Not a geek question

Hifi, computers, cameras etc; gadgets and general chat about any other interesting hobbies you have.

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

The Teutonic Tangerine

Not a geek question

Postby The Teutonic Tangerine » Wed Jan 20, 2016 3:48 pm

Iam not particulartly geeky but would like some suggested software:

I have two different waterproof cameras (go pro looky likee) an I-phone and a Panasonic digital camera all of which take movies. various file types. the two lookee likees both output .AVi files the i-phone .MOV not sure about the Panasonic.

I am looking for some free movie editing software so that I can cut, splice and dice and make a composite film. I have tried Movie Maker which does not seem to work very well with Windows 10. ie is convetrs the .AVI files to MP4 which are then corrupt or badly encoded and whilst they play the images are overlayed with green and grey pixels.

Someone suggested converting the files to MP4 before using movie maker. Not yet tried that.

Anyone else got a suggestion (I am viewing using VLC as it copes with just about any movie file type)

Thanks guys
There would appear to be a surfeit of prolixity and sesquipedalian content today please do not use a big word when a singularly un-loquacious and diminutive linguistic expression will satisfactorily accomplish the contemporary necessity

roadburner

Postby roadburner » Wed Jan 20, 2016 6:33 pm

i used to work with adobe premier- the industry standard in video editing, and it was super powerful, but for the usual stuff i really liked windows movie maker. dead easy to use and you could get a decent end result without any real knowledge. That's the problem with most software in general, there's loads of features that no one knows how to use, or even needs 99% of the time

The Teutonic Tangerine

Postby The Teutonic Tangerine » Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:30 am

roadburner wrote:i used to work with adobe premier- the industry standard in video editing, and it was super powerful, but for the usual stuff i really liked windows movie maker. dead easy to use and you could get a decent end result without any real knowledge. That's the problem with most software in general, there's loads of features that no one knows how to use, or even needs 99% of the time

Thanks - I tried MM it was easy to use but when it converted the file it was unwatchable :cry:
Last edited by The Teutonic Tangerine on Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
There would appear to be a surfeit of prolixity and sesquipedalian content today please do not use a big word when a singularly un-loquacious and diminutive linguistic expression will satisfactorily accomplish the contemporary necessity

The Teutonic Tangerine

Postby The Teutonic Tangerine » Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:32 am

BMbler wrote:http://filehippo.com/download_format_factory/
be careful as what "bits" you allow to install
or
http://filehippo.com/download_videopad_ ... nts/61298/
5mb, and I think will do, what you need

Thank BMbler I'll give it a try and let you know how how it goes.

dark_knight87

Postby dark_knight87 » Thu Jan 21, 2016 1:07 pm

It started badly, it tailed off a little in the middle and the less said about the end the better, but apart from that it was excellent.

The Teutonic Tangerine

Postby The Teutonic Tangerine » Thu Jan 21, 2016 2:16 pm

dark_knight87 wrote:Try this: -

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows/movie-maker

Regards,
Russ

Hi please read m porevious posts - Movie maker and Windows 10 are not working for me.

dark_knight87

Postby dark_knight87 » Fri Jan 22, 2016 1:18 pm

Apologies TO - I have been using Movie maker with none of the issues you have described.

The only other one I have used is: -

http://www.videosoftdev.com/free-video-editor

I found the lack of documentation a problem but managed to figure it out and it seems to work well (for me at least).

Regards,
Russ
It started badly, it tailed off a little in the middle and the less said about the end the better, but apart from that it was excellent.

The Teutonic Tangerine

Postby The Teutonic Tangerine » Fri Jan 22, 2016 4:12 pm

dark_knight87 wrote:Apologies TO - I have been using Movie maker with none of the issues you have described.

The only other one I have used is: -

http://www.videosoftdev.com/free-video-editor

I found the lack of documentation a problem but managed to figure it out and it seems to work well (for me at least).

Regards,
Russ

Thanks Russ

The Teutonic Tangerine

Postby The Teutonic Tangerine » Fri Jan 29, 2016 11:55 am

I have found an answer that seems to work.

Upload the video from the camera them convert it to Mp4 using "Prism" - free software. Then use movie maker to edit and then save as MP4 - view using VLC media player

Return to “Geeks' Corner”