Iceland by ferry/motorbike?

Pull up a chair - let's talk Boxerbollox

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

bigblackfalco

Iceland by ferry/motorbike?

Postby bigblackfalco » Mon Feb 17, 2014 8:56 pm

Has anyone ever done this?
Any advice please?
Honda VFR750 FV 1997 Red and dirty, 130K miles.

Honda VFR800 Xf Crossrunner 2016 White and dirty, 120K miles.

slparry

Postby slparry » Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:22 pm

My understanding is that it's difficult nowadays. I believe you used to be able to turn up for the Scrabster ferry which went to the Faroes, then picked the ferry to Iceland from there. However, nowadays there's no ferry from Scrabster to the Faroes which means you have to get a ferry from Norway to Iceland, and I think they've stopped the ferry to Norway from the UK now which means possibly the ferry to Denmark (if it's still running) and a long trek across Sweden and Norway for the ferry
--
Steve Parry

Current fleet: '14 F800GS, '87 R80RS, '03 R1100S BoxerCup, '15 R1200RT LE Dynamic, '90 K1

Blackal

Postby Blackal » Tue Feb 18, 2014 3:34 am

Yeah - I think you have to get to Bergen for the ferry, and that will involve Harwich-Esbjerg first, I think?

Al
If I am ever on life support - Unplug me......
Then plug me back in..........

See if that works .....
:?

leasky

Postby leasky » Tue Feb 18, 2014 7:26 am

Smyril line ferries used to stop along Shetland on route to Iceland and me and a few of my pals went on it a few years ago. Iceland is an incredible place to visit.

Sadly, Smyril line no longer use Shetland and the Iceland ferry leaves from Denmark these days.
Leasky

hobbit

Postby hobbit » Tue Feb 18, 2014 8:39 am

Try a company called samskip go from immingham not ferries but can carry 12 passengers

Gavin

wicker

Postby wicker » Tue Feb 18, 2014 8:43 pm

Had looked into a ferry to Iceland but: A) Found you need to get from the UK to Denmark (which is another ferry & day each way), B) It was then something like a 3 day crossing each way with a stopover in the Faroe Islands, and C) you will need to sit down from the shock when you see the Denmark to Iceland ferry prices. Too much travel time & £ to justify taking my own bike.

Personally, I would take Easyjet from Edinburgh (was about £150 return when I did it last July) and hire a bike there or take an organised tour. Biking Viking have been recommended by someone I know but I have not used them myself.

http://www.rmc.is/en/biking-viking/

Likely to be back in Iceland myself this year to see my sister (who now lives there) but not yet decided if this will involve a bike hire. It certainly appeared good riding country when you got out of Reykjavik (albeit only in my sisters car)

bigblackfalco

Postby bigblackfalco » Tue Feb 18, 2014 9:40 pm

Yes it's Smyril ferries I was looking at.
They are doing a 'bike goes free' deal at the moment.
It does involve sailing from northern Denmark.
The crossing is 66hrs.
There is a stipulation that you must spend 2 days on the Faroe Islands (guess it's a way for you to spend some money there!).
I don't think it's outrageously expensive considering that you will have your own transport for the duration of your stay.

nab 301

Postby nab 301 » Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:09 pm

bigblackfalco wrote:I don't think it's outrageously expensive considering that you will have your own transport for the duration of your stay.

Are you taking the VFR :wink:

Keep smiling, it makes people wonder what you've been up to!
1999 R1100s (mandarin) '
2018 DL 250V Strom
2019 CB125F Honda.
MZ301 Saxon Fun ( currently retired)
'03 Bullet 65 project..

leasky

Postby leasky » Wed Feb 19, 2014 7:32 am

The scenery is truly spectacular in Iceland and there is a large glacier in the NW of the island.

We took a guided tour there one day (too drunk / hungover to drive) and I was amazed as we drove through the various towns as to the variance in the appearance of many of the inhabitants ie some were the quintessential blonde and blue eyed Scandinavian whereas others had dark hair, brown eyes and a "swarthy" appearance.

I asked the (very pretty) tour guide as to how there was such a difference in the appearances of persons who ostensibly are pretty remote in geographical terms. To which she replied:

"For 500 years the Vikings went everywhere from here to Egypt, selected the prettiest females, took them back here and raped and bred them." :shock:

I couldn't argue with her logic or her factual response and it did somewhat sum up the attitude and personality of a lot of the people which we met - nice folk, direct and very matter of fact.

It was almost 30 years ago since we went there but it is still a vivid and enjoyable memory.

Good luck if you end up going; I have no doubt you will not regret it.
Leasky

bigblackfalco

Postby bigblackfalco » Wed Feb 19, 2014 5:27 pm

nab 301 wrote:
bigblackfalco wrote:I don't think it's outrageously expensive considering that you will have your own transport for the duration of your stay.

Are you taking the VFR :wink:

Don't joke! David Cameron has made it clear that even unemployed motorcycles must be made to work!
I need to get it back on the road as it's been idle since Autumn last year.
It's going to be one of those embarrassing moments when the MOT tester makes a comment about the lack of miles done since the last test :lol:

bigblackfalco

Postby bigblackfalco » Wed Feb 19, 2014 5:29 pm

leasky wrote:The scenery is truly spectacular in Iceland and there is a large glacier in the NW of the island.

We took a guided tour there one day (too drunk / hungover to drive) and I was amazed as we drove through the various towns as to the variance in the appearance of many of the inhabitants ie some were the quintessential blonde and blue eyed Scandinavian whereas others had dark hair, brown eyes and a "swarthy" appearance.

I asked the (very pretty) tour guide as to how there was such a difference in the appearances of persons who ostensibly are pretty remote in geographical terms. To which she replied:

"For 500 years the Vikings went everywhere from here to Egypt, selected the prettiest females, took them back here and raped and bred them." :shock:

I couldn't argue with her logic or her factual response and it did somewhat sum up the attitude and personality of a lot of the people which we met - nice folk, direct and very matter of fact.

It was almost 30 years ago since we went there but it is still a vivid and enjoyable memory.

Good luck if you end up going; I have no doubt you will not regret it.

Thanks.
I'm into Landscape photography. It looks like a spectacular place! :D

HerrFlick

Re: Iceland by ferry/motorbike?

Postby HerrFlick » Thu Feb 27, 2014 6:55 am

bigblackfalco wrote:Has anyone ever done this?
Any advice please?

My son - an MTB nutter from Sheffield + nutter mates - pedalled diagonally across several years ago. Had to carry 'everything' including water. Rocky dusty tracks/roads like those of western Queensland here in Oz. Took abt 12 days.

Real torque curves don't have a first derivative. :-^)

das bike u1100s

Postby das bike u1100s » Thu Feb 27, 2014 4:43 pm

I took a land rover to Iceland in the late 80's via Aberdeen, Shetland, faroes, a trip in itself.
The island is amazing we travelled around the "ring road" then cut through the interior.
my one tip---fuel stations can be few & far between!!
Never touched it, honest!
2019.Triump explorer 1200xca. The upstart
2016. K1200r. Fun, but mad
2004. 2004 bcr, my pride & joy, 70000mls on
2001 ducati st4
2000 yamaha fazer 600. born again
1982 kwacker 1000j2. they did away with the kick start

Return to “Boxerbanter”