Guinness
11%
Other (brake fluid, Jizer etc)
16%

Total votes: 19

stempy
Captain

Postby stempy » Thu Mar 11, 2004 11:31 pm

Can't beat a good pint of Old Scrotum, failing that any good real ale with an ABV of 5 or more followed by a few Glemorangies or Jim Beams even. I like a glass of Valpolicella or Zinfandel with me food though. Not much of a lager drinker unless it's the only thing available(burp). Quite partial to a Hoegarden though.

bigblackfalco

Postby bigblackfalco » Thu Mar 11, 2004 11:43 pm

Me,I likes propper beer!What da'ya mean no decent beer in London...haven't you heard of Fullers??
My favourite brewers are:
Fullers,Marlow brewery,Youngs,Ushers,Breakspear,Banks,and Ringwood(old Hooky!).
Other than that I like red wine;french mostly,but also Rioja.Some Ozzy stuff is OK too.
Also partial to a refreshing pint of G&T :D
Bailey.

carlk

Postby carlk » Fri Mar 12, 2004 8:09 am

Guinness or wine for me
like adamski spirits make me want to hurl
traffic Dodger

Gromit

Postby Gromit » Fri Mar 12, 2004 8:55 am

bigblackfalco wrote:Me,I likes propper beer!What da'ya mean no decent beer in London...haven't you heard of Fullers??

Fullers????? Barfffff central. :? You seen where they get their water from? ;)

I'll give you Youngs though - one of the last independent family brewers in the London area - the brewery's well worth a visit too...in fact I think a Boxertrix Brewery Tour coming on.... :)

bikemad99

Postby bikemad99 » Fri Mar 12, 2004 10:11 am

Gromit wrote:
bigblackfalco wrote:Me,I likes propper beer!What da'ya mean no decent beer in London...haven't you heard of Fullers??

Fullers????? Barfffff central. :? You seen where they get their water from? ;)

I'll give you Youngs though - one of the last independent family brewers in the London area - the brewery's well worth a visit too...in fact I think a Boxertrix Brewery Tour coming on.... :)

If a brewery tour is required,the home of English Beer is the place to visit.
I would be happy to sort a trip to the Bass Museum. On the subject of real ale, try Worthington `1744`which is a replacement for Draught Bass.
The trade name Bass is now owned by a Belgium company.
2000 BMW R1100s
1964 Royal Enfield 250cc Crusader
2012 Mazda Mx5 2.0ltr Kuro.
2004 Roller Team Granduca 171.
1992 Jaguar 4ltr Sovereign.
2018 Volvo t3 v40 Cross Country.
Reg & Gwen.

crucial

Postby crucial » Fri Mar 12, 2004 10:13 am

Mur 8) phy's and Rioja.................though preferably not in the same glass!!!

bikemad99

Postby bikemad99 » Fri Mar 12, 2004 10:49 am

uptoere wrote:Thanks Reg,

It has been sadly missed as part of my calorie controlled diet :lol:

Paul S

Paul,

we still do Breaker. It has been rebranded in 2 formats. One is called Breaker Malt Lager with an ABV of 4.8, and the other is Breaker Super with an ABV of 9.0 The latter is probably consumed hidden by a brown paper bag on park benches. It is pretty strong.
2000 BMW R1100s
1964 Royal Enfield 250cc Crusader
2012 Mazda Mx5 2.0ltr Kuro.
2004 Roller Team Granduca 171.
1992 Jaguar 4ltr Sovereign.
2018 Volvo t3 v40 Cross Country.
Reg & Gwen.

Darth_1100S
Location: It has a pier but it it ain't Blackpool or Brighton

Postby Darth_1100S » Fri Mar 12, 2004 3:03 pm

Bitter man thro' and thro'. I've got a particular taste for Draught Caffrey's - don't sell it in my local tho so I have to make do with good ol' John Smiths. Another pub I go to now and then has "Guest Ales". They had Banana flavoured beer the other week, can't remember the name of. I know it sounds disgusting but it was really very palatable....Missus Darth had to drive home!!...and then put me to bed....

