Nowt - I can see in the dark etc
40%
Glasses
33%

Total votes: 15

Dickie2679

Glasses or contacts?

Postby Dickie2679 » Sat Aug 14, 2004 2:18 pm

What does everyone wear? (those with bad eyes) I wear glasses but find that they are a right pain in the arse when riding my bike, putting my helmet on, misting in the winter, etc
I'm getting some contact lenses, but was wondering what everyone else does?

stempy
Captain

Postby stempy » Sat Aug 14, 2004 6:00 pm

I have used both but am currently using glasses. Contacts are great but can move about, especially when putting your lid on or taking it off. Unfortunately they don't make daily disposables in my prescription and I can't be arsed with all the cleaning business so I stick to glasses for riding as the contacts I can use don't really give me good enough vision for road use, especially at night.

minivin

Postby minivin » Sat Aug 14, 2004 6:24 pm

luckily when I go for my eye test they say "here's some glasses, but you only need them if you feel like you want to use them", which means it's when I'm being a lazy student at the back of the class and can't be arsed with focussing my eye's I bung them on then :)

however, I hear from people who have tried lenses that they can be a bastard with reflections at night, so if you don't mind the pressure of the glass arms on your head and using a bit of "anti-mist" spray before each ride to stop them from misting it would be the better route to follow
Classic Motorcycle Magazine, Young Motorcyclist of the Year 2003

Dickie2679

Postby Dickie2679 » Sat Aug 14, 2004 7:56 pm

I've tried everything on my glasses to stop them misting, but when the temperature drops to about zero they always mist up, usually when I stop at a junction. I even bought a 'breath guard' (fits over your nose in the helmet) but found that at 70mph+ the air pressure caused it to leak your breath onto the inner edge of your glasses, causing misting, this was worse than the low speed problem.

fraggle

Postby fraggle » Sat Aug 14, 2004 9:36 pm

i use daily disposables and have had no problem with them. broke the arm on a pair of glasses trying to push them into helmet (very tight helmet). Before I got contacts I used a flip up helmet which was ok.

Paul
Wanna buy a sticker mister?

Postby Paul » Sun Aug 15, 2004 7:08 pm

I use the monthly disposables and have no problems with them.

Cheers,

Paul
You really need only two tools: WD-40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and it should, use WD-40. If it moves and shouldn't, use the tape.

gus

Postby gus » Sun Aug 15, 2004 8:18 pm

I,ve been using glasses for the last few years after a mishap using contacts.Road grit got between my lenses and eye,resulting in me being without sight and in mucho pain for a week.
Apart from the obvious disadvantages wearing glasses,there is one which i find annoying and quite posssibly dangerous.When looking behind(over my shoulder)i get a distorted view.This is caused by the eye looking half through the lenses and half naked,with the frame in the middle of the view.
I,ve been considering going back to lenses as i never had that problem as your eye is always looking through the lense.
gus

carlk

Postby carlk » Mon Aug 16, 2004 8:07 am

I can't bear glasses on the bike what with the pressure on my head from them being squeezed by the lid, the distortions and the misting.
Monthly disposables are what I use no grit or halo problems with them, unlike my old O2 permeables.
traffic Dodger

Mick Mac

Postby Mick Mac » Mon Aug 16, 2004 9:48 am

Contacts are the best in most circumstances. They don't fog up but they can make your eyes water sometimes, particularly when the visor is lifted. However, unless they are daily wear that allow more oxygen to the eye, I don't think it's a good idea to wear them for longer that eight hours a day. I find that my vision with contacts is not as clear in the evening when my eyes are tired.

Glasses, particularly with my prescription, are a pain in the bottom. Misting up is the most dangerous thing but you can also get water on the lense if you lift the visor when it's raining. This can result in more starring when riding into oncoming headlights at night - lethal. It's at times like this that I need disposable underwear or a heated visor.

Also, you can't wear unglasses if you are wearing glasses unless you have clip-ons or prescription sunglasses.

A few weeks ago, I was out riding one sunny day and I started to count the number of items between my eye and what I was looking at:-
1. contact lense
2. sunglasses
3. anti-fog insert
4. visor
5. dead flys

It's amazing that we can see anything at all !!

Mick

gus

Postby gus » Mon Aug 16, 2004 11:13 am

I may have to try some disposable lenses then.The ones i had a problem with were semi permable,which you had remove and clean/steralize etc.
Nothing like a brand new visor to relly show how much your vision is restricted by your old one.
gus

boxerchic

Postby boxerchic » Tue Aug 17, 2004 2:35 pm

I used to wear contacts, first hard lenses then the disposables. Never had a problem with either.

Developed cataracts in both eyes eight years ago and lost the sight in first one eye then the other. Had to give up driving eventually,(car, hadn't got a bike on the road at the time) before having an op on the first eye. Then only had sight in one eye for eighteen months. I now have an implant in both eyes ( bit like a small hard lens, about the size of a junior asprin and made of perspex).

The op corrected my distance vision so I don't need glasses or lenses, but now my arms aren't long enough for reading so I need some help there.

I do get some light distortion at night rather like with contact lenses, arcs and some starring, but compared with being blind its nothing. The lenses glint when lights reflect on them and look a bit weird. Most of the time I don't even think about it.

8)

gus

Postby gus » Tue Aug 17, 2004 4:00 pm

Blimey!A terrifying experience.Glad to hear everything is back as it should be.I couldnt see for a week and it really freaked me out.
gus

stempy
Captain

Postby stempy » Tue Aug 17, 2004 4:25 pm

Of course the other option is a bit of the old laser surgery if you dare. No need for glasses or contacts then. :shock:

bmwonder

Postby bmwonder » Tue Aug 17, 2004 4:26 pm

Flippin heck! That must have been rough? Must have been some operation to let you be able to ride again. Amazing.

Me Mum always said it would make me go blind :wink:

Rob B

Postby Rob B » Tue Aug 17, 2004 5:56 pm

I like a girl in glasses. It's that over the top look, Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

Rgds,

Rob

Return to “Boxerbanter”