Pull up a chair - let's talk Boxerbollox

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

RoLoo

Re: RT how old ?

Postby RoLoo » Wed Jul 18, 2012 7:46 am

cillasman wrote:
they said im not old enough for an RT yet

...we now have our 4th RT...

...and the next one will be (the liquid cooled) #5...

...and we are still below 50...

...meaning age, not temperature... ;)

Have a nice day !
Ron.

R1200S + R1200RT
(RoLoo as in RowLow...)

Gromit

Postby Gromit » Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:21 am

Remember aswell that an RT is just a Roadster with a lot more plastic and we all know what a giggle they can be to ride. :)

<yes I am a died-in-the-wool BMW Roadster fan>

cornishflat

Postby cornishflat » Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:03 pm

Age? Who cares, if you fancy one go for it. I,m sure you will be surprised by their abilities....my mate was when he bought one. He fancied a 1100s but wanted more comfort for himself and his wife. Well i can vouch for its ability to cover the ground and in near perfect comfort.
kernow,the last bit

Steve1200S

Postby Steve1200S » Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:26 pm

go on then, ill add my obvious support for an RT. :)

Im 27, my 1150 is the best and most fun bike ive ever ridden. only bike i can get the peg down in almost any corner on. :) although since figuring out how easy peg/foot down is on it, the new boots i got for my birthday in may are wearing out fast. For some reason my mrs isnt as impressed by this as me! :roll:

Nevertoo old for a sports armchair!
----------------------------------------------
Steve.

1980 R100S
2003 VFR 800
A Silly Van.

RoLoo

Postby RoLoo » Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:35 am

Steve1200S wrote:
only bike i can get the peg down in almost any corner on. :)

Never too YOUNG (!) for a sports armchair !

...something like this you mean...?

...me & my wife on the light colored RT...

someone YouTubed us...

Have a nice day !

Ron.

R1200S + R1200RT

(RoLoo as in RowLow...)

Steve1200S

Postby Steve1200S » Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:21 am

Sorry, you are correct, never too young! :)

Yea, those are the sort of antics that come easy on an RT.

Steve.

1980 R100S

2003 VFR 800

A Silly Van.

Herb

Postby Herb » Thu Jul 19, 2012 11:05 am

Boxermed69 wrote:You on a night shift too Herb, or up at sparrow's fart for work, or can't sleep :?:

Mike :)

I am an early starter. Live near Rugby but do a lot of work in Warrington so I like to get ahead of the traffic. 2 days a week I take my son swimming and have to be poolside at 5am. Its not unusual to find me browsing the site in the very small hours.
********Jim********
---------------------------
2006 'Colgate' R1200s

bricking it

Postby bricking it » Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:39 pm

I am just coming up to a very youthful 43 (attitude wise)
Could my next boxer be an RT ? - very possibly. I dare not take a test ride.
'53 R1100S, '56 KTM Super Duke

Twinspark

Postby Twinspark » Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:38 pm

A few years ago, I was finding my Honda VFR800 a bit uncomfortable for longs trips (I had the Ducati for sunny Sundays), so sold it and bought an R100RT.

Worst thing I ever did, as I never really gelled with it - although it was amusing to ride it quicky, overtaking sportsbikes.

I ended up selling it and buying my R1100S - comfy enough for long trips, sporty enough for sunny Sundays - I've barely ridden my Duke since buying it, and it has the seal of approval from the wife, too. (Especially now I've put 'wonder web' on the pillion seat to stop her sliding around).
Fucked Off!

Kaze

Postby Kaze » Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:25 pm

I had a 1200RT for the best part of 18 months, great bike, very comfortable, superb screen which is particularly good if you ride a lot in the wet, handled far better than a bike that size should, with topbox and panniers there's few bikes with a greater luggage capacity. If these aspects do it for you then get it, don't allow other people to put you off 'cos it's got an older rider image.

But...

(Please consider that I may be biased for the next bit as I'm still in my honeymoon period with my recently acquired R1100S)

The RT is not sporty, and particularly if loaded is no where near as much fun to ride as the S. Whilst the fairing offers great protection from the front I found that it sent a draft into my lower back which became unpleasant on a long run particularly on a cold day. The heated grips were crap, setting one was barely noticeable luke warm, whilst setting 2 was red hot and left burn blisters on my palms. The seat was really comfortable up to a point, I could easily do 200 miles in comfort but found after that with the upright seated position the pressure on my backside become uncomfortable and added to rider fatigue. Finally it's not as pretty as the S nor does it sound as sweet. :lol:

This is my view and my opinion, others will disagree, and it is based on one RT only others may be different. However, sometimes if you really want a bike you need to just go out and buy it, get it out of your system. You can always sell it so if you shop around and get one at a good price then you'll have little to lose.
Kaze

skiddy boxers

Postby skiddy boxers » Sat Jul 21, 2012 8:58 am

One of my regular riding buddies has had an 1150RT from new (51 plate). He's looked at many bikes since but has never changed because the bike does everything he wants. On bendy roads he keeps up with everyone, including some very good riders on sportsbikes.

It will lose out to an S in a drag race (just) but is as capable of so much more. He also complained of numb bum and bought a sargeant seat. The only reliability issue he has had is the clutch went in France at 23000 miles.

Having ridden it a few times, it is very heavy and IMHO probably suits someone of a larger stature.
Nick

When life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.

cillasman

Postby cillasman » Mon Jul 23, 2012 5:54 pm

It seems RT's must be quite popular as i've had no responce to my ad. I thought S's were more sort after and i'd have some bikes to look at. Unless mines not as good as i thought. Ian
Two heads are better than one.!

Steve1200S

Re: RT how old ?

Postby Steve1200S » Mon Jul 23, 2012 6:47 pm

RoLoo wrote:
cillasman wrote:
they said im not old enough for an RT yet

...we now have our 4th RT...

...and the next one will be (the liquid cooled) #5...

...and we are still below 50...

...meaning age, not temperature... ;)

That red 1200 is well nice! is that your current bike?

why do BMW release exciting colour bikes for the first year, then revert to boring car colours? Think they dropped the red k1600 for next year.....

Steve.

1980 R100S

2003 VFR 800

A Silly Van.

Boxermed69

Postby Boxermed69 » Mon Jul 23, 2012 8:45 pm

+1

There are far too many silver/grey/grey with a hint of colour/gun metal German cars on the road. Venture onto any major road nowadays and it's like entering a monochrome world. BOOORRRING :!: Don't let bikes go the same way BeeEmm :sleepy4:
Horizontally opposed, vertically challenged...

Return to “Boxerbanter”