R100S!

Pull up a chair - let's talk Boxerbollox

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

Steve1200S

R100S!

Postby Steve1200S » Sun Oct 27, 2013 8:11 pm

Just seen a very nice R100S on Motorworks website. :)

http://www.motorworks.co.uk/vlive/Shop/BikesForSale.php
Always wanted an old boxer to play with in the garage and pose on (dry days only ;) )

Not too up on the 'classic' status of the old boxers, but it's a collectible bike right? Aren't the R90S versions more collectible?
----------------------------------------------
Steve.

1980 R100S
2003 VFR 800
A Silly Van.

bikesnbones

Re: R100S!

Postby bikesnbones » Mon Oct 28, 2013 12:27 am

Steve1200S wrote:Aren't the R90S versions more collectible?

Maybe, if this is anything to go by

http://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C346616

Harry Lime

Postby Harry Lime » Mon Oct 28, 2013 12:35 pm

Deleted.
Last edited by Harry Lime on Thu Apr 30, 2015 12:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Harry Lime

Steve1200S

Postby Steve1200S » Mon Oct 28, 2013 1:45 pm

I am very tempted... I may have a ride over on sat for a peek at it. :)

The mrs will kill me though!

Steve.

1980 R100S

2003 VFR 800

A Silly Van.

cornishflat

Postby cornishflat » Mon Oct 28, 2013 1:59 pm

Its worth a look. With the top end and shells having been refurbished it could be a nice alternative.
kernow,the last bit

Steve1200S

Postby Steve1200S » Mon Oct 28, 2013 2:12 pm

Its on biketrader too, the photos on there are decent and it looks in very good condition! I can only dream that my GT will look like that after 85k!

They had an R80RT for just over 1k the other week, needed more work but was a good project, but it went within a day or two.

Steve.

1980 R100S

2003 VFR 800

A Silly Van.

cornishflat

Postby cornishflat » Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:34 pm

The bobber café racer thing has certainly put up the prices. I,d love to pick up another and do a café racer to go alongside the bobber. They do get under your skin and I guess the more you make it "your own" the harder it is to part with the.....or at least that's my excuse.
If that's your thinking to have a play with one then I,m sure you won,t regret it and if you do I know someone who will take it off your hands. 8)
kernow,the last bit

Steve1200S

Postby Steve1200S » Tue Oct 29, 2013 6:30 am

May mess with it at some point, but I love the look of it so much I'm going to keep it standard and do sensible upgrades -

Fork springs
Shocks
Electronic ignition
Uprated charging system
Oil proof clutch
Replace any seals that need it
Re-paint any items that need it
Rebuild the rest of the engine.
Strip and clean/service the carbs.

All good fun! Decision is pretty much made, the 100S will be joining the GT in my garage.

I just want to check if it been converted to unleaded, if not that'll probably be first thing on the list.

I had an old MZ that I loved playing with. It was halfway to a cafe racer when I realised how much more I'd have to spend on it to finish, and it would never be worth more than about £800. I know its nealy impossible to make money at bike restoration, and that's not the point really, but the R100 will at least hold its value if its kept original.

Steve.

1980 R100S

2003 VFR 800

A Silly Van.

Harry Lime

Postby Harry Lime » Tue Oct 29, 2013 8:16 pm

Deleted.
Last edited by Harry Lime on Thu Apr 30, 2015 12:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Harry Lime

Steve1200S

Postby Steve1200S » Tue Oct 29, 2013 8:51 pm

Harry Lime wrote:[quote="Steve1200S"

<snip>

I just want to check if it been converted to unleaded, if not that'll probably be first thing on the list.

<snip>

Um. I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Experience of many riders is that a higher mileage engine will have case hardened it's valves and seats beyond the point where unleaded fuel will worry it too much.

Just run it (maybe with a lead additive - I use Castrol 'cos I can stash the handy bottle somewhere on the bike).

Keep an eye on your tappet clearances. Easy on an R100. If they're closing up big time, only then consider having work done.

It's a better option than chucking your heads at some expensive head modifier for no good reason.

I've run 70's Laverdas for years. Converted one - wish I hadn't. The others are still charging along happily (touch wood).

HTH and saves you some money.

H.

PS. Castrol Valvemaster. About a tenner a bottle You don't need much per tank & so lasts for ages. Bottle design means you can stash / carry it leak free.[/quote]

Thanks for the advice. I came to the same conclusion after some googling and talking to the guy at Motorworks.

