Jets

Pull up a chair - let's talk Boxerbollox

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

Herb

Jets

Postby Herb » Thu Aug 23, 2012 4:34 pm

Watched this on BBC4 last night and enjoyed it so much I thought it worth a mention. Here is the I player link.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0 ... y_Marvels/

Loved seeing the footage of the old V-Bombers and the lightening. I can't imaging how it must have felt seeing the Vulcan fly back in the mid 50's.
********Jim********
---------------------------
2006 'Colgate' R1200s

Paul
Wanna buy a sticker mister?

Postby Paul » Thu Aug 23, 2012 5:47 pm

+1

I saw it as well and was entertained and impressed by it. Part 2 next week on commercial jet liners.

Cheers,

Paul
You really need only two tools: WD-40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and it should, use WD-40. If it moves and shouldn't, use the tape.

ned1

Postby ned1 » Thu Aug 23, 2012 5:53 pm

Just Watched it using your link, would have missed it otherwise.

thanks

:wink:
Yesterday R1100S 03, today K1300s sport
Ride like they are all out to kill you and you will live to ride another day............Ned 2008

gus

Postby gus » Thu Aug 23, 2012 5:56 pm

English electric lightnings
Just awesome.
Gus

Al

Postby Al » Thu Aug 23, 2012 8:09 pm

Totally agree Gus, to watch one go vertical immediately after wheels up is amazing, even more so at night, never worked on them myself but people who have all echoed the comments of the guy on the programme, We had a Vulcan for my passing out parade at Swinderby, we saw it take off from Waddington which was 5 miles away behind the guests so they could not see it coming until it was overhead, again an amazing sight(and sound) at low level.

Al.
White/red BMW R1200R Sport
Shiny Red Honda Civic
Shiny Silver MR2 vvti Roadster. Going to be sold
White Peugeot Boxer Camper Conversion.
Battle scarred Suzuki Burgman 125,(Mrs Als) going to be sold
Suzuki VanVan 125

dave1100s

Postby dave1100s » Thu Aug 23, 2012 9:15 pm

ned1 wrote:Just Watched it using your link, would have missed it otherwise.

thanks

:wink:

Ditto! Thanks for posting mate, great viewing :D Sat here watching it on the laptop with headphones in....far better than watching the usual fat families / embarrassing bodies etc the wife insists on watching!
We don't stop playing because we get old.....we get old because we stop playing!

Daveg2812

Postby Daveg2812 » Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:33 pm

The last remaining flying Vulcan is based at Robin Hood airport, the former RAF Finningly, and less than a mile as the crow flies from where I live. You can often hear it taxi around as they do checks on it. It has a sound completely unlike all the commercial and private jets that fly out of there. Often, when it's been out, it will fly low over the surrounding area before landing, as it did last Sunday afternoon. It really is a site to see and a noise to hear.
Think I'll give the programme a viewing.
This ain't Twitter you know!

2003 R1100S with some bits on.

boxerscott

Postby boxerscott » Thu Aug 23, 2012 11:22 pm

We bought tickets for the last day of Festival of speed at Goodwood, The Vulcan was one of the headline acts for the day, was really looking foward to another serious bout of tinitus but sadly ( or so it seemed at first) it was replaced by euro fighter (Typhoon) :shock: Utterly jaw dropping stuff.[/url]
Fiat Panda.
Fiat Scudo (with speedblock, pipe carrier, reversing sensors, reversing camera, tow bar, some new rust and Fake Plumber logo)

started out with nothing, still have most of it left.

el-nicko
Location: Nick from HEREFORDSHIRE, The Oceanian province of Airstrip One.

Postby el-nicko » Fri Aug 24, 2012 12:07 am

They mentioned a 'plane called a 'Follom Meek' :shock: . I googled it but no result. :? There were also a few inaccuracies. I think they claimed (for instance) that the Canberra was the first jet bomber. I quote wikipedia:- "The Arado Ar 234 was the world's first operational jet-powered bomber, built by the German Arado company in the closing stages of World War II. Produced in very limited numbers, it was used almost entirely in the reconnaissance role, but in its few uses as a bomber it proved to be nearly impossible to intercept. It was the last Luftwaffe aircraft to fly over England during the war, in April 1945."

Mr. Spock is my role model so be advised; I possess no (discernible) sense of humour.

It's all VFR (DCT) round here now. STILL missing my 1100s tho.

el-nicko

Postby el-nicko » Fri Aug 24, 2012 12:26 am

gus wrote:English electric lightnings
Just awesome.
Gus

I used to know a bloke that was an instructor at the Empire Flying School who wrote the manual 'Inverted Spin Recovery (English Electric P1)'. :shock: :shock: :shock: He reconed they were only good for 8½ mins endurance on full afterburn tho aparently. :shock:

Mr. Spock is my role model so be advised; I possess no (discernible) sense of humour.

oyster

Postby oyster » Fri Aug 24, 2012 8:06 am

I was at small school when the Lightening was doing air trials over north London. It was anticipated, I remember we knew it was coming, it broke the sound barrier above us. It may have been flying out of Hendon at that time? I also remember householders sending invoices to the air ministry for broken window glass caused by the shock waves.
Oyster. 1999 R1100S. Almost original.

brookes745

Postby brookes745 » Fri Aug 24, 2012 11:31 am

el-nicko wrote:They mentioned a 'plane called a 'Follom Meek' :shock: "

They briefly showed a Folland Gnat, a small anhedral wing jet used by the RAF in the trainer role before the Hawk, also preceeded the Hawk in the Red Arrows.
It's only when machines go wrong that you realise how powerful they really are!!

el-nicko

Postby el-nicko » Fri Aug 24, 2012 12:29 pm

brookes745 wrote:
el-nicko wrote:They mentioned a 'plane called a 'Follom Meek' :shock: "

They briefly showed a Folland Gnat, a small anhedral wing jet used by the RAF in the trainer role before the Hawk, also preceeded the Hawk in the Red Arrows.

I had the sub-titles on as well and the commentator definitly said 'Follom Meek'. Apparently he was a well-respected and knowledgable bloke so I took it at face value. However, I 'googled' it with no result. :? Iwonder if it was a 'red herring' it 'cos actualy it did look a bit like a 'Gnat', :shock:

Daveg2812

Postby Daveg2812 » Fri Aug 24, 2012 2:01 pm

I'd always thought that the 'Gnat' was a Hawker Siddeley aircraft :?
This ain't Twitter you know!

2003 R1100S with some bits on.

Merecat

Postby Merecat » Fri Aug 24, 2012 2:46 pm

Daveg2812 wrote:I'd always thought that the 'Gnat' was a Hawker Siddeley aircraft :?

Folland Aircraft were swallowed up by Hawker Siddeley in the early 60s, but the AFAIK the Gnat was always known as the Folland Gnat.

Mick
Mick

2001 R1100s Frost Blue

Its not going the fastest,

Its stopping the quickest

Return to “Boxerbanter”