Would it be madness...

Pull up a chair - let's talk Boxerbollox

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

f90x

Would it be madness...

Postby f90x » Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:41 pm

to buy one of these

I really want one. Never ridden one mind. I hear stories of the front wheel always being in the air and I know how they vibrate like crazy as my mate has a Harley XR1200X with the same tune as the race series bikes and at tickover it feels like I'm sitting on an earthquake but by crikey they look good.

Blackal

Postby Blackal » Sun Oct 27, 2013 11:11 pm

Looks good.

Apparently you shouldn't leave a Buell running when unattended - as they can vibrate off the stand and fall over :shock:

KTM might prove a more reliable choice?

Nice looking bike though.

Al :D
If I am ever on life support - Unplug me......
Then plug me back in..........

See if that works .....
:?

conkerman

Postby conkerman » Sun Oct 27, 2013 11:11 pm

I prefer the later ones. Nearly bought a fire bolt a few years ago, but went for a Fazer instead.
Gary

bikesnbones

Re: Would it be madness...

Postby bikesnbones » Sun Oct 27, 2013 11:17 pm

f90x wrote:to buy one of these.

I've been told that Buells are very hit and miss in terms of quality and reliability, and that was from my local Harley dealer who used to sell them.

That said, the decision to buy a bike should always come from the heart.

I used to run an old Guzzi Sport, and I had people warning me off it left right and centre, but I went ahead anyway, and had 2 years trouble free riding out of it.

Go for it.

Bikerhoss

Postby Bikerhoss » Mon Oct 28, 2013 7:20 am

I'm biased, ex-Buell owner. Answer: Yes 8)
The older models are the prefered amongst members of www.ukbeg.co.com, If it hasn't been 'sorted' by Maz already, and you DO buy it, the first thing you want to do is go see him, Buell sorting god, and he hates the newer XB's :wink:

The front wheel's only in the air as much as you want, easily controlled, big fat torque curve to ride, no top end surge, And yes, never leave it alone and idling, it WILL fall over :!: Check fasteners every week in case they've rattled loose too :roll:
Blame the Deed, Not the Breed
Traitor Z1000SX Owner

conkerman

Postby conkerman » Mon Oct 28, 2013 7:47 am

If its cheap power wheelies you are after, have a go of a firestorm. Very underrated (so dirt cheap).

With sorted forks they are a brilliant road bike.
Gary

jeznewsome

Postby jeznewsome » Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:14 am

S1W is my ideal buell but just bought a 2001 X1, as a 'reliable' alternative. It has just been thoroughly Maz'd too before I bought it and effectively sealed the bargain. Though a grumpy b'stard Maz knows the machines inside out and his fettling certainly made my previous XB9R a better machine.

As for Firestorms, nice engine but wooly handling even after spring treatment to the forks and a shim under the rear shock mount.

Dog Tyred

Postby Dog Tyred » Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:18 am

I've always wondered what shooting my self in the foot with a shotgun would be like but I'm not gonna try it!!

DT
Last edited by Dog Tyred on Mon Oct 28, 2013 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ride like your life depended on it.

2002 BCR

Blackal

Re: Would it be madness...

Postby Blackal » Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:22 am

f90x wrote:Would it be madness.

If I am ever on life support - Unplug me......
Then plug me back in..........

See if that works .....
:?

conkerman

Postby conkerman » Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:56 am

jeznewsome wrote:
As for Firestorms, nice engine but wooly handling even after spring treatment to the forks and a shim under the rear shock mount.

Needs a bit more than springs as the damping circuit is awful.

I had mine done by a company in Rochdale. Utterly transformed. My riding mates were amazed by the difference that could be made for about £300.

No running wide, stable on brakes. Braking during turn in was not a problem.

The 2nd nicest steer I have owned, My ZX9 was the best. I just gelled with that bike, big fat hefferlump it was :)
Gary

oyster

Postby oyster » Mon Oct 28, 2013 1:33 pm

While hunting for a future proof bike, I was departing an aged GS1000, I tried lots of different machines about nine - ten years ago. Most of the Triumphs, Yams and from the same outlet, a Buell. I had it for about an hour of mad fun, so much torque. I decided that was all it did for me, fun at an hour at a time. But fantastic fun. I could not ride it on a touring holiday and doubted I would like to take a pillion on it. On a budget for space, time and money, I bought the R1100S a few months later.
Oyster. 1999 R1100S. Almost original.

f90x

Postby f90x » Mon Oct 28, 2013 2:25 pm

oyster wrote: I had it for about an hour of mad fun, so much torque. I decided that was all it did for me, fun at an hour at a time. But fantastic fun. I could not ride it on a touring holiday and doubted I would like to take a pillion on it. On a budget for space, time and money, I bought the R1100S a few months later.

That's the thing, I'm not bothered about pillions but if I go out I'm out all day and every few years I like a 3k trip around Europe. Unfortunately I don't have the space for two bikes. Hmmmm. Man, I want one, and they sound awesome.

Greg, loan me your shotgun...

conkerman

Postby conkerman » Mon Oct 28, 2013 3:40 pm

I have an urge to chuck some cash into one of the 1125 bikes. They really can't get much cheaper can they??

The idea of the monster Vtwin +remap appeals.
Gary

f90x

Postby f90x » Wed Oct 30, 2013 6:16 pm

jeznewsome wrote:S1W is my ideal buell but just bought a 2001 X1, as a 'reliable' alternative. It has just been thoroughly Maz'd too before I bought it and effectively sealed the bargain. Though a grumpy b'stard Maz knows the machines inside out and his fettling certainly made my previous XB9R a better machine.

This is the S1W Jez. It's the only one I'm interested in. The X1 doesn't do it for me I'm afraid. I don't like the alloy subframe.

jeznewsome

Postby jeznewsome » Wed Oct 30, 2013 8:02 pm

f90x wrote:This is the S1W Jez. It's the only one I'm interested in. The X1 doesn't do it for me I'm afraid. I don't like the alloy subframe.

I know, it looks lovely! At least one bit of X1 on it though!

Return to “Boxerbanter”