dropped the bike

Pull up a chair - let's talk Boxerbollox

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

mickmaul

dropped the bike

Postby mickmaul » Thu Jul 17, 2014 6:57 pm

Hi, very annoying, but dropped my bike on its right side, hurt me leg and back, and making me look like, and feeling like a fool.Will get over it ,but have scuffed the cylinder head, rear foot rest and mirror. Can anyone advise me if this will polish out, or best suggestions to make good.

Cheers

Mick

tanneman

Postby tanneman » Thu Jul 17, 2014 7:36 pm

No, and if the scratches is deep on the plastic then no.
'Let me check my concernometer.'

Droptarotter

Postby Droptarotter » Fri Jul 18, 2014 2:51 pm

Don't feel so bad........I did the same thing with my HP2......coasted down to my shop at 1am.....applied the dynamite front brakes and proceeded to tip over.....saved most of the bike with my elbow, but the right rocker cover got the worst of it.......and my elbow was torn open.

I buffed the scratches out of the carbon rocker cover and applied some nail polish ( the wife's, not mine) for clear coat.........looks good from 5ft!

Cheers

Bender

Postby Bender » Sat Jul 19, 2014 11:33 am

I did that too on the Old Kent Road a few weeks ago, I was executing a perfect feet up (legal) U-turn when a chap with a small child started crossing the road right in front of me while looking up the road.

Grabbed a handful of (linked ABS servo) front brake, the bike stopped dead and before I could get me foot down, over I went like a sack of the proverbial.

Broke the rear indicator lens, the Powerbronze screen, scratched the cylinder head cover and (twin spark) plug cover.

Luckily as I was working my boss is paying for the replacement parts.

As for the bloke with the kid, he just looked at me and walked off.
Last edited by Bender on Sun Jul 20, 2014 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2011 Harley-Davidson FLD Switchback - yeah, I know. I've always wanted one though...

davida67

Postby davida67 » Sat Jul 19, 2014 7:00 pm

I do sympathise. I dropped my BCR a while ago. It was a silly mistake. I replaced the carbon cylinder cover thanks to a member of this forum and was lucky that the rest of the damage was very minor. I might get a couple of bits from moto-works just to get it back to standard. Anyway, just wanted to say that we've all done it and I hope you get the bike sorted to your satisfaction soon.
"It's just a ride!"

Trumpetdude

Postby Trumpetdude » Thu Sep 04, 2014 11:27 pm

Funny, always seems to be to the right. I've done it twice now! (Not for bloody ages thankfully).
Parping my way along... Actually yes, I do blow my own trumpet.

SP250

Postby SP250 » Fri Sep 05, 2014 6:59 am

Three times I have gone over while stationary with my 1100S and always on the right side.
The only scratches to the left hand rocker cover are where a Lotus Exige hit me at Adenauer Forst on the Nurburgring. I got mentioned in an article about the 'Ring in MCN for that one. I was really glad I was on a flat twin at the time - cylinder saved my leg I reckon.
John M

Topcat

Postby Topcat » Fri Sep 05, 2014 7:45 am

Yep, we’ve all done it.

Managed to drop my R1100S twice, both on the RHS. While in CW’s picking up some new bits following one of the drops, got chatting to Wally (the ‘C’ in CW) who told me about another customer of theirs who came in with both sides of his bike smashed up. He runs his own business and had parked up at work, later looking out of his office window just in time to see the wind blow the bike over followed by two of his employees rushing over to pick it up. Once up, they had no idea what to do with it and promptly dropped it on the other side!

You have to laugh he said to Wally.

Hope you get it sorted.

JoeyDeacon

Postby JoeyDeacon » Fri Sep 05, 2014 10:18 am

I very nearly did this outside BMW Vines in Guildford yesterday. I'm not the tallest of fellows so depending on where you are, if the road's flat it's all good but if not... Where the bike parking is at Vines it's on a slight incline which slopes down to a drain channel and then the road slopes upward so you have a very shallow 'valley'. Got on the bike, backed out a little and felt my feets start to grab air instead of tarmac and got off pretty damn sharpish and pushed it back out. Thank feck I had my helmet on otherwise everyone outside would have seen the delicate shade of vivid scarlet on me chops.

No help to the OP, apols. Hope you get it sorted!
Everything on the internet is a lie.

JamesL

Postby JamesL » Fri Sep 05, 2014 4:00 pm

Put the GS (with full panniers) on its side stand on Monday night and couldn't understand why it kept on tipping over. Once I'd peered past the petrol tank in my lap, I discovered it was disappearing down a perfectly sized hole in the concrete with nothing but mud underneath; and then the stand was getting jammed on the lip trying to pull it out :oops:. Once I did manage to beast it clear it went over the other way, to be saved by the windowsill...

Just as well it was dark!

Return to “Boxerbanter”