3.0 R N 2006 and an Abarth 595 MTA 180 Competizione Convertible

slparry

Postby slparry » Sun Feb 24, 2013 11:45 am

David_S_Walker wrote:
slparry wrote:

That is good to know -Thanks.

Of coure I am going to try and get Vodafone to let me upgrade earlier....

....I find "Put me through to your disconnections team please" often helps :D

Best regards,

David

I've been with O2 from the days when they were BT Cellnet, so I guess 20 years ? .... My contract was due for renewal on the 20th Feb ... O2 had an offer on the Z10 where the phone was free up to the 13th Feb. I tried to get them to upgrade me a week earlier and drew a blank.

Then on the 20th the "offer" had ended and it was £99 for the phone, I called them and whinged a bit and got the phone for nowt :)
--
Steve Parry

slparry

Postby slparry » Sun Feb 24, 2013 6:11 pm

oooooo new feature!

The Z10 has voice control.

While pairing my Z10 to my BMW Navigator on my K12GT I notice a number appear in the sat navs phone book for a "fake" number listed as Blackberry Voice Control. Dialing it allows the VC function to be accessed.

The sat nav has a quick access Call Home button, now as I live alone calling home's a bit pointless as there's no one to answer the call :)

So I made the Call Home number the Blackberry Voice Control. Now pressing Call Home allows me to ask the phone to perform various tasks. For example while riding I can say to the phone

"send text to usernames mobile I'm running late should be with you in 20 minutes"

and off it goes and does it, no fuss how cool is that, it also works for emails or to call a number rather than try and scroll through the phone book manually :)
--
Steve Parry

Return to “Geeks' Corner”