Anyone here into watches

Hifi, computers, cameras etc; gadgets and general chat about any other interesting hobbies you have.

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

The Teutonic Tangerine

Postby The Teutonic Tangerine » Tue Nov 19, 2013 2:02 pm

For our 25th wedding aniversary Mrs TT bought me a Cartier Tank Francais automatic. I wear it everyday except when riding - The vibration messed up the date changer and the repairs cost me a fortune. The glass is made from the hardest material known to man - I have never seen a scratch on it.

http://www.pinstime.com/wp-content/uplo ... ncaise.jpg
There would appear to be a surfeit of prolixity and sesquipedalian content today please do not use a big word when a singularly un-loquacious and diminutive linguistic expression will satisfactorily accomplish the contemporary necessity

bikesnbones

Postby bikesnbones » Tue Nov 19, 2013 2:14 pm

The Teutonic Tangerine wrote:The glass is made from the hardest material known to man - I have never seen a scratch on it.

Don't know about the "hardest material known to man" but it is saphire crystal, which is used a lot on high end watches for this very reason.
Unless you take a stanley knife to it, it won't scratch, although it will shatter like glass if you knock it hard enough.

Herb

Postby Herb » Tue Nov 19, 2013 2:24 pm

The Teutonic Tangerine wrote:The glass is made from the hardest material known to man

http://www.pinstime.com/wp-content/uplo ... ncaise.jpg

what has Phil Mitchell got to do with watches?
********Jim********
---------------------------
2006 'Colgate' R1200s

buzzz90

Postby buzzz90 » Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:37 pm

bikesnbones wrote:Don't know about the "hardest material known to man" but it is saphire crystal, which is used a lot on high end watches for this very reason.
Unless you take a stanley knife to it, it won't scratch, although it will shatter like glass if you knock it hard enough.

Bah, it can't be as hard as Chuck Norris' muscles... :lol:
R1100S / VIN ZA82517 : Image

slparry

Postby slparry » Wed Nov 20, 2013 3:46 pm

buzzz90 wrote:
bikesnbones wrote:Don't know about the "hardest material known to man" but it is saphire crystal, which is used a lot on high end watches for this very reason.

or my ex's cold frozen heart :D
--
Steve Parry

Current fleet: '14 F800GS, '87 R80RS, '03 R1100S BoxerCup, '15 R1200RT LE Dynamic, '90 K1

dave the german

Postby dave the german » Wed Nov 20, 2013 4:05 pm

buzzz90 wrote:

Walker Texas Ranger - now there was a hard man!! :lol:
'15 R1200GS TE
'06 R1200S
'04 BCR
Yam SR 500 long term restoration
wanna win the lottery and ride my bike

f90x

Postby f90x » Wed Nov 20, 2013 5:51 pm

slparry wrote:
buzzz90 wrote:

or my ex's cold frozen heart :D

I saw a sign outside an off license the other day, it read:

"BEER COLDER THAN YOUR EX'S HEART"

Boxadog 2000

Postby Boxadog 2000 » Wed Nov 20, 2013 7:00 pm

I have an Omega Seamaster Automatic, had it for about 20 years.
3 days after I got it I fell over pissed and scratched the bezel and the case quite badly.
I send it off to omega about every 5 years for a service saying do not replace the scratched parts.
Sent the watch off for a service a year ago it took them 6 months :shock:
When the watch finally came back it lasted 1 week before it would stop for no reason ( watch is on a watch winder in the evening)
so I sent it back.
Watch comes back to me 3 weeks later.
The only original part of the watch that came back was the movement & bracelet.
As a gesture of good will they replaced everything else case,crystal,winder,bezel & hands.
So I now have a brand new 20 year old watch :D

The Teutonic Tangerine

Postby The Teutonic Tangerine » Thu Nov 21, 2013 11:40 am

When my Cartier was repaired (not by Cartier but by an independeant watch lab) apparently they strip it completley and clean all the parts in an ultrasonic bath, They then rebuilt it and replaced the broken date change lever and then spent 6 weeks regulating it so that it is now accurate. They also polished the case and bracelet which removed the wear & tear surface scratches
There would appear to be a surfeit of prolixity and sesquipedalian content today please do not use a big word when a singularly un-loquacious and diminutive linguistic expression will satisfactorily accomplish the contemporary necessity

bikesnbones

Postby bikesnbones » Fri Nov 22, 2013 1:36 am

Boxadog 2000 wrote:Sent the watch off for a service a year ago it took them 6 months :shock:
When the watch finally came back it lasted 1 week before it would stop for no reason ( watch is on a watch winder in the evening)
so I sent it back.

