Jets

Pull up a chair - let's talk Boxerbollox

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

Merecat

Postby Merecat » Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:04 am

Dog Tyred wrote:
Paul wrote:Since we are notionally a motorbike site, I feel obliged to garnish this thread with a picture of this non British application of a jet engine, before we get out interweb licence revoked:

As you were :roll:

(is there a part 3 planned featuring Concorde?)

Are you sure its a jet bike? Says V4 on the side :?

DT

My friend Wiki says its this
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MTT_Turbine_Superbike.

and who am I to argue :shock:

Mick
Mick

2001 R1100s Frost Blue

Its not going the fastest,

Its stopping the quickest

slparry

Postby slparry » Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:24 am

Jay Lenho has a jet bike, I seem to recall him relating the tale (maybe on top gear) of a car driver nudging closer and closer at a junction to get a better look, oblivious to his plastic bumper melting from the bikes exhaust :)
--
Steve Parry

Current fleet: '14 F800GS, '87 R80RS, '03 R1100S BoxerCup, '15 R1200RT LE Dynamic, '90 K1

brookes745

Postby brookes745 » Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:27 am

Al wrote:Perhaps we should have a poll as there seems to be a lot of ex (apart from Gromit ,light)blue suits on here, more than the other two services put together?
Had actually forgot you sat backwards on a 10!. I think I did more miles on a Herc, normally on rear party picking up broken tornado`s.

Al.

Hercs.....rear parties....broken Tornados....don't get me started on that one :angryfire:

Record was 2 weeks late for a 3 week Red Flag (an excercise based in Las Vegas for those who don't know) due to one particularly troubled F3!!

To keep the thread on bikes, did manage to hire a Harley for the weekend tho!!
It's only when machines go wrong that you realise how powerful they really are!!

Dog Tyred

Postby Dog Tyred » Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:44 am

Hmmmm, being pedantic (moi?) the definition of a jet engine is one which produces thrust to creat forward motion from said thrust. As this is a gas turbine engine with a two stage gearbox driving the rear wheel in isn't strictly a 'jet bike'. I guess you could argue that the forward motion of the bike is as a result of thrust generated by the engine but not quite the same thing.

Now this on the other hand !!

and if they could perfect this !!!!!

DT

PS: None of the above is in anyway intended to be taken seriously so please don't respond in a serious manner :wink:
Ride like your life depended on it.

2002 BCR

Al

Postby Al » Tue Sep 04, 2012 3:53 pm

The bike in the top photo would certainly stop car drivers trying to squeeze you at the lights etc :D

Al.
White/red BMW R1200R Sport
Shiny Red Honda Civic
Shiny Silver MR2 vvti Roadster. Going to be sold
White Peugeot Boxer Camper Conversion.
Battle scarred Suzuki Burgman 125,(Mrs Als) going to be sold
Suzuki VanVan 125

slparry

Postby slparry » Tue Sep 04, 2012 5:29 pm

OK so Lenos is not a jet but a turbine, still I want a bike that sounds like that!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pTmgfF1zghg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fjU7OhTo ... re=related
--
Steve Parry

Current fleet: '14 F800GS, '87 R80RS, '03 R1100S BoxerCup, '15 R1200RT LE Dynamic, '90 K1

el-nicko
Location: Nick from HEREFORDSHIRE, The Oceanian province of Airstrip One.

Postby el-nicko » Sat Sep 08, 2012 10:20 pm

Al wrote:The bike in the top photo would certainly stop car drivers trying to squeeze you at the lights etc :D

Al.

Nevermind that Al. :lol: What happened here :?: :- "Shiny Blue MR2 vvti Roadster. Written off 31/08/12" :shock:

Mr. Spock is my role model so be advised; I possess no (discernible) sense of humour.

It's all VFR (DCT) round here now. STILL missing my 1100s tho.

Al

Postby Al » Sun Sep 09, 2012 6:35 pm

Wasn`t my fault, HONEST. I was stopped in traffic, muppet behind didn`t. I was on an incline so I had foot on brake and he still pushed me 5-6 ft into the Merc in front, he hit me @ 20 mph ish judging by the damage to car, it has creased all the way to the inner wheel arches at the back + font bumper and what would be a bonnet on most cars, I bashed my head on top of windscreen and side window before seat belt stopped me and hurt neck/back. Just waiting for Assessor to see it but not hopeful.

Al
White/red BMW R1200R Sport
Shiny Red Honda Civic
Shiny Silver MR2 vvti Roadster. Going to be sold
White Peugeot Boxer Camper Conversion.
Battle scarred Suzuki Burgman 125,(Mrs Als) going to be sold
Suzuki VanVan 125

el-nicko
Location: Nick from HEREFORDSHIRE, The Oceanian province of Airstrip One.

Postby el-nicko » Sun Sep 09, 2012 9:27 pm

Shit :!: If ever I'm stuck in traffic on me bike and can't filter I always move to one side so that if I do get rear-ended at least I won't get crushed against the vehicle in front (like this bloke http://youtu.be/3N-nvM40Kkk) . Unfortunatly in a car you just got to sit there and take it, sometimes even watching it coming at you in the rear-view mirror. :shock: What a nightmare. MR2 :) , one of my fave cars too. :cry: Post a pic :?:

Mr. Spock is my role model so be advised; I possess no (discernible) sense of humour.

It's all VFR (DCT) round here now. STILL missing my 1100s tho.

Dog Tyred

Postby Dog Tyred » Mon Sep 10, 2012 8:27 am

el-nicko wrote:Shit :!: If ever I'm stuck in traffic on me bike and can't filter I always move to one side so that if I do get rear-ended at least I won't get crushed against the vehicle in front (like this bloke http://youtu.be/3N-nvM40Kkk) . Unfortunatly in a car you just got to sit there and take it, sometimes even watching it coming at you in the rear-view mirror. :shock: What a nightmare. MR2 :) , one of my fave cars too. :cry: Post a pic :?:

Holy shit :shock:

I must admit I always try to keep either side of the car in front (or at least angle my bike that way) to keep an escape route handy if I see someone approaching a bit quick from behind. If thats not possible I tend to leave a decent gap between me and the car in front.

Lets be careful out there people :?

DT
Ride like your life depended on it.

2002 BCR

Return to “Boxerbanter”