I'm also partial to a nice bottle of red, and I love good bottle of single malt. The Islays are my favourites, Laphroig being the bestest!

Dave.

P.S. BM, the Bass museum sounds good!
If at first you don't succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried.

Gromit

Postby Gromit » Fri Mar 12, 2004 3:13 pm

Darth_1100S wrote:

P.S. BM, the Bass museum sounds good!

The Bass museum is good - went there a while ago. I preferred the Youngs' brewery though ;)

Such a shame the name 'Bass' is now foreign-owned. Bit of brewery trivia - when you see a registered trade mark, and it has a number next to it, well 'Bass' and its red triangle is Trademark No1 ie the first ever. :)

THE finest bitter in my opinion still has to be Marstons Pedgiree - only problem is that so few pubs know how to keep it properly and can taste utter pish. Closely followed by Black Sheep - like Youngs it is another family-owned rose amongst the thorns of large brewing conglomerates.

I'm also a hyooge fan of Belgian trappist beers, having done a trip to Brussels with the Band a few years ago. If you get to go try 'Kwak' - a v unusual glass - like ball-bottomed test tube in a wooden holder. 9.4% too - scary thing is that it doesn't taste strong...until you try to stand up. No hangover either because it's so pure. If you like Hoegaarden, you'll love these other beers - Hoegaarden's the tiniest tip of a huge iceberg. :)

adamski49

Postby adamski49 » Fri Mar 12, 2004 4:20 pm

What about Adnams? http://www.adnams.co.uk/beer/draft.html

The brewery is in Southwold on the Suffolk coast. It would make for an interesting Boxertrix jaunt as there are some cracking roads (unless they've been strangled by cameras and 40 limits) out that way. Their beer's not bad either :)

Adam
Forgive me father for I have sinned... ex S owner moved onto pastures new with four cylinders and a chain... and back to a twin, albeit in a V.

Gromit

Postby Gromit » Fri Mar 12, 2004 4:33 pm

Sounds good Adam - you do realise this'd have to be an overnight thing? A swift half's just not enough. ;)

bernsmartco

Postby bernsmartco » Fri Mar 12, 2004 6:19 pm

This brewery visiting could catch on sounds like a vgood idea.
Like the sound of the Bass museum - early evening when its light till 9 or 10. can't stand riding in the dark.
How about the Hook Norton brewery lovely part of the world and very traditional don't remember seeing any stainless steel pipes when I went around.
The Talbot is a great pub at Knightwick A44 mid way Worcester and Bromyard (great road) £1.65 a pint brewed on the premises well worth a visit.
Who's going to organise all these visits? No sorry I'am not volenteering.
Bern

stempy
Captain

Postby stempy » Fri Mar 12, 2004 6:24 pm

I'm often working near the Gales Brewery, a pint or two of HSB goes down very well indeed. They also do brewery tours.

Did the Budweiser tour in Jacksonville, it's totally automated, didn't see a single person, kind of spooky really.

Tonite I will be off down the pub for a pint Abbot Ale or three. Fullers ESB is a good pint too but they dont do it at the local. They have Youngs Special though.

uptoere

Postby uptoere » Fri Mar 12, 2004 7:37 pm

Reg,

Thanks for the info on the Breaker Malt Lager, ABV 4.8 sounds about right. Glad it's still out there. Does the other stuff come in gel form?

Anyone experience the 'Blood Tub' (Ship Inn) beer festival in Burscough, Lancashire?

50 guest beers plus the half a dozen regular real ales, together with 4 or 5 ciders. It's one weekend in August or September normally.

Can't remember how it started or finished last year......... I think the beer won. :D

Paul S

boxerpan

Postby boxerpan » Fri Mar 12, 2004 8:16 pm

Today I mostly bin drinkin Worthington White Shield from my secret cache, not seen it for sale for ages, is it still available ?

Lloyd

Return to “Boxerbanter”