Front tyre.....

Pull up a chair - let's talk Boxerbollox

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

slparry

Front tyre.....

Postby slparry » Fri Jul 12, 2013 5:58 pm

Last weekend I nipped to my local tyre fitters, now I have had "issues" with them before but in all fairness they paid for repairs (after it spat me off)with no arguments to my ZX12R which is why I still am willing to go back to them.

However, I'm getting a bit naffed off now. The very same guy who caused the accident on my ZX12R (by putting 4.2 bar in the tyres rather than 42psi ... meaning I was close to 70 psi fr and rr) fitted the new front tyre on my BCR.

Leaving there I had to meet someone the other side of Llangollen so going over the Horseshoe Pass was the most direct route.

The bike felt strange, more than new tyre feeling, when I got to the meeting I checked and was dismayed to find they'd not tightened up the pinch bolts on the forks :(

It felt much better after this but still not right. Today I got chance to pop it on the abba stand and the fr axle stand, to check bearings fr and rr etc. All fine.... then I thought I'd best check the tyre pressure and was dismayed to find YET AGAIN that it was WAY over pressure, I can't say what the actual pressure was as my gauge tops out at 65psi and it pegged out at max.

It took quite a lot of emptying to bring it back to the correct (for the tyre manufacturer) of 2.5 bar front (to match the 2.9 bar rear)

Now, do I mention his 2nd cock up to the tyre fitter or the owner of the business, or just keep quiet?

I do feel that I'll be better in future taking the wheels off and refitting them myself or at least making a point of checking their work in future.

I appreciate the guy was working on his own, dealing with queuing customers, phone calls etc so mistakes are screaming to happen.
--
Steve Parry

Current fleet: '14 F800GS, '87 R80RS, '03 R1100S BoxerCup, '15 R1200RT LE Dynamic, '90 K1

popsky

Postby popsky » Fri Jul 12, 2013 6:07 pm

No question tell the fitter and the owner, it's HIS job to fit tyres and inflate them, it's not rocket science.

Another thought, you maybe be better off (safer) to bring your wheels to Minehead, long way I know but the service is impeccable :wink:
Phil.

R1200S and loving it !

Hoch Bergstraßenjäger…………………………………

Blackal

Postby Blackal » Fri Jul 12, 2013 6:32 pm

They might charge you for the extra air.............. :shock:

Seriously - they need a checklist. That might sound over the top - but if you watch the "process" at Costco - they do the same process every time, and get the (car) wheel nuts double-checked by one of the other fitters.

Whiteboard or blackboard - all it takes is a couple of seconds to tick off that each part of the process is carried out.

on a cost-benefit assessment - why wouldn't you?

Or - have a pre-stamped small sheet which you include with the invoice.

Al :)
If I am ever on life support - Unplug me......
Then plug me back in..........

See if that works .....
:?

cornishflat

Postby cornishflat » Fri Jul 12, 2013 7:42 pm

4.2 bar instead of 42 psi mmmm should have gone to spec savers. :shock:
kernow,the last bit

f90x

Postby f90x » Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:05 pm

report him. could have killed you.

Dai wiskers

Postby Dai wiskers » Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:25 pm

I'm with everyone else on this one have a word with his boss that tyre may well be damaged
Let's face it he doesn't know the difference between psi and bar his boss has to be told

EDIT How many car's are running around the area with dangerously over inflated tyres and loose wheel nuts?
My bike shines when it rains!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dyslexic Dai

Steptoe
http://www.gsshop.biz/

Dan Cata
http://boxer-upgrades.webs.com/

Lennie
http://www.boxer-performance.com/index.html

boxerscott

Postby boxerscott » Fri Jul 12, 2013 11:56 pm

Fer Fcuk sake what is wrong with doing yer own tyres. It aint quantum measurement!! :shock: Easy peasy why blame someone else when you can blame yourself for being an idiot
Fiat Panda.
Fiat Scudo (with speedblock, pipe carrier, reversing sensors, reversing camera, tow bar, some new rust and Fake Plumber logo)

started out with nothing, still have most of it left.

