Mountain Lion > Snow Leopard

Hifi, computers, cameras etc; gadgets and general chat about any other interesting hobbies you have.

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

Gromit

Mountain Lion > Snow Leopard

Postby Gromit » Thu Oct 10, 2013 4:05 pm

Now, I've never been one to get evangelical about Macs but once I got used to our iMac and MacBook the whole 'computer-user' experience has been great. Not one single crash/freeze/slowing-up in 5 years. As someone who makes a lot of use of photo software and music archiving it's a dream. :)

However...

I recently 'upgraded' to Mountain Lion on my MacBook (2009 ali-body/2.66GHz/4 GB ram) and it's truly bloody awful. It's slow, it freezes up every so often and it's really p*ssing me off. Snow Leopard was fast, smooth and just a great OS to use.

So a question for my fellow Mac-using Trixter friends - is it possible to downgrade to Snow Leopard? I have the install disc but really don't have a clue about how to wipe the HD and start again. I've got an external HD ready to go for backing-up stuff (I've got over 60GB of hi-res music, let alone the huge amount of photos).

Thanks for any help folks. :)

Twinspark

Postby Twinspark » Thu Oct 10, 2013 10:03 pm

Back up, boot from CD, format (you get an option to launch disc utility) and re-install.

However... I'd probably do a clean install of Mountain Lion first, as it's flying along on my 2008 MacBook Pro.
Fucked Off!

Boxered
Route Master

Postby Boxered » Thu Oct 10, 2013 10:36 pm

Twinspark wrote:
However... I'd probably do a clean install of Mountain Lion first, as it's flying along on my 2008 MacBook Pro.

Absolutely, it is ALWAYS better to perform a clean install of a new OS rather than an upgrade to your existing OS, no matter what flavour you use.

It is also worth considering the age of your computer, just because ( edit "the evil empire of your choice" ) announce a new version of their OS, it doesn't necessarily mean it will work with your prehistoric ( 5 Year old) hardware. basically, if it aint broke....

Steve
Well-weathered leather
Hot metal and oil
The scented country air
Sunlight on chrome
The blur of the landscape
Every nerve aware

Twinspark

Postby Twinspark » Fri Oct 11, 2013 1:08 pm

The OP's Macbook is a higher spec. than mine... but mine runs beautifully on Mountain Lion.

(In fact, I bought this machine from a '2nd user' dealer just for the purposes of running ML, as I'd seen some positive reviews of using it on this vintage MacBook Pro)
Fucked Off!

Blackal

Postby Blackal » Fri Oct 11, 2013 1:58 pm

"Snow Leopard" and "Mountain Lion" - names for operating systems :roll:

They must be employing the same people who make up the names for bloody caravans! :evil:

Al :wink:
If I am ever on life support - Unplug me......
Then plug me back in..........

See if that works .....
:?

Twinspark

Postby Twinspark » Fri Oct 11, 2013 2:29 pm

Well, it's better than what we get from Android.

'Jelly Bean', 'Ice Cream Sandwich'.

I'm awaiting 'Eton Panda Jelly Baby Vanilla Chocolate Latte Mess' in a few years!
Fucked Off!

Gromit

Postby Gromit » Fri Oct 11, 2013 4:55 pm

Thanks guys - looks like a totally fresh install is the way to go in that case. :)

Al - let's call them OS X 10.6 & 10.8 instead then. :D

Return to “Geeks' Corner”