Hate to say it, but I'm too young to have come across leaded petrol, so I didn't know what was involved. :oops:

Going on Friday for a look at the bike, hope its as nice in real life as the photo! :)

Not sure what to expect in terms of the ride, but I liked my 1150 boxer over the 1200 because it was less smooth and more rough, how I expected a boxer to be. hope the r100 is more of the same.

Steve.

1980 R100S

2003 VFR 800

A Silly Van.

Corvus

Postby Corvus » Tue Oct 29, 2013 9:31 pm

Steve1200S wrote:
Harry Lime wrote:[quote="Steve1200S"

<snip>

<snip>

Um. I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Experience of many riders is that a higher mileage engine will have case hardened it's valves and seats beyond the point where unleaded fuel will worry it too much.

Just run it (maybe with a lead additive - I use Castrol 'cos I can stash the handy bottle somewhere on the bike).

Keep an eye on your tappet clearances. Easy on an R100. If they're closing up big time, only then consider having work done.

It's a better option than chucking your heads at some expensive head modifier for no good reason.

I've run 70's Laverdas for years. Converted one - wish I hadn't. The others are still charging along happily (touch wood).

HTH and saves you some money.

H.

PS. Castrol Valvemaster. About a tenner a bottle You don't need much per tank & so lasts for ages. Bottle design means you can stash / carry it leak free.

Thanks for the advice. I came to the same conclusion after some googling and talking to the guy at Motorworks.

Hate to say it, but I'm too young to have come across leaded petrol, so I didn't know what was involved. :oops:

Going on Friday for a look at the bike, hope its as nice in real life as the photo! :)

Not sure what to expect in terms of the ride, but I liked my 1150 boxer over the 1200 because it was less smooth and more rough, how I expected a boxer to be. hope the r100 is more of the same.[/quote]

Good luck with the test ride. I'm looking forward to hearing your appraisal. I hated them at the time (late seventies) but as an owner of an r100 now and putting the thing into context I can see they were very competent machines.

Riding on skinny tyres isn't the issue people make it out to be.

Enjoy!

(Hope you cop for half decent weather)

Steve1200S

Postby Steve1200S » Wed Oct 30, 2013 8:27 am

Well I'm riding over on the GT (not that I have any other choice, I will get a car one day!), so it'll be quite a contrast going from the starship enterprise to a bilge pump with two wheels. :wink: :wink:

I don't really have any expectations.... I've never rode anything like it appart from an MZ. :oops: and the MZ wasn't horrible to ride, just really, really slow!

I'll let you know how it goes.

Steve.

1980 R100S

2003 VFR 800

A Silly Van.

slparry

Postby slparry » Wed Oct 30, 2013 11:21 am

I'm guessing the outcome will be that it's "endearing" :) along with how crap old brakes and suspension are :)
--
Steve Parry

Current fleet: '14 F800GS, '87 R80RS, '03 R1100S BoxerCup, '15 R1200RT LE Dynamic, '90 K1

Herb

Postby Herb » Wed Oct 30, 2013 11:49 am

slparry wrote:I'm guessing the outcome will be that it's "endearing" :) along with how crap old brakes and suspension are :)

Never meet your heroes.

I had always wanted a Kwak z1 after parking my moped next to one and being completely blown away by the look of it, even though it was starting to get dated even then. (approx 1988)

I bought a z900 about 10 years ago. Fantastic looking, but shocking to ride by modern standards. Its hard to think these were once cutting edge.

Not very quick, handled OK as long as you planned well and did not ask too much of it. Heavy, thirsty and dreadful brakes. It did improve my riding though, you really had to plan well if you were going to hustle.

I would only buy a classic now as a 3rd or 4th bike, something for fettling more than riding.

This R100s looks interesting. Definitely scope for fettling and improvement, but it looks pretty good from the pics.

A quick google suggests that the Lufthansa tag is false, these were actually a limited run of 'Exclusive Sport' models in colours lifted from a racing bike. Don't know for sure, but it seems this could be an interesting model one way or another.
********Jim********
---------------------------
2006 'Colgate' R1200s

Steve1200S

Postby Steve1200S » Wed Oct 30, 2013 11:51 am

It's all part of the fun! 8)

Think my heart has already bought it! Just need my head to confirm it's worth spending the same amount as a half decent R1100S on a 33 year old bike with 85k on it!

Steve.

1980 R100S

2003 VFR 800

A Silly Van.

Return to “Boxerbanter”