Anniversary Maps from French IGN

Pull up a chair - let's talk Boxerbollox

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

JamesL

Anniversary Maps from French IGN

Postby JamesL » Sat Mar 08, 2014 8:02 am

If your French is up to it, the French equivalent of the Ordnance Survey publishes all sorts of maps, not only of France but of former French colonies.

I've just bought a couple of excellent anniversary maps from them - WW1 and D Day. Each is overprinted with the main military dispositions, sights to see, a brief history etc. Commentary and map notes in French (!), English and German. The WW1 one has QR codes to relevant websites, and marks routes you can take supported by the relevant app to guide you round. They're under a tenner each including postage and imho a bargain. The truly shocking thing on the WW1 one is the sheer scale of the trenches - you just dont believe they dug all the way from the sea to the Alps pretty much, but they did. And where they got to in October 1914 was basically where they stayed for the next 4 years. http://loisirs.ign.fr.

The only downside is the IGN website is it's tout en Francais, but it's a very conventional layout and O Level will see you safely through...

Phil K

Postby Phil K » Sat Mar 08, 2014 11:59 am

Great find!
Have ordered the Great War map

Phil
R11s + Val Singleton Power filter - Lennies induct - Y Piece - Wilbers - PC111
1974 Honda CB750 1974 Triumph Trident T150 Oh and a GS-LC

gus

Postby gus » Sat Mar 08, 2014 12:27 pm

Hi
Thanks for that. Will order a couple between me and my mate. As we are planning a war sites trip soon.
All the best
Gus

Return to “Boxerbanter”