Domestic CCTV

Pull up a chair - let's talk Boxerbollox

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

Gromit

Domestic CCTV

Postby Gromit » Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:43 am

Crime is almost unheard of in our village - one of the reasons we love living here - but in the small hours of last friday, my car had 2 of its windows smashed. The car was parked in front of the house, on our drive. It looks like he was chucking stones at the back of our new car as well, judging by a couple of small chips/dents on the rear. 

At around 0215 on saturday a similar thing happened where a neighbour's solar-powered security light was trashed, the solar panel then being thrown at our front door. I wasn't sleeping so heard the sound of running footsteps followed by the bang against our front door. Unfortunately couldn't get out of bed in time to see what was going on. Sounds like it was one person, and judging by the speed of the footsteps, it was someone fairly small.

As a result of this, we're now looking at getting a cctv system installed. Whilst I realise this won't be the cure-all, we're hoping it will be a useful deterrent. We're keen to get this done as soon as possible, but are unsure whether to get one of the 'cheap' systems (available on Amazon) or - at greater cost - a professional installation. We're inclined to go for the latter.

Has anyone here put up a DiY system, and how straightforward was it?

Thanks for any input. :)

slparry

Re: Domestic CCTV

Postby slparry » Mon Jun 26, 2017 1:21 pm

Richard, I've managed several systems in various companies I've worked at. They're usually easy to operate and install.

At home I have a simple one camera pointing down the drive that emails me with images if it detects any motion plus it records the images and video of that motion to an external FTP site (I use BT's)

The camera is a Cisco WVC210, I believe they were made by Linksys for Cisco

http://gwynfryn.servebeer.com/

I also have an app on my phone that means I can check the camera manually too. Good peace of mind and lets me know the bikes are safe :D
--
Steve Parry

Current fleet: '14 F800GS, '87 R80RS, '03 R1100S BoxerCup, '15 R1200RT LE Dynamic, '90 K1

Humbug

Postby Humbug » Mon Jun 26, 2017 7:36 pm

I've put in a Swann 4 camera colour system from Srewfix, easy to install, just a matter of running cables to the unit and plugging in, all colour coded leads so no hardship. Worked really well when I had it.
I have it stored in the garage doing nothing if you are interested.
10 KTM RC8

fontana

Postby fontana » Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:40 pm

Gromit wrote:we're hoping it will be a useful deterrent.

I doubt it.
If they know it's in place they'll just commit their crimes in hoodies with their faces covered.
It'd be better to install it in such a way that they don't know it's there.
Do it discreetly.

Herb

Postby Herb » Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:02 pm

I think I'd be inclined to go discreet as well!

We got a dog (now have 2) after a spate of break ins in our village, at night when people were home.

Our border terrier is a very good watch dog, though not even remotely aggressive, he would at least wake us up. Our Romanian rescue would bite any stranger that came through the door if we were not there. Gives my wife some reassurance for when I am away with work.
********Jim********
---------------------------
2006 'Colgate' R1200s

Mitch1100

Postby Mitch1100 » Mon Jun 26, 2017 11:29 pm

Sign of the times unfortunately. We've had a full motion detection alarm system in our home and second garage. The installer was saying they're busy replacing outdoor cameras targeted by thieves even though the cameras are useless to them :roll:
2009 HP2 Sport...sold
2006 R1200s with yellow rim tape
2008 Ducati Monster S4RS Tricolore..sold
2004 R1100s BoxerCup Replika..sold
2006 Subaru WRX STI S204 #318/600

boxerscott

Postby boxerscott » Tue Jun 27, 2017 10:30 pm

Pro every time on this one. Cameras are deterrents, We have them and I have got the skills to do a diy job but I know feck all about different systems so I went to a man who did. £1300 and two years on still working glitch free. Modest system 3 fixed cameras, hard wired, good monitor and ecu. We paid 2.5k for a system that we had in our offie in Brid 13 years ago, it needed dvd disc, the ecu weighed a ton, and old crt monitor needed, pita to wind back and find the frames you wanted. This one makes the old system look shxte.. it was with hindsight. :)

Hope this nuisance deceases.

