Sailing.................anyone?

Hifi, computers, cameras etc; gadgets and general chat about any other interesting hobbies you have.

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

eyore

Sailing.................anyone?

Postby eyore » Thu Oct 17, 2013 7:16 pm

Anyone here into sailing by any chance? Being a true and deluded romantic I am very attached to sailing classic wooden boats. :roll:
2009 Triumph Speed Triple
2006 Aprilia Tuono RSVR

Twinspark

Postby Twinspark » Thu Oct 17, 2013 9:55 pm

Messed about with Mirrors when I was in my teens, but not been near a sailing boat of any kind since.
Fucked Off!

Blackal

Postby Blackal » Fri Oct 18, 2013 3:01 am

Sailboats are a lot like aircraft...............

They're a lot safer - with a slack-handful of engines. :wink:

Al
If I am ever on life support - Unplug me......
Then plug me back in..........

See if that works .....
:?

Al

Postby Al » Fri Oct 18, 2013 4:57 pm

I do a bit, I crew on a yacht twice a week and do cross channel or coastal races when I get the chance and have sailed dinghies since I was a kid, wooden classic boats look nice I agree but you need a small fortune to keep them on the water.
The guy I crew for paid just over £100,000 for a new "plastic" yacht 2 years ago and you don`t get any sails with it!! add another 10k for them, and if you trash a sail halyard thats a £100 a pop, definitely a rich mans sport if you want to sail competively.

Al
White/red BMW R1200R Sport
Shiny Red Honda Civic
Shiny Silver MR2 vvti Roadster. Going to be sold
White Peugeot Boxer Camper Conversion.
Battle scarred Suzuki Burgman 125,(Mrs Als) going to be sold
Suzuki VanVan 125

eyore

Postby eyore » Fri Oct 18, 2013 5:42 pm

Very true Al, but if you potter around in an old wooden boat avoiding expensive marinas costs can be kept down. Otherwise as they say its like standing fully clothed under a cold shower tearing up £50 notes.
I used to race years ago but these days have no interest anymore. We used to have a lovely Swedish built Hallberg Rassey which we cruised in extensively ,but had to sell it to finance the building of our house. :cry: I was very sad and at last another boat is being purchased but its an old wooden boat built in 1970 and is not a whole lot more than a 2008 RT.

2006 Aprilia Tuono RSVR

Al

Postby Al » Fri Oct 18, 2013 6:06 pm

I hope you enjoy it, nothing better than being on the water on a nice day watching the wildlife and the world glide past, the trouble down here is there are not many of those inexpensive marina`s, thats why I like sailing on somebody else`s boat, all the fun, no expense :D.

Al.
White/red BMW R1200R Sport
Shiny Red Honda Civic
Shiny Silver MR2 vvti Roadster. Going to be sold
White Peugeot Boxer Camper Conversion.
Battle scarred Suzuki Burgman 125,(Mrs Als) going to be sold
Suzuki VanVan 125

eyore

Postby eyore » Fri Oct 18, 2013 6:22 pm

Al wrote:, the trouble down here is there are not many of those inexpensive marina`s, thats why I like sailing on somebody else`s boat, all the fun, no expense :D.

Al.

That's because Devon is a sailing heaven, not suprising its so popular. Where we are you rarely see another boat which is good. :D

2006 Aprilia Tuono RSVR

Dog Tyred

Postby Dog Tyred » Fri Oct 18, 2013 7:06 pm

I used to sail (race) one weekend a year at the Little Britain regatta at Cowes. Probably did 10 years and always looked forward to it ever September. The thrill of a mass of boats all racing for the same mark was exhilarating to say the least. We even won our class once. We always rented an oldish boat but some of the teams turned up with full-on race boats and semi pro teams! (racing in a different class obviously).

Never sailed anywhere else though as as I am about as land locked as it's possible to be in the UK.

As someone once said to me 'the day you buy your boat will be the second happiest day of your life. The happiest day will be the day you sell it!!'

DT
Ride like your life depended on it.

2002 BCR

eyore

Postby eyore » Fri Oct 18, 2013 8:35 pm

Dog Tyred wrote:As someone once said to me 'the day you buy your boat will be the second happiest day of your life. The happiest day will be the day you sell it!!'

DT

So they say :wink:

2006 Aprilia Tuono RSVR

Return to “Geeks' Corner”