Blackal

Postby Blackal » Sat Jul 13, 2013 12:31 am

boxerscott wrote:Fer Fcuk sake what is wrong with doing yer own tyres. It aint quantum measurement!! :shock: Easy peasy why blame someone else when you can blame yourself for being an idiot

And - how did that trip south go, when you went on your holidays a couple of years ago - Chris? :oops:

Al [smilie=whistle.gif]
If I am ever on life support - Unplug me......
Then plug me back in..........

See if that works .....
:?

f90x

Postby f90x » Sat Jul 13, 2013 7:19 am

boxerscott wrote:Fer Fcuk sake what is wrong with doing yer own tyres. It aint quantum measurement!! :shock: Easy peasy why blame someone else when you can blame yourself for being an idiot

Are you talking fitting or just pressures? I don't know anyone who has the time, or inclination to fit thier own tyres and as for pressures; if I've paid a professional 'Tyre fitter' to do it I full expect to come way without having to worry about whether everything has been put back together correctly and that the tyres have the correct pressures. It has 'nothing' to do with being easy or difficult and 'nothing' to do with ones self being an idiot. A service has been paid for and and it is expected that it is done properly. Especially given the potential outcome in this circumstance.

oyster

Postby oyster » Sat Jul 13, 2013 8:22 am

Having worked in the accident investigation industry for some time, I know that if it was found that the tyres were wrongly inflated having been fitted, just prior to the incident, the tyre fitting company would face court proceedings. I would return to them and point this out. How many other fittings have they sent out like this?
Oyster. 1999 R1100S. Almost original.

slparry

Postby slparry » Sat Jul 13, 2013 8:33 am

In the past I've done it loads of times, often on the top of some Welsh moor replacing an inner tube on a dirt bike too.

However, as I've gotten older I'm less inclined to get the tyre levers out, when I can ride in and have a new set fitted for little more than doing it myself. Tell me do you take the wheels off your car and fit the tyres yourself ;)

The only reason I'm hesitant about snitching to this guys boss is I don't want to get the guy in trouble or lose him his job.
--
Steve Parry

Current fleet: '14 F800GS, '87 R80RS, '03 R1100S BoxerCup, '15 R1200RT LE Dynamic, '90 K1

f90x

Postby f90x » Sat Jul 13, 2013 8:57 am

slparry wrote:

The only reason I'm hesitant about snitching to this guys boss is I don't want to get the guy in trouble or lose him his job.

The next guy he does it to mght not be as lucky as you. That person might lose more than their job.

popsky

Postby popsky » Sat Jul 13, 2013 9:00 am

slparry wrote:The only reason I'm hesitant about snitching to this guys boss is I don't want to get the guy in trouble or lose him his job.

Get a grip Steve, this bloke could cost someone there LIFE, I'd have no hesitation, go there now and tell em how it is!
Phil.

R1200S and loving it !

Hoch Bergstraßenjäger…………………………………

Hayden

Postby Hayden » Sat Jul 13, 2013 9:21 am

popsky wrote:
slparry wrote:The only reason I'm hesitant about snitching to this guys boss is I don't want to get the guy in trouble or lose him his job.

Get a grip Steve, this bloke could cost someone there LIFE, I'd have no hesitation, go there now and tell em how it is!

+1....he needs telling, and soon.

Boxadog 2000

Postby Boxadog 2000 » Sat Jul 13, 2013 2:23 pm

I am with you all the way, however he may actually cause the loss of some ones life, confront them.

Me personally I do not use the most economical option.

I always use PDQ i could get my tires probably 15% cheaper elsewhere but I trust these guys.

Our life may depend on it.

"slparry"]

In the past I've done it loads of times, often on the top of some Welsh moor replacing an inner tube on a dirt bike too.

However, as I've gotten older I'm less inclined to get the tyre levers out, when I can ride in and have a new set fitted for little more than doing it myself. Tell me do you take the wheels off your car and fit the tyres yourself ;)

The only reason I'm hesitant about snitching to this guys boss is I don't want to get the guy in trouble or lose him his job.[/quote]

Return to “Boxerbanter”