Would / do YOU go pillion?

Pull up a chair - let's talk Boxerbollox

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

No chance! You'd have to knock me out first.
11%
As a last resort / under duress. It's white knuckles all the way.
11%
Only if I know the rider or they seem capable.
78%
No problem. I'll get on the back with anyone. No Fear!
No votes
Never tried. Not sure.
No votes

Total votes: 18

adamski49

Postby adamski49 » Fri Mar 12, 2004 10:02 am

Following the other thread I though I'd kick off this poll. I'll start the ball rolling...

Unless the rider's a complete nutcase I'm normally happy to go pillion, haven't had the opportunity for a while though.

I think after going pillion with my dad, most people seem safe - he seemed to have this strange quirk of accelerating towards hazards and leaving braking to the last minute. Of course I only realised this once I had been riding for a few years.

The high (low?) point came when he threw his GPz550 down the road with me on the back... he steps off as it goes down and I remain in the pillion position going down the road sideways with no pilot

Moral of the story: Do not at any point prior to getting on the back of the bike say to the rider "you're not getting it over far enough in the corners"... especially if it's my dad :lol:

Adam
Forgive me father for I have sinned... ex S owner moved onto pastures new with four cylinders and a chain... and back to a twin, albeit in a V.

uptoere

Postby uptoere » Fri Mar 12, 2004 8:32 pm

Adam,

When Mike Hailwood made his come-back to the Isle of Man, there was a big lottery held. Second prize was a new Arai helmet, first prize was a lap of the island circuit as Mike's pillion. :shock:

A German lad won it, poor sod. They came past where we were sitting on the mountain section. I can still hear the screams...those terrible, terrible screams......'orrible !!!! :twisted:

Paul S

herrman
Trixter Tour Manager

Postby herrman » Fri Mar 12, 2004 8:52 pm

..Used to ride pillion many many years ago and I do think the secret is in knowing and trusting what the rider will do. I do recall nodding off whilst pillioning down to Cornwall on an overnight trip with a rider whom I would trust with my life.
Peter.

winger

Postby winger » Fri Mar 12, 2004 9:53 pm

78TT e'h Paul!!!!!! still got my Hailwood Martini jacket!!!!!,remember staying in a crappy B+B and throwing all our dirty undies out of the sky light probably still blocking the guttering up!!!! had to share a double bed with a mate christ what an exsperience that was!!!!!.

Chris C

stempy
Captain

Postby stempy » Fri Mar 12, 2004 10:51 pm

I'm often a pillion passenger on the back of my wifes bike which scares me at times as she used to be a DR and can't seem to get that particular riding style out of her head. :shock:

Gromit

Postby Gromit » Fri Mar 12, 2004 10:55 pm

winger wrote:78TT e'h Paul!!!!!! still got my Hailwood Martini jacket!!!!!,remember staying in a crappy B+B and throwing all our dirty undies out of the sky light probably still blocking the guttering up!!!! had to share a double bed with a mate christ what an exsperience that was!!!!!.

Chris C

Luxury!!!

We used to live int'shoebox int'middle't road and eat coal for't'breakfast. :D ;)

stempy
Captain

Postby stempy » Fri Mar 12, 2004 11:02 pm

Shoe box? I used to dream of living in a shoe box. :lol:

Darth_1100S
Location: It has a pier but it it ain't Blackpool or Brighton

Postby Darth_1100S » Sat Mar 13, 2004 12:03 am

SHOE BOX!! bloody luxury, we lived down a drain and ate gravel for breakfast
If at first you don't succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried.

uptoere

Postby uptoere » Sat Mar 13, 2004 10:59 am

winger wrote:78TT e'h Paul!!!!!! still got my Hailwood Martini jacket!!!!!,remember staying in a crappy B+B and throwing all our dirty undies out of the sky light probably still blocking the guttering up!!!! had to share a double bed with a mate christ what an exsperience that was!!!!!.

Chris C

78TT?......I've still got those dirty undies!......... :?

Paul S

Merecat

Postby Merecat » Sat Mar 13, 2004 11:08 am

I once had a very hair raising ride to the bike show at the NEC on the back of a GSXR 750. I was wearing flat bottom paddock boots. Not a good idea, a lesson which i'd lerned within the first 50 m !. :shock:

The next year was no better. I had propper boots which were wedged into the footpegs, but my mate had progressed from the GSXR to a ZZR 1100.
The M42 was chocka both lanes and we never dropped below 80 all the way back, with a 130+ burst round the lanes near home :shock: :shock: .
It took several stiff drinks to recover.

I followed him on my bike the year after!!

Mick
Mick

2001 R1100s Frost Blue

Its not going the fastest,

Its stopping the quickest

Return to “Boxerbanter”