K1200GT 290kg wet
R1100s 250kg wet.
R1200rt 250kg wet.
Blackbird 250kg wet
ZZR1400 250 kg wet.
Pan 300 kg wet.
Dullsville. 250kg wet
Multistrada 240kg wet.

All the good pillion carriers are as heavy as an 1100s. Couple of surprises in there.

Multistrada looks light but is a pretty tall bike so may be a little awkward to maneuver.
Gary

bikesnbones

Postby bikesnbones » Tue Jul 30, 2013 6:26 am

boxerscott wrote:40kg heavier than a bcr :cry: Ya Bastaxd :!: they kept that quiet.

I would have thought that it was obvious the VFR1200 was a heavy lump, just by looking at it.

Daveg2812

Postby Daveg2812 » Tue Jul 30, 2013 6:52 am

I'm glad I hadn't ridden a bike for 23 years before I bought my 11S a few years back. After all the negative stuff written about it, I'd have chucked it in a ditch after the first ride :shock: :lol:

I :love9: my S
This ain't Twitter you know!

2003 R1100S with some bits on.

conkerman

Postby conkerman » Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:19 am

It does rather look like a bison doesn't it. The VFR that is.
Gary

bikesnbones

Postby bikesnbones » Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:30 am

conkerman wrote:It does rather look like a bison doesn't it. The VFR that is.

Very good bike though, by all accounts.
It's a Honda though.
Dull

Gromit

Postby Gromit » Tue Jul 30, 2013 12:38 pm

bikesnbones wrote:
It's a Honda though.
Dull

Have you ridden one?

f90x

Postby f90x » Tue Jul 30, 2013 12:44 pm

if I did more European riding a VFR1200 would be high on my list of contenders. I've only sat on one but it appears to be well balanced. doesn't 'feel' heavy and I'm sure Bike mag thought it was great. said it could bimble, track day, tour and commute.

Gromit

Postby Gromit » Tue Jul 30, 2013 12:47 pm

Re the VFR - I can (sadly) only go from the experience of an old friend who owns one, but he loves it. He also has a very nice Aprilia Tuono (does a lot of trackdays on it) but has found the VFR something of an eye-opener. I have heard it running though, and it sounds amazing.

I'm keen to get a test ride on one, but am more than a little worried that I might like it too much. :(

bikesnbones

Postby bikesnbones » Tue Jul 30, 2013 12:54 pm

Gromit wrote:
bikesnbones wrote:
It's a Honda though.
Dull

Have you ridden one?

In fairness no, but my experience of Honda's is that they make exciting bikes on paper, which in the real world, are dull as dishwater.
My last experience of this was a CB1300SA, which I foolishly bought without a test ride.
I had it 8 months.
It was my first Honda since a Superdream in 1983, and in the end, I got so bored with it that I couldn't be bothered to ride it.
Since then I have ridden three Honda's.
A VFR800, X11, and a CB1000, and in all three cases, I couldn't wait to get off the things for fear of falling asleep with boredom.
Some said to me that it was because I was not exploiting the performance, which is rubbish.
I have ridden bikes with less than 40bhp, that have been huge fun to ride.
I test rode a Guzzi V7 recently, which is a very modest performer, but I just didn't want to stop riding it.
Just my opinion of course but I will try and blag a go on a VFR1200, to see if you're right.

f90x

Postby f90x » Tue Jul 30, 2013 12:59 pm

A VFR800, X11, and a CB1000, and in all three cases, I couldn't wait to get off the things for fear of falling asleep with boredom.

I don't think you'd be the first person to find those particular Honda's boring. However one shouldn't tar the whole back catalogue with the same brush. I've had three that were fantasic. I think Richard has the same view as you do with regard to the CB1300.

Gromit

Postby Gromit » Tue Jul 30, 2013 1:13 pm

It's a funny one this. Steve's right, I did find a CB1300 terribly dull. I had a Harley Streetrod at the time and it ran rings around the Honda. Sure the 1300 looked fantastic - proper old-school 'big' bike but the thing didn't go, stop nor handle that well. A big disappointment.

The Blackbird though - for the first 2-3 months I really wasn't sure about it (I only bought it as it was cheap) but all of sudden something clicked and whilst I didn't fall in love with it, I really grew to like it, a lot. Now, I'm not really sure what I'd replace it with. It's grown on my so much over the years - it'll go through 80k miles by the end of the year and it still feels fresh. For me, that counts for a hell of a lot.

I also had a VFR800 ('99 model) which nearly put me off motorcycling. Strange though, as if you were riding it at 10/10ths (I should add my 10/10ths isn't that quick!) it felt really good - revving the nuts of the engine it sounded great, and it handled quite well and was extremely comfortable. For everyday riding though it was awful. Couldn't really see the point of one over a CBR600F if I'm honest.

I've ridden a friend's '99 FireBlade a few times and it's lovely - a slightly harsh, even flighty little bike but it feels fantastic. And that's with upwards of 50k on the clock.

bikesnbones

Postby bikesnbones » Tue Jul 30, 2013 1:24 pm

I take your points about riding before judging.
That was a bit blinkered of me.

slparry

Postby slparry » Tue Jul 30, 2013 1:26 pm

Largely this is why I fell out of love with Japanese bikes in general, and their tedious pursuit of elevated redlines and (often narrow) powerbands. I prefer screaming two strokes to screaming four strokes.

My K100RS's (5 of them) although 4 cyl were involving and had nice lumps of torque down low.

My K12GT just has loony all over the place in its core :) But I think I like it because it looks so sensible but goes like a sportsbike, a real wolf in sheeps clothing, that also happens to eat miles. If I had 1000 miles to do in a day I cannot think of another bike that would do it so effortlessly.

The BoxerCup, although hugely slower than my K12 is just rewarding, handles beautifully, and I just love the lazy way it lopes along fast A and B roads making relaxed, but fast, progress. It just "feels" like a motorbike should.

The Funduro, well singles always bring a smile to my gob. Very willing little engine, doesn't like being laboured. Handles well and again a big single is always going to "feel" like a motorbike :)

The R80RS, well the handlings a bit wobblier compared to the others, the mid 80's size tyres and brakes take a bit more thinking about, but it's a willing little engine and the RS fairing is one of the best bits of plastic to ever be put on a motorbike in terms of protection.
--
Steve Parry

Current fleet: '14 F800GS, '87 R80RS, '03 R1100S BoxerCup, '15 R1200RT LE Dynamic, '90 K1

Gromit

Postby Gromit » Tue Jul 30, 2013 1:49 pm

bikesnbones wrote:I take your points about riding before judging.
That was a bit blinkered of me.

I apologise for playing devil's advocate. :)

I'm also a miserable b*gger at the moment as am suffering a particularly nasty attack of gout so please excuse me being a tad 'bah humbug'. :(

bikesnbones

Postby bikesnbones » Tue Jul 30, 2013 2:10 pm

Gromit wrote:I apologise for playing devil's advocate. :)(

It's absolutely right too.
Only the other day I challenged a guy in exactly the same way because he based his opinions on all BMW's on an R45 he owned in the early 80's.
Note to self.
Never become an bar stool road tester
:shock: :D

Return to “Boxerbanter”