Punctures.

Pull up a chair - let's talk Boxerbollox

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

Boxered
Route Master

Re: Punctures.

Postby Boxered » Sun Mar 05, 2017 10:28 pm

As Phil says, I carry the Stop'n'Go kit, and have only used it twice, both on other riders bikes, and when touring I also carry a Slime branded mini compressor which is very small and compact.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Slime-40001-Mo ... B000ET9SB4

Not cheap, but works very well, both of these items I adopted after witnessing Steve W of this parish using on one of our Moffat runs.

Steve
Well-weathered leather
Hot metal and oil
The scented country air
Sunlight on chrome
The blur of the landscape
Every nerve aware

The Teutonic Tangerine

Postby The Teutonic Tangerine » Mon Mar 06, 2017 1:07 pm

Mitch1100 wrote:Had my first rear puncture last week just did roadside repair with the push in ropes. Questioned having repair redone from the inside but as hole was in tyre center was told not to worry...thoughts??
I'd be replacing tyre if it was a front.

In our small group there are several of us that carry pumps and repair kits and we've had to repair a couple of punctures every season. I used one of the rope plugs on a car tyre that had only done about 2,500 miles the plug was still in it when I changed the tyre at 22,000 miles.
There would appear to be a surfeit of prolixity and sesquipedalian content today please do not use a big word when a singularly un-loquacious and diminutive linguistic expression will satisfactorily accomplish the contemporary necessity

Boxermed69

Postby Boxermed69 » Mon Mar 06, 2017 1:25 pm

slparry wrote:be cautious about 12v pumps guys, some trip the canbus fuse so cannot be used via the BMW power sockets

Any idea what the limitation of the on-board socket is Steve? The compressor I'm looking at draws 5A, which I wouldn't have thought should be a problem. My fall back is to buy another Optimate plug to replace the fag lighter plug on the compressor, in order to use the charger wires I already have connected directly to the battery. Just need to check what these wires/connectors are rated at.

Mike
Horizontally opposed, vertically challenged...

milleplod

Postby milleplod » Mon Mar 06, 2017 1:30 pm

My compressor came with crocodile clips as well as the lighter socket attachment - piece of cake.

Pete
Nocto Diuque Venamur

slparry

Postby slparry » Mon Mar 06, 2017 8:18 pm

Boxermed69 wrote:
slparry wrote:be cautious about 12v pumps guys, some trip the canbus fuse so cannot be used via the BMW power sockets

Any idea what the limitation of the on-board socket is Steve? The compressor I'm looking at draws 5A, which I wouldn't have thought should be a problem. My fall back is to buy another Optimate plug to replace the fag lighter plug on the compressor, in order to use the charger wires I already have connected directly to the battery. Just need to check what these wires/connectors are rated at.

Mike

I "think" it's 4.5 to 5 amps Mike. I know an AA one I have doesn't work off my KGT or my RRT. It works of the Boxercup but of course the BCR doesn't have canbus :)

At some point when I purchase a round TUIT I will wire in a powerlet socket direct to the battery in the glove boxes of either bikes. :D

The other option is to carry a few of the CO2 cartridges from the BMW repair kit
--
Steve Parry

Current fleet: '14 F800GS, '87 R80RS, '03 R1100S BoxerCup, '15 R1200RT LE Dynamic, '90 K1

Boxermed69

Postby Boxermed69 » Mon Mar 06, 2017 9:20 pm

slparry wrote:
Boxermed69 wrote:

Mike

I "think" it's 4.5 to 5 amps Mike. I know an AA one I have doesn't work off my KGT or my RRT. It works of the Boxercup but of course the BCR doesn't have canbus :)

At some point when I purchase a round TUIT I will wire in a powerlet socket direct to the battery in the glove boxes of either bikes. :D

The other option is to carry a few of the CO2 cartridges from the BMW repair kit

There is that option. Certainly less bulk, if not weight, than even a small compressor. I've never used wunnadoze CO2 cylinders - any good? I always imagine ending up with frost-bitten fingers and a still flat tyre :) Also, do you tend to need a few to get a tyre up to a reasonable pressure? Cheers.

Mike

Al

Postby Al » Mon Mar 06, 2017 9:36 pm

Mike, you put your gloves on to hold the co2 cylinders!!

Al.
White/red BMW R1200R Sport
Shiny Red Honda Civic
Shiny Silver MR2 vvti Roadster. Going to be sold
White Peugeot Boxer Camper Conversion.
Battle scarred Suzuki Burgman 125,(Mrs Als) going to be sold
Suzuki VanVan 125

slparry

Postby slparry » Mon Mar 06, 2017 9:44 pm

Boxermed69 wrote:
slparry wrote:
Boxermed69 wrote:

Mike

There is that option. Certainly less bulk, if not weight, than even a small compressor. I've never used wunnadoze CO2 cylinders - any good? I always imagine ending up with frost-bitten fingers and a still flat tyre :) Also, do you tend to need a few to get a tyre up to a reasonable pressure? Cheers.

Mike

From what I recall when I've used them in the past, it's about 3 to fill the tyre up, at least enough to get safely to a garage forecourt
--
Steve Parry

Current fleet: '14 F800GS, '87 R80RS, '03 R1100S BoxerCup, '15 R1200RT LE Dynamic, '90 K1

Boxermed69

Postby Boxermed69 » Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:33 am

Al wrote:Mike, you put your gloves on to hold the co2 cylinders!!

Al.

Yeah, thanks Al :D

Mike

Boxermed69

Postby Boxermed69 » Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:36 am

slparry wrote:
From what I recall when I've used them in the past, it's about 3 to fill the tyre up, at least enough to get safely to a garage forecourt

Thank you Steve. Half a dozen would seem a sensible number to carry then.

Mike

slparry

Postby slparry » Tue Mar 07, 2017 11:14 am

Boxermed69 wrote:
slparry wrote:

Mike

Yes, plus the little Schrader adapter that you screw into valve and the CO canister.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bike-CO2-pump ... 1883304337
--
Steve Parry

Herb

Postby Herb » Tue Mar 07, 2017 11:35 am

slparry wrote:
Boxermed69 wrote:
slparry wrote:

Mike

Yes, plus the little Schrader adapter that you screw into valve and the CO canister.

And a first aid kit to treat the open wounds when you peel a load of skin off because the frozen canister stuck to your hands and you forgot to wear a gloves.
********Jim********
---------------------------
2006 'Colgate' R1200s

popsky

Postby popsky » Tue Mar 07, 2017 5:15 pm

Herb wrote:
slparry wrote:
Boxermed69 wrote:

Mike

And a first aid kit to treat the open wounds when you peel a load of skin off because the frozen canister stuck to your hands and you forgot to wear a gloves.

This, don't ask me how I know but :sign3:
Phil.

R1200S and loving it !

Hoch Bergstraßenjäger…………………………………

Boxermed69

Postby Boxermed69 » Tue Mar 07, 2017 9:11 pm

:lol:

Mike

Return to “Boxerbanter”