Chris
Fiat Panda.
Fiat Scudo (with speedblock, pipe carrier, reversing sensors, reversing camera, tow bar, some new rust and Fake Plumber logo)

started out with nothing, still have most of it left.

fontana

Postby fontana » Thu Jun 29, 2017 11:22 am

boxerscott wrote:Pro every time on this one. Cameras are deterrents

Agree in the context of public places, and roads where CCTV is proven to reduce crime significantly.
However on private property, I maintain it's best to be discreet.
If you announce that you have camera's all over your house, all the scrotes will do is hide their faces.

Paul
Wanna buy a sticker mister?

Postby Paul » Thu Jun 29, 2017 1:24 pm

I bought a 4 camera SwannView system from Maplins, which was easy to install and setup. Allows me to view the cameras live from my phone/computer and record when it detects motion or at fixed times. For £400 or so, and a day's effort to route the wires it was worth the effort IMHO. This is the live view I can get on my 'phone:

CCTV.jpg
CCTV.jpg (447.26 KiB) Viewed 6758 times
You really need only two tools: WD-40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and it should, use WD-40. If it moves and shouldn't, use the tape.

Grip Fast

Postby Grip Fast » Thu Jun 29, 2017 4:21 pm

I had a car nicked from work in the early 90's under the gaze of a security camera. At that time, I don't think they could rewind that far, if at all, through a recording, so nowt for the police to go on. Interestingly, they parked the same model of car next to where mine had been, also stolen, and out of petrol. My car was found abandoned in Cambridge, out of petrol, the doors open and a screwdriver used to break in was stabbed through the front passenger seat.

About five years ago, I had my new bicycle nicked from work. The recording showed a bloke wearing a grey hoodie, with bolt croppers slung over his shoulder. He walked up to my bike, cut through the chain and cycled off with the bolt croppers still slung over his shoulder. All recorded, but again nowt the police could do.

I'd go with discreet cameras too, in the hope they criminal might be careless about hiding their face.

Herb

Postby Herb » Thu Jun 29, 2017 5:17 pm

Grip Fast wrote:
I'd go with discreet cameras too, in the hope they criminal might be careless about hiding their face.

Or the hope that you see them on your phone, get home and catch them in the act, kill them slowly and dump them in the canal!
********Jim********

---------------------------

2006 'Colgate' R1200s

Grip Fast

Postby Grip Fast » Thu Jun 29, 2017 5:43 pm

Herb wrote:Or the hope that you see them on your phone, get home and catch them in the act, kill them slowly and dump them in the canal!

Ah yes, the James May approach to crime reduction (as recently reported in a magazine I read). I do have a certain sympathy for the viewpoint, although I couldn't condone it. :D

boxerscott

Postby boxerscott » Thu Jun 29, 2017 10:44 pm

Paul wrote:I bought a 4 camera SwannView system from Maplins, which was easy to install and setup. Allows me to view the cameras live from my phone/computer and record when it detects motion or at fixed times. For £400 or so, and a day's effort to route the wires it was worth the effort IMHO. This is the live view I can get on my 'phone:

CCTV.jpg

Paul, I think you may want to consider doing something with the lawn cam, it looks a bit patchy to me :wink:
Fiat Panda.
Fiat Scudo (with speedblock, pipe carrier, reversing sensors, reversing camera, tow bar, some new rust and Fake Plumber logo)

started out with nothing, still have most of it left.

Paul
Wanna buy a sticker mister?

Postby Paul » Sun Jul 02, 2017 8:41 pm

Yup, re-seeded the bald patches with the wrong sort of grass...
You really need only two tools: WD-40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and it should, use WD-40. If it moves and shouldn't, use the tape.

Return to “Boxerbanter”