Garmin Basecamp

Pull up a chair - let's talk Boxerbollox

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

Boxermed69

Re: Garmin Basecamp

Postby Boxermed69 » Sat Apr 20, 2019 9:13 pm

+1 for MRA. Even the free version is good. The only slight let down is the moderate faff of converting 'track' to 'trip' - and that's down to the Garshite. I've found this is the way to get the best out of a Garmin. Trying to plan a route using the device itself is just painful :x

Mike
Horizontally opposed, vertically challenged...

milleplod

Postby milleplod » Sun Apr 21, 2019 7:30 am

SP250 wrote:Glad its not just me then.

Tried Phil's link and set up an account (or tried to), it still hasn't sent me the log in activating email yet, so I guess I can discount that one as well.

I just had a thought - a printed map doesn't have all this shit to deal with, so I've written the road numbers and towns I need on a piece of paper and stuck it into the window on my tankbag!
Sundays ride to Pontefract through the Derbyshire Dales is now sorted with out electronic bollocks.

I really am getting well versed in being a GOM!

I did notice when I first registered with Tourstart that the activation eMail took a while to come through - I was in no rush to use it though, so it didn't bother me at the time. I mailed Jan the other day asking about the delay, just got this reply from him -

"Hi Pete
Thanks for you kind mail and your support - and sorry for the long delay. I have had some days off in regards to Easter here in Denmark. I will discuss this with the developers tomorrow and let you know.
Best regards,
Jan Agnoletti Pedersen
jap@tourstart.org
+45 42 550 660
"

So, hopefully, it's something that will get sorted in the near future.

Pete
Nocto Diuque Venamur

hobbit

Postby hobbit » Mon Apr 22, 2019 3:49 pm

Found this video made it a lot easier.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NIqz5eqZrLo

boxerscott

Postby boxerscott » Mon Apr 22, 2019 8:20 pm

Excellent Rant John, very much enjoyed it. I have pretty much given up with planning a route , it can often lead to disappointment, road works , de tours etc. have a rough idea where you want to go, i have these paper books called maps. Put the hotel post code into sat nav when i get lost just to rescue my marital status. Ha as someone on here has told me everyone of my rides is an adventure. Seen some brilliant roads and witnessed places i never dreamt to go to as well.

Chris
Fiat Panda.
Fiat Scudo (with speedblock, pipe carrier, reversing sensors, reversing camera, tow bar, some new rust and Fake Plumber logo)

started out with nothing, still have most of it left.

slparry

Postby slparry » Thu Apr 25, 2019 6:36 am

after spending a couple of evenings "playing" with Basecamp again for the WW route, I've gotten again used to its idiosyncratic interface :)

Life would be simpler if it had the simple, intuitive interface that Google maps has but sadly no. Even something as simple as adding a shaping point is a tad cumbersome. In google you just drag the route to the preferred routing, in Basecamp you have to create a waypoint, add the waypoint to the route, tell the waypoint to be silent and not announce arrival. I guess it's just a question of Google maps setting the ease of use bar high :)
--
Steve Parry

Current fleet: '14 F800GS, '87 R80RS, '03 R1100S BoxerCup, '15 R1200RT LE Dynamic, '90 K1

Blackal

Postby Blackal » Sat Apr 27, 2019 6:19 am

I must admit, that it is around 12months between route creations - for me,

But - You can still do that “stretchy-elastic thing” to modify the route (just like you could do with the old Mapsource).

Can’t remember how exactly right now - but there are a heap of Youtubers who cover it.
If I am ever on life support - Unplug me......
Then plug me back in..........

See if that works .....
:?

SP250

Postby SP250 » Sat Apr 27, 2019 7:03 am

Al

That sounds like me - pins in a big map on the wall, then "stretchy elastic" around them to show the route...........sorted.
John M

slparry

Postby slparry » Sun Apr 28, 2019 8:03 am

hobbit wrote:Found this video made it a lot easier.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NIqz5eqZrLo

that did help, thanks :)
--
Steve Parry

Current fleet: '14 F800GS, '87 R80RS, '03 R1100S BoxerCup, '15 R1200RT LE Dynamic, '90 K1

Return to “Boxerbanter”