Are old British classics fun or big disappointments?

Pull up a chair - let's talk Boxerbollox

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

Grip Fast

Are old British classics fun or big disappointments?

Postby Grip Fast » Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:06 pm

So with retirement looming, I'm thinking about getting an old classic British bike (BSA A7/A10 is favourite) as a project/hobby. I do want a road worthy runner that I can ride. However, I wonder if I will really enjoy riding an old bike after years of modern sports tourers (I intend keeping my BMW as the serious going places bike).

An old friend of mine spent a couple of years restoring his first bike, a C15, back to mint condition - it had spent years in bits in tea chests. When finished, he rode it round the block once and said "never again; it's horrible". He had a Ducati 916 and an ST2 at the time. Another friend has an Ariel Leader and loves it; his other bike is a Virago 535 - not exactly cutting edge although fun in its own way.

So my question is, does anyone here have a modern bike and an old classic that they ride, and is the old classic fun to ride, or just horrible compared to the modern one? Should I take the rose-tinted glasses off, or go for it?

I'll still make my own mind up, but I'm interested in opinions.

Herb

Postby Herb » Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:19 pm

I have had Jap classics and you have to accept old bikes can't compare in any way to modern bikes. They are also not as good as you remember.

That said, they open up a whole different way of riding, seeing the world and making new friends.

They are also fun (and expensive) to own and fettle, so if it's up thing go for it. Just don't expect to be selling your everyday bike anytime soon.
********Jim********
---------------------------
2006 'Colgate' R1200s

Corvus

Postby Corvus » Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:15 pm

I fully restored an a10 in the early nineties. I ran it for two years, but in the end moved on to later machines. The problem I found with the a10 was that it vibrated like hell when really pushed and the brakes were non existent. And that was in 91 or 92 . Gawd knows how the brakes would feel now.

My own advice would be to give consideration to an oldish Beemer or guzzi or something of that ilk. My r100 (1983) offers a lot of the classic feel, but with engine, chassis and braking performance more able to align with modern traffic/riding tendencies. With the right silencers it sounds very much like an old Brit twin anyway. Shod with bt45's or A N other modernish rubber, it can be hustled along at a fair lick. 70 hp is enough to be fun but not intimidating. You can easily use all of it. The old a10 offers around 30 hp I think, and probably weighs more.

PBBoxer

Postby PBBoxer » Tue Jul 22, 2014 11:10 pm

I run modern bikes and also older stuff (admittedly not too old but still with totally useless brakes)
I love jumping on the older stuff, it has character and you have to rude differently... but would not be without it
1997 CBR1100XXV
1999 CBR1100XX
2009 HP2 Sport
2006 R1200s
2013 R1200RT anniversary

dark_knight87

Postby dark_knight87 » Wed Jul 23, 2014 12:36 pm

I love riding a classic bike, it's a different pace of life but can also be challenging with the amount of traffic on the roads these days. Classic bikes are excellent on B roads you can taking in the scenery and there is no rush to get where you are going.

I have a 1953 BSA A10 Golden Flash and she will pootle along 50mph all day without issue, yes the brakes are not as good as modern disc brakes but they do the job but your not going fast enough to need them.

I also have a 1983 BMW R80ST and this gives you the classic bike feel but with some more modern comforts like disc brakes, more power and indicators.

Regards,
Russ
It started badly, it tailed off a little in the middle and the less said about the end the better, but apart from that it was excellent.

Harry Lime

Postby Harry Lime » Wed Jul 23, 2014 12:39 pm

Deleted.
Last edited by Harry Lime on Thu Apr 30, 2015 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Harry Lime

sherpatensing

Postby sherpatensing » Wed Jul 23, 2014 12:52 pm

I have a 1977 Moto Guzzi Lemans Mk1 in original spec fitted with BT45's and this rides like a bag of crap and I do not ride it anymore. It is physically small and uncomfortable unless you are 5ft tall. I run a 2007 1200 GS as a daily commuter, had it from new and done 50,000 miles and this feels great but I would think the latest GS would make this feel dated. I also have a 2003 BCR which already feels a little dated in the engine dept. My friend has an RD500, don't take a hand off the bar, it wobbles so much.
Try out a classic and form your own opinion, but usually, the older the bike the more 'characterful' (Shit) they are. (There are some exceptions I'm sure) But its personal choice as usual.

Harry Lime

Postby Harry Lime » Wed Jul 23, 2014 1:19 pm

Deleted.
Last edited by Harry Lime on Thu Apr 30, 2015 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Harry Lime

Droptarotter

Postby Droptarotter » Wed Jul 23, 2014 1:52 pm

My most modern bike is the HP2 Sport and my oldest restored bike is my 1972 Hodaka Wombat.
I do have an R100 that I have had since new and recently purchased my 1985 RZ 350.

I have to get a mind set when I ride the old bikes.........ride them for what they are.....enjoy just being on an old bike that there might not be many of any more.

