TV stars wanted for NW200 coverage

Pull up a chair - let's talk Boxerbollox

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

gordy

TV stars wanted for NW200 coverage

Postby gordy » Mon Apr 02, 2007 2:10 pm

Hi folks,

Are you thinking of coming to Northern Ireland for the North West 200? Do you want to be famous for 15 minutes (or, more accurately, a fleeting two minutes)?

I work as a reporter for BBC Northern Ireland television. This year, for the first time in a long time, we have the TV rights to the North West.

As part of our coverage, I've been commissioned to put together some packages to run on our early evening news programme, Newsline, each night during the week leading up to the event.

As one of these, I'm thinking of a piece looking at the number of visitors from GB and beyond that the event attracts to our shores every year.

I'd like to meet up with a group of riders as they wait to board a ferry in Cairnryan, Stranraer, Holyhead or wherever. I'd then accompany them on my own bike, all the way to Portrush (or wherever), filming and conducting a few brief interviews en route.

I do all my own shooting and editing, so you wouldn't be burdened with a camera crew, and I can assure you it would be a VERY easy-going experience - strictly no Paxman-esque grilling involved.

At the moment, I'm thinking that a group travelling on the Wednesday or Thursday would be best, timings-wise, with the piece going to air on the Friday evening, but I can be fairly flexible about that.

Hope some of you can help me out with this. Let me know if you're up for it or want a few more details.

Cheers
Gordy

winger

Postby winger » Mon Apr 02, 2007 8:29 pm

Sorry Gordy can't help, for the first time in 10 years not going shame as you'd have a good larf at us as we never go the same way through Dublin,not through lack of trying i can tell you!!but always stop at the same fish and chip shop in Armagh and meet the same guys sat on the wall opposite,were that protective of our B+B were paying for someone else to stay there this year so we can use it next year

Monza WSB instead,famous last words!!!

gordy

Postby gordy » Tue Apr 03, 2007 9:44 am

That's a shame. Not to worry; I'm sure I'll track down some victims (sorry, willing volunteers) soon.

I know exactly what you mean about Dublin. That'll soon be a thing of the past when they open the new tunnel connecting the docks to the northbound motorway, which will be a pity in a way as it'll take the whole craic out of it - "Look everybody, Croke Park......AGAIN!"

gripperod

Postby gripperod » Tue Apr 03, 2007 1:14 pm

Both my brothers usually go as part of a group from fom Lancs, I will check if they are going and PM you if they are interested. They sure are ugly tho', ideal faces for the radio.......................

From memory I think they normally go Weds/Thurs via Stranraer stay in a rented bungalow by the course and spend the weekend BBQing and getting gently pi**ed.

Brian
THE FASTER SILVER AND WHITE VERSION !

gordy

Postby gordy » Tue Apr 03, 2007 3:17 pm

gripperod wrote:Both my brothers usually go as part of a group from fom Lancs, I will check if they are going and PM you if they are interested. They sure are ugly tho', ideal faces for the radio.......................

Brian

:D Cheers Brian. They sound like 'just the boyos' for me.....

nab 301

Postby nab 301 » Wed Apr 04, 2007 8:21 pm

gordy wrote:I know exactly what you mean about Dublin. That'll soon be a thing of the past when they open the new tunnel connecting the docks to the northbound motorway, which will be a pity in a way as it'll take the whole craic out of it - "Look everybody, Croke Park......AGAIN!"

Tis open already (since last year) although only intended for hgv's hence the peak €12 charge :shock:
http://www.dublinporttunnel.ie/tolls_an ... _vehicles/

Keep smiling, it makes people wonder what you've been up to!
1999 R1100s (mandarin) '
2018 DL 250V Strom
2019 CB125F Honda.
MZ301 Saxon Fun ( currently retired)
'03 Bullet 65 project..

NA1959

Gordy

Postby NA1959 » Wed Apr 04, 2007 9:27 pm

Gordy

I live in Larne and could possibly do tail end Charlie to assist with taking anyone up the Coast Road, as it can be a bit hairy for people new to the sheep etc. up over the road to Ballycastle.

Also my mate is expecting about 15 bikers over from Scotland on the Thur or Friday.
Over 40 and flying low ---------

gordy

Postby gordy » Thu Apr 05, 2007 9:01 am

nab 301 wrote:
gordy wrote:I know exactly what you mean about Dublin. That'll soon be a thing of the past when they open the new tunnel connecting the docks to the northbound motorway, which will be a pity in a way as it'll take the whole craic out of it - "Look everybody, Croke Park......AGAIN!"

Tis open already (since last year) although only intended for hgv's hence the peak €12 charge :shock:
http://www.dublinporttunnel.ie/tolls_an ... _vehicles/

Aha. I didn't know that nab (embarrassingly out of touch). Thanks for the link - useful info to have.
Cheers
g

gordy

Re: Gordy

Postby gordy » Thu Apr 05, 2007 9:09 am

NA1959 wrote:Gordy

I live in Larne and could possibly do tail end Charlie to assist with taking anyone up the Coast Road, as it can be a bit hairy for people new to the sheep etc. up over the road to Ballycastle.

Also my mate is expecting about 15 bikers over from Scotland on the Thur or Friday.

Thanks for the offer NA1959. It's very kind of you and I might come back to you if my current plan doesn't work out, but at the minute it looks like I'm going to hook up with some guys who are taking in the event as part of an organised tour and I think their plan is to save the coast road for later in their trip. But, as I say, thanks a million for the kind offer - it can indeed be a bit hairy for the uninitiated up that way.

NA1959

Postby NA1959 » Thu Apr 05, 2007 8:55 pm

Gordy

No prob's, the offer still stands.

Hope all goes well I'll keep an eye out for your report.
Over 40 and flying low ---------

Return to “Boxerbanter”