P + O ferries plus 1100S

Pull up a chair - let's talk Boxerbollox

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

gripperod

P + O ferries plus 1100S

Postby gripperod » Mon Apr 23, 2007 6:45 am

Ive never taken a bike on a ferry before but I am bringing the 1100 back to the UK next weekend via Rotterdam-Hull. A few questions therefore.

1) Do they strap the bike down or do I?
2) Should I take my own straps?
3) Where/ how do you strap an 1100 down (best anchor points?)?
4) Do I need to take any cloths/cushions to protect the bodywork?
4) Any other tips?

Cheers

Brian
THE FASTER SILVER AND WHITE VERSION !

overipe&keen

Postby overipe&keen » Mon Apr 23, 2007 7:09 am

1) Do they strap the bike down or do I? They do but watch them and be fussy!

2) Should I take my own straps? No already provided

3) Where/ how do you strap an 1100 down (best anchor points?)? Don't know on this but I get them to use the frame where possible

4) Do I need to take any cloths/cushions to protect the bodywork? Take some of the fabric that is used for protecting paintwork from panniers and bags which is useful.

4) Any other tips? Don't let them rush you. Only let them do what your happy with.

Good luck and welcome back !!
Honoured Member of the Colgate Club !!

jltownshend

Postby jltownshend » Mon Apr 23, 2007 7:19 am

I have done it myself...

depends on crew, etc. But they will do it sooner or later ;-)

straps usually (always!) go over seat...

You can put your gloves on seat if you so wish...

The setup is basically a strap over the seat with two anchors to the floor one side, and one anchor on the other...once hooked you use a rachet thingy to tighten...like on a tow truck...
When the going gets weird...

herrman
Trixter Tour Manager

Postby herrman » Mon Apr 23, 2007 5:05 pm

Brian.
I always take my own tie downs and tie it down myself. As has been said gloves on the seat and strap over. One over the wishbone at the front and one looped onto the rear subframe has been fine for me.
As your sailing into Hull if you fancy a coffee and chat give me a shout, I can see the ferry (just) from my house.

Regards Peter.

wicker

Postby wicker » Mon Apr 23, 2007 7:07 pm

Most ferries have plenty of ratchet tie downs however depending on the number of bikes on board these can be in short supply. I usually take two of my own with me.

Depending on the ferry the crew will guide you to a parking place which will generally have wires welded to the deck onto which you fix the tie downs. Side stand down with engine left in gear against compression. Take a couple of heavy duty elastic bands to fix around the throttle to hold the front brake lever. Bike cannot now roll forward off the stand.

Fix ratchet tie down from right side frame rail (next to rider footrest) over the seat onto the deck. Another tie down from left frame across the seat onto the deck. If there is a well chock available I wedge this behind the rear wheel.

This arrangement has served me well in 18 crossings including a Force 8 gale in the Bay of Biscay.

The tie downs tend to be dirty so, rather than use my gloves, I usually take an old cloth to put on the seat. Also worth taking a pack of travel wipes to avoid mucky hands in gloves.

bikemad99

Postby bikemad99 » Mon Apr 23, 2007 9:01 pm

Just put one strap over my gloves on the seat. Thats if there is a strap handy,came back overnight to Harwich just on the centre stand,no problem. It is always a good laugh watching folk tying their bike down as if they are on a moon launch.
2000 BMW R1100s
1964 Royal Enfield 250cc Crusader
2012 Mazda Mx5 2.0ltr Kuro.
2004 Roller Team Granduca 171.
1992 Jaguar 4ltr Sovereign.
2018 Volvo t3 v40 Cross Country.
Reg & Gwen.

Ade B

Postby Ade B » Mon Apr 23, 2007 9:08 pm

ditto bikemad99

and wince as you watch them ratchet the bike down so tight the side stand flexes

take it easy on the metal surfaces if wet when boarding and leaving - they are super slippy.. aside from that piece of cake.

oh and disable the alarm

Ade
2000 R1100S Sport
1980 Vespa P125X

Return to “Boxerbanter”