The biggest lesson I learned is if you are going to ride multiple bikes on the same day, ride the oldest bike first. I did a ride on my HP2 for a couple of hours, came home and jumped on the R100 and almost went through a red light! I was used to the newer brakes and it almost caught me!!

The Hodaka is a real trip to ride......it only does about 45mph........so it's scary on todays roads.....it has poor brakes and no power, but when I took it to Hodaka Days in Athena, Oregon (where they were built) and did the Bad Rock Trail Ride, it made me realize why they built these bikes the way they did.........it was perfect for the Oregon back country that we were in!

My advice.........get the old bike that you wanted or had as a youngster.......and just ride it for what it is!

Cheers

Corvus

Postby Corvus » Wed Jul 23, 2014 1:56 pm

Harry Lime wrote:
sherpatensing wrote:I have a 1977 Moto Guzzi Lemans Mk1 in original spec fitted with BT45's and this rides like a bag of crap and I do not ride it anymore.

<Adopt> "Well, guv, I might be able to help you there. Take it off your hands, like?"

H.

:D

Ya beat me to it.

Grip Fast

Postby Grip Fast » Wed Jul 23, 2014 2:39 pm

Great answers on both sides of the argument. Thanks all.

Via a different social media, I have been invited to the local BSA owners club meet in a couple of weeks.

And a link to a classic bike hire place that has a range of old classics, including BSAs (A10 & A65) and Triumphs.

http://www.classicbikehire.com

£100 for a day's hire would give me a chance to really try one out. Decisions, decisions.

oyster

Postby oyster » Wed Jul 23, 2014 4:24 pm

I think it depends entirely on your riding attitude. As described, the A10 ( and others of that era) were only designed to do 50mph all day long. They will go faster, the 'Ton-up-boys' proved that, but there are the obvious drawbacks of caning a machine of that type. My 1958 Triton needed exceptional amounts of maintenance when I rode it in the '70's; I was amazed when I switched to a Kawasaki Z400 that it could be ridden at 70mph all day long and all it needed was petrol. Two chaps I know ride old Triumphs, Steve is unusual. He is a textbook 'chap'. He wears the period clothes - tweeds! uses it to go all over Europe with his wife for camping holidays, but never goes more than 65mph. His 650 twin has over 100 K on the clock; he does detailed, careful services and has no major problems. He will only ride old British machines, considering (after trying them) other modern bikes to have lost the point. My thought on the matter is, if it is what you want, then go for it, but respect it's limitations. Personally, I prefer the superior technology and machining tolerances of the re-born bike market, post 1995.
Oyster. 1999 R1100S. Almost original.

nab 301

Postby nab 301 » Wed Jul 23, 2014 6:25 pm

I could never really afford a proper classic , so at one stage I bought a four year old Enfield bullet 350 as a non runner in 2002 , the non running part was just the points had closed up , and the gearbox needed a little bit of fettling. I kept it for about seven years .
On the right road and in the right company they're great , there's loads of modifying you can do or you can ride as is.
The later ones have 5 speed boxes with disc brakes , mine was the old classic with terrible brakes and "trials" ratios .
Good ones can be got for very little if you're patient.
I sold mine a few years back and haven't really missed it but if the right one comes along I wouldn't say no.
Or you could splash a few bob on the new continental Gt
http://www.royalenfield.me/

Keep smiling, it makes people wonder what you've been up to!
1999 R1100s (mandarin) '
2018 DL 250V Strom
2019 CB125F Honda.
MZ301 Saxon Fun ( currently retired)
'03 Bullet 65 project..

The Teutonic Tangerine

Postby The Teutonic Tangerine » Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:17 am

Chap I know dreagged his A65 Thunderbolt out of the back of the Gareage last year and fettled it up and got it through its first MOT for 20 odd years. He said that it frightened him to death the brakes were so poor - bear in mind he hadn't ridden anything himself in the intervening 2o odd years so was not even coparing old to new. like everyone has sid treat it as what it is an old un and accept its limitations an dit could be a blast - I had a great time riding a friends ES2 Norton 500 and Sunbeam S8 back in the 80's it's just that we rode them at 45 to 60 MPH on open country roads (I remember the first time I jammed on the single leading shoe front brake of the Sunbeam when we picked it up and I was surrounded in a cloud of rust dust.) :oops:
There would appear to be a surfeit of prolixity and sesquipedalian content today please do not use a big word when a singularly un-loquacious and diminutive linguistic expression will satisfactorily accomplish the contemporary necessity

andy griff

Postby andy griff » Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:44 pm

Interesting topic.
I have an R1200S and bought a K1100RS to supplement it. I love it. 1997 and absolutely quick enough, plus modern enough to have good brakes and strong engine. New enough to make spares available and reliable enough to start first time when i go to the garage after a coupe of weeks.

Each to their own, this one scratches my itch for something a bit classic without meaning its always in bits

Return to “Boxerbanter”