Not bad for a cafe racer made from a R11S

Pull up a chair - let's talk Boxerbollox

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

bfisher

Not bad for a cafe racer made from a R11S

Postby bfisher » Sun May 21, 2017 8:49 pm

& no i'm not a big fan of the scene/bike format BUT this looks actually alright given its roots which isn't the easiest dimensions to play with:http://www.pipeburn.com/home/2017/03/10/beast-bmw-r1100s-cafe-racer-moto-adonis.html

B

SP250

Re: Not bad for a cafe racer made from a R11S

Postby SP250 » Sun May 21, 2017 9:30 pm

Good job everyone has different opinions in this world.

Mine is - that's just wrecked a perfectly good R1100S.

It looks like sh1t and with Hagon shocks on it, probably rides like sh1t too, they are the worst of the cheap Chinese manufactured dampers.

Crap exhaust fabbing too.
John M

Boxered
Route Master

Postby Boxered » Sun May 21, 2017 10:17 pm

I have to agree with John, they have taken a good r1100s and turned it into a less capable, completely useless rolling chassis that could only be of interest to people with "interesting facial hair"
See you next Tuesday’s everyone of 'em

Steve
Well-weathered leather
Hot metal and oil
The scented country air
Sunlight on chrome
The blur of the landscape
Every nerve aware

nab 301

Postby nab 301 » Sun May 21, 2017 10:24 pm

Quoted from the above link
“The R1100S is not a cool bike in stock trim. They’re mostly admired by very middle-aged, very clinical riders with names like ‘Herbert’ and ‘Doug’.”
:shock: :shock: :shock: :lol:

Keep smiling, it makes people wonder what you've been up to!
1999 R1100s (mandarin) '
2018 DL 250V Strom
2019 CB125F Honda.
MZ301 Saxon Fun ( currently retired)
'03 Bullet 65 project..

fontana

Postby fontana » Sun May 21, 2017 10:38 pm

The whole 'Cafe' thing has become the second decade of the twenty first century's 'West Coast Choppers' only rather than fat, thick, talentless Californians with a steroid problem, the bikes are being built by skinny beardies from Camden, with bad tatts and a hugely elevated idea of their own 'Creativity'.
This is a prime example

Jeff Highland

Postby Jeff Highland » Sun May 21, 2017 11:13 pm

What ya got against BEARDS, I've had one most of my life, so does my son and he's hardly Hipster.

I agree the bike is an abomination totally ruined and terrible prejudice against the r1100s in the article.

Hay Ewe^

Postby Hay Ewe^ » Mon May 22, 2017 3:23 am

I have seen worse!

All these people do though is change the body and stying, the most radical thing they do is put individiual K&N filters (wouldn't touch them with a barge pole) and some fancy LED's

nothing special

Jeff Highland

Postby Jeff Highland » Mon May 22, 2017 3:30 am

Could have just bought a Rockster and been most of the way there.

Yes I would imagine the individual K&N's would be detrimental to engine performance through loss of Ram effect.

Could be worse they could have installed Carbies

Herb

Postby Herb » Mon May 22, 2017 5:31 am

nab 301 wrote:Quoted from the above link
“The R1100S is not a cool bike in stock trim. They’re mostly admired by very middle-aged, very clinical riders with names like ‘Herbert’ and ‘Doug’.”
:shock: :shock: :shock: :lol:

My name is Herbert. Haha. Explains a lot.

I can't comment on the quality of workmanship or components, but I do like the style!
********Jim********
---------------------------
2006 'Colgate' R1200s

Paul
Wanna buy a sticker mister?

Postby Paul » Mon May 22, 2017 7:28 am

They could have saved themselves an awful lot of effort by just buying an R9T in the first place, instead of butchering a lovely S...
You really need only two tools: WD-40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and it should, use WD-40. If it moves and shouldn't, use the tape.

andy griff

Postby andy griff » Mon May 22, 2017 8:03 am

I wish they'd hurry up and get over this bleeding' cafe racer fashion trip. There'll be no bloody decent 1990s bikes left at this rate :evil:

Herb

Postby Herb » Mon May 22, 2017 8:30 am

andy griff wrote:I wish they'd hurry up and get over this bleeding' cafe racer fashion trip. There'll be no bloody decent 1990s bikes left at this rate :evil:

Look on the positive side. Think of all the plastics, luggage and other OEM parts finding their way onto ebay to help keep the rest of us on the road!
********Jim********

2006 'Colgate' R1200s

fontana

Postby fontana » Mon May 22, 2017 8:35 am

If people have to do this sort of shit can't they do it with worn out old Junkers that nobody wants rather than screwing up good bikes?
There are any number of truly dreary 1970's/'80's shitters out there waiting to be destroyed,
The Z440 for example, that nobody interested in motorbikes would care if every last one vanished from the face of the planet!
They have all the things that the Hipster Cafe Builders love.
Two cylinders, worn out carburetors, woefully inadequate suspension, feeble frames, (By now further enfeebled by rust!) no power and pathetic brakes!
Every 'over-excitable café racer pinhead should be clambering over themselves to get hold of these things and the breakers can't give 'em away!
:x

Herb

Postby Herb » Mon May 22, 2017 9:41 am

fontana wrote:If people have to do this sort of shit can't they do it with worn out old Junkers that nobody wants rather than screwing up good bikes?

Who gets to define what bikes are worth preserving and which modifying? Who says the R1100s is a good bike? You have posted loads of stuff on café racers made from older air-cooled R bikes, 1200's, K's etc.

Personally, I don't see the r1100s as a classic worth preserving. Enough BCR will survive as classics in stock form to preserve the type, modify away on the rest if that's your thing I say. In some respects, bikes are more personal than other forms of transport, people have always modified them to suit their needs.
********Jim********

2006 'Colgate' R1200s

BoxerCup R

Postby BoxerCup R » Mon May 22, 2017 9:48 am

I'm loving all the Cafe Racers appearing I've gotta say and I like the look of this too. I wouldn't have one of these in particular although I've thought about doing an XJR cafe racer but haven't got the time and don't intent to have the amount of time needed to even start putting my ideas down on paper, far too busy enjoying life and riding and driving :bounce: When I can't ride, I'll tinker :D
"02 Yamaha XJR 1300SP in Kenny Roberts Yellow - (bought new)
"18 BMW S1000R Sports - (bought new)

"11 Porsche Boxster 987 S Black Edition No.261 of 987

Return to “Boxerbanter”