Y Pipe / chip - any interest ?

Area for traders to advertise.

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

beachcomber

Y Pipe / chip - any interest ?

Postby beachcomber » Mon Jul 06, 2015 3:08 pm

We're in the process of getting quotes together for the Y Pipe we need for our project bikes.

Like everything, price depends on volume - we need 5 for ourselves straight away, but if we get to 10 - the cost comes down [ passed on ].

To accompany these, we are having software produced for us to get a complimentry chip manufactured. I've gone down this route due to the non-availability [ ongoing ] of Power Commanders. This unit is being developed by a major electronics company who is a market leader in this field. :lol:

"if at first you don't succeed - you've already been a failure once"

tanneman

Postby tanneman » Wed Jul 15, 2015 9:43 am

Interested.
'Let me check my concernometer.'

Taz

Postby Taz » Thu Jul 16, 2015 9:12 pm

Interested as well.
Taz

R1250RS

So when is this 'Old enough to know better' supposed to kick in?

beachcomber

Postby beachcomber » Fri Jul 17, 2015 10:46 am

Taz wrote:Interested as well.

TAZ, been trying to PM you re: your item for sale - my mails are not shown as going through.

yes please - how do you want paying ?

Can you pm me with details and maybe a phone # in case my mails are going into the ether !

BTW - first two quotes in for Y Pipe ........ we're still falling about laughing!

OUR guy that does the C Type exhausts is more than capable, but way too busy enough.

There's always the Chinese units - we have ordered one to check out the finish and fit.

They're cheap enough [ initially ] but by the time you've added the duty etc. you are in for a bit of a surprise !

Might be a good deal if we order 5 / 10.

We have a US manufacturer developing a chip specifically for use with the Y Pipe, Air filters [ conical ] and "free flow" silencer.

He is running an engine to our specs [ as above ] on the dyno to finalise the mapping

TJ

Taz

Postby Taz » Fri Jul 17, 2015 7:09 pm

TJ,

Hopefully you have my PM now.
Taz

R1250RS

Neil178

Postby Neil178 » Fri Jul 17, 2015 7:42 pm

Does the pipe have the hole for the lambda sensor? I cant make it out in the photo.
I may well need one, any idea of cost yet please?

beachcomber

Postby beachcomber » Sat Jul 18, 2015 7:42 am

Neil178 wrote:Does the pipe have the hole for the lambda sensor? I cant make it out in the photo.
I may well need one, any idea of cost yet please?

Yes,

a very neatly welded boss - all stainless [ see pic ].

Based on the first two quotes [ non starter ] WE would be paying £200 + £300 one off jig costs !!! And that's a minimum of 10 units per order. You can see why we're still laughing.

I have 2 more quotes awaiting - in the meantime the Chinese / US item has turned up and I must say it is VERY good. Has all the brackets and bosses and the welding is neat and sound.

We were a bit nervous initially - that said, MOST Chinese stuff is reasonable to good quality these days.

We want to get to sub £200 RETAIL - that's the aim.

The complimentary chips are still awaiting pre-production and costings.

Thanx for your interest

Taz

Y Piece

Postby Taz » Sat Jul 18, 2015 7:58 am

I was in contact with the American Laser supplier who said that he did not have ay Y piece sections left, but that the Danmoto copy was very good. They are on eBay and only cost £139.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/331536126760? ... EBIDX%3AIT
Taz

R1250RS

beachcomber

Re: Y Piece

Postby beachcomber » Sun Jul 19, 2015 12:51 pm

Taz wrote:I was in contact with the American Laser supplier who said that he did not have ay Y piece sections left, but that the Danmoto copy was very good. They are on eBay and only cost £139.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/331536126760? ... EBIDX%3AIT

Yes this is the one we ordered to check it out ....HOWEVER, be aware that duty and VAT are added to the cost ending up just under £200 - still not a bad price BASED ON OUR PRESENT QUOTES !

Our plan was to see what price we could get for 5 / 10 units - at least they would be in stock in the UK and hopefully around the price you would pay in total buying direct.

The quality is very good and the fit is spot on.

The guy who is developing our chips [ US ] sold Lazer Y Pieces - and advised us to buy the Danny Boy units - says he can't compete on price / quality with US sourced units !!! Unfortunately, exactly what we are finding in the UK.

roadburner

Postby roadburner » Sun Jul 19, 2015 7:12 pm

not trying to take sales off you , as i'd always buy stuff that's UK based if possible.
But i've bought stuff of dan in the past, he's even made custom designed yokes for me. his stuff is absolutely top quality and he'll also send it as an incorrectly supplied item so that there's no duty to pay.

beachcomber

Postby beachcomber » Mon Jul 20, 2015 9:24 am

roadburner wrote:not trying to take sales off you , as i'd always buy stuff that's UK based if possible.
But i've bought stuff of dan in the past, he's even made custom designed yokes for me. his stuff is absolutely top quality and he'll also send it as an incorrectly supplied item so that there's no duty to pay.

Hey no foul ............. we're just trying to get a good price for ourselves and if that means we can pass a saving on - that's a bonus.

We do ALL we can to use UK manufacturers, but sometimes that's just not possible / viable.

We plan on needing 10 for ourselves in the next 12 month period anyway, but we really don't want to stock parts for long time future use just to save a few bob.

I had thought we could get a good price from our various UK based manufacturers - like I said, our C Type exhaust guy could do it for around £90, but he's way too busy. We could get our aluminium body supplier in Poland to make them [ around £50 ] - but there's no economy of scale as we'd need to order in the 100's.

Still one more quote to come in [ UK based ], and if that's a bummer, we'll just order 5 Dan pipes for our own use. That way there'll be a small saving on the cost of the pipes and only one import documentation to pay.

Neil178

Postby Neil178 » Mon Jul 20, 2015 11:47 am

Thanks for the photo TJ. All is clear now!
I saw the Chinese one on ebay before and realise that customs, vat and a handling charge bump up the cost. Same as buying items from the states.
Sometimes there is no choice if the item isn't available in the uk.

Nice to get feed back on the quality as there is a certain reputation with chinese items due to lack of quality control. Having said that, to be fair, i have bought so many things in the UK that are made in china. All great stuff!

Back on the thread ..... I spotted a set of headers on the usa ebay sold as oem but i could see that they were the Wunderlich ones (long since discontinued) that i have been after. I need a single pipe to connect with a new funky back box.
I will keep an eye on here to see what happens.

roadburner

Postby roadburner » Tue Sep 01, 2015 4:13 pm

Any update on the chip ?
I'm struggling to figure out what my bike is running, and just feel that a fresh start with a correctly programmed chip would be the best way forward.

beachcomber

Postby beachcomber » Thu Sep 03, 2015 8:19 am

roadburner wrote:Any update on the chip ?
I'm struggling to figure out what my bike is running, and just feel that a fresh start with a correctly programmed chip would be the best way forward.

Been on hols for a few weeks - will catchup all this week [ including 239 e-mails ! ].

Just before I went away the chips were undergoing final testing.

beachcomber

Postby beachcomber » Sat Sep 05, 2015 8:11 pm

First batch of chips on the way from the US at the end of the week.

Jigs now made for the stainless 2 piece Y Pipe - we'll get our tame C Type exhaust man to fab them for us. Production jigs being completed next week.

Return to “Trade Section”