That is quite unusual.
Did you send the watch direct to Omega yourself, or through an agent and did you get any official paperwork from Omega ?
I only ask because there was jeweller I heard about who was taking in customers watches, claiming they'd send it back to the manufacturer for service, but were in fact taking them to a watchmaker up the road, but still charging manufacturers prices.
For example, Omega charge between £300-£500 for a service on a chronograph, whereas a smaller watchmaker will charge about £100.
They were making a lot of money out of that scam, until the watchmaker who was doing their work, fell out with the owner and grassed them up to trading standards.

slparry

Postby slparry » Fri Nov 22, 2013 7:50 am

Boxadog 2000 wrote:I have an Omega Seamaster Automatic, had it for about 20 years.
3 days after I got it I fell over pissed and scratched the bezel and the case quite badly.
I send it off to omega about every 5 years for a service saying do not replace the scratched parts.
Sent the watch off for a service a year ago it took them 6 months :shock:
so I sent it back.
Watch comes back to me 3 weeks later.
The only original part of the watch that came back was the movement & bracelet.
As a gesture of good will they replaced everything else case,crystal,winder,bezel & hands.
So I now have a brand new 20 year old watch :D

Triggers broom :)
--
Steve Parry

Current fleet: '14 F800GS, '87 R80RS, '03 R1100S BoxerCup, '15 R1200RT LE Dynamic, '90 K1

Boxadog 2000

Postby Boxadog 2000 » Fri Nov 22, 2013 7:21 pm

bikesnbones wrote:
Boxadog 2000 wrote:Sent the watch off for a service a year ago it took them 6 months :shock:
so I sent it back.

Sent via a reputable jeweler.
Cost I seem to recall was £270.
Each time the watch comes back it has a work sheet from Omega stating what had been done
That is quite unusual.
Did you send the watch direct to Omega yourself, or through an agent and did you get any official paperwork from Omega ?
I only ask because there was jeweller I heard about who was taking in customers watches, claiming they'd send it back to the manufacturer for service, but were in fact taking them to a watchmaker up the road, but still charging manufacturers prices.
For example, Omega charge between £300-£500 for a service on a chronograph, whereas a smaller watchmaker will charge about £100.
They were making a lot of money out of that scam, until the watchmaker who was doing their work, fell out with the owner and grassed them up to trading standards.

bikesnbones

Postby bikesnbones » Fri Nov 22, 2013 10:45 pm

Boxadog 2000 wrote:Sent via a reputable jeweler.
Cost I seem to recall was £270.
Each time the watch comes back it has a work sheet from Omega stating what had been done

Fair enough.
It is quite unusual for Omega to cock up like that.
£270 sounds right for the basic ETA movement in the Seamaster.
The more complex chrono movments cost twice that,
I'm debating weather to send mine off to Omega or just take it up the road to a guy who is Omega trained, and does it for a fraction of the cost.

bricking it

Re: Anyone here into watches

Postby bricking it » Sun Nov 24, 2013 9:04 pm

bikesnbones wrote:I love my Omega Speedmaster Professional.
I love the history behind it, and the NASA connection.
It's an old fashioned mechanical manual wind chronograph.
I decided early on that if I was going to spend serious money on a watch, I wanted cogs, springs and wheels, not a battery and circuit board.
It was an awful ot of money, but the way I see it, it's something I can treasure and hand down when I'm gone.
Anyone else.

Yup. I wear a similar one most days, but mines a day-date model. Pressie to self when i turned a certain age. I was born a few days away from the first (alleged) moon landing. And its a very similar watch to that worn by Neil Armstrong
'53 R1100S, '56 KTM Super Duke

bikesnbones

Re: Anyone here into watches

Postby bikesnbones » Tue Nov 26, 2013 9:11 am

bricking it wrote:And its a very similar watch to that worn by Neil Armstrong

Very true, and something a lot of people don't realize.
The current version is very different to the origina, "pre moon" model, which fetch serious money.
A friend of mine picked pn of those up in a charity shop for £25 because it wasn't running.
He sent it back to Omega for a service, then sold it for £2,500.

Return to “Geeks' Corner”