Anyone with BMW F800S knowledge?

Pull up a chair - let's talk Boxerbollox

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

jeznewsome

Anyone with BMW F800S knowledge?

Postby jeznewsome » Sat Aug 09, 2014 2:17 pm

Madam passed her bike test yesterday so looking for a suitable bike and looking at an F800S.

One thing that worries me a little is the reputation of the early bikes for having piston slap problems?

Anyone with any knowledge?

The bikes we are looking at are 06, 56 and 58 reg. Interestingly the 58 reg bike has already had the pistons, crankcases and con rods replaced, presumably as a result of these problems.

Any other weak areas or stuff to check specific to this model?

popsky

Postby popsky » Sat Aug 09, 2014 4:01 pm

Hi Jez, no direct knowledge of the S model but here maybe something of interest
http://f800riders.org/forum/showthread. ... iston+slap

My wife has the R variant, same motor but has chain final drive so a conventional swing arm, instead of the single sided belt drive for the S. 14K miles and a cracking bike, some high frequency vibes through the bars/pegs, almost cured by grip puppies and aftermarket foot pegs with rubber inserts. Karen loves it, cracking engine and all day comfy very frugal and very capable machine. Good luck with the first bike for your partner.
Phil.

R1200S and loving it !

Hoch Bergstraßenjäger…………………………………

Fw190

Postby Fw190 » Sat Aug 09, 2014 4:40 pm

I had one when they first came out, it was a great bike, I changed up the rear shock for a Wilburs as the stock one is a bit...hmmm shite! changed the cartridges in the front forks, added a race can and she was set, great all day comfort and amazing mpg!

had a great trip down through France, Spain, on into Italy and home, that's when things went a bit tits up really, it dropped a valve a couple of days after it's 2nd service and had to have a new engine... this on top of problems with the gearbox and the fitting of a new final drive sprocket, and valve stem seals, left me feeling a bit fed up with it...

I imagine the later ones are pretty sorted, I actually think the ST is a better bike as the ride position is better.. the ST can be had for good (ish) money... given the choice, I'd buy a VFR 800! can be found for the same sort of money, and it's a Honda... dig around and find a single owner bike and they're truly amazing value.. for me, the 800's was a great bike let down by an engine that was not up to the job...

I liked the bike, hated the issues, swapped it in for a 12GS which I ran for a couple of years...

none of this probably helps! but like I say, my money would be on a VFR800 Honda!

Ty

andy griff

Postby andy griff » Sat Aug 09, 2014 7:22 pm

My wife has an F800S. She loves it. Economy is outstanding, its comfortable and light to handle. Quick enough to cruise at 95 all day if required. Belt drive is quiet and clean. Luggage capacity is great either with seat bag or panniers.
We have put fairing lowers on, plus Akra can and ST screen. Plus it has ABS which is reassuring in wet conditions.
Really cheap to run, stylish and a good badge too !

jeznewsome

Postby jeznewsome » Sat Aug 09, 2014 8:12 pm

Thanks guys some useful links to more reading and also personal experience, good stuff.

metropolis2k

Postby metropolis2k » Sat Aug 09, 2014 10:41 pm

I heard of issues with the first few years but after 2008 or so they're supposed to be better.

My friend had an ST which is the same bike just slightly different fairings and bars (surflogic on here) and he had a stalling issue with his which seems to be fairly common. I think BMW fixed it in the end despite claiming not to know what it was (clearly a lie as it's a really common complaint).

I've got half an eye on an S as a cheap track bike so definitely rate them despite the above niggles.
2000 BMW R1150GS
2004 BMW R1100SS Boxer Cup Replica
2003 Yamaha R6 (trackday bike)

dave the german

Postby dave the german » Sun Aug 10, 2014 4:06 am

I had them as courtesy bikes and can be a very gentle power delivery - apparently dealer blokie said they were meant for people not long past their test - but, I've seen Karen!! Oh, and I have a VFR800 which I'm quite enjoying but I think I would get the BMW
'15 R1200GS TE
'06 R1200S
'04 BCR
Yam SR 500 long term restoration
wanna win the lottery and ride my bike

jeznewsome

Postby jeznewsome » Sun Aug 10, 2014 7:19 am

buying a VFR would be ideal apart from the physical size and weight not being compatible.

popsky

Postby popsky » Sun Aug 10, 2014 8:44 am

jeznewsome wrote:buying a VFR would be ideal apart from the physical size and weight not being compatible.

The size aspect is what K likes about the 8R, only having the fly screen makes it look a lot smaller than the S/ST, she did demo an S a couple of years before the R came out and didn't like the moulded tank/fairings, it felt bulbous if you get my drift :?
Phil.

R1200S and loving it !

Hoch Bergstraßenjäger…………………………………

jeznewsome

Postby jeznewsome » Sun Aug 10, 2014 12:49 pm

Been to look at an 06 bike today. Totally immaculate, would never guess the age. Done <500miles in the last 4 years with only 4500 miles in total.

Aside from a knackered battery there was a slight coolant weep from the area of what I assume is the water pump on the RHS of the engine and then there was some slight high freq mechanical ticking when cold (jump started it) which disappeared one warmed up. Not sure whether this was the piston slap problem or not. We walked away to do some more research.

andy griff

Postby andy griff » Sun Aug 10, 2014 1:39 pm

They all do that sir ( not the leaking water pump tho') :D

jeznewsome

Postby jeznewsome » Sun Aug 10, 2014 3:00 pm

andy griff wrote:They all do that sir ( not the leaking water pump tho') :D

...hmm I am worried that we turn something down that should make the noises it is making, especially as the rest of it is so clean.

slparry

Postby slparry » Sun Aug 10, 2014 3:06 pm

Go and see a used one in a bmw dealership to get a feel for what is regarded as "good"?

Also pull the clutch in as the clutch at tick over can be noisy and mask an otherwise quiet engine.

You can put it on bmw extended warranty online for £30 a month or so yourself too which is a good mind easer:)
--
Steve Parry

Current fleet: '14 F800GS, '87 R80RS, '03 R1100S BoxerCup, '15 R1200RT LE Dynamic, '90 K1

Fw190

Postby Fw190 » Mon Aug 11, 2014 9:28 am

jeznewsome wrote:Been to look at an 06 bike today. Totally immaculate, would never guess the age. Done <500miles in the last 4 years with only 4500 miles in total.

Aside from a knackered battery there was a slight coolant weep from the area of what I assume is the water pump on the RHS of the engine and then there was some slight high freq mechanical ticking when cold (jump started it) which disappeared one warmed up. Not sure whether this was the piston slap problem or not. We walked away to do some more research.

money aside, I'd stay clear of the 06 bikes, it was the first production run and like I said before, mine had a bunch of issues. As Steve says, take a look at some dealer bikes if money allows. At least that way you'll have warranty etc from the dealer, an 06 bike that's done bugger all for 4 years, with a fluid leak, hmm, I'd be taking a long walk away from that one. My thoughts

Ty

Fw190

Postby Fw190 » Mon Aug 11, 2014 9:44 am

andy griff wrote:My wife has an F800S. She loves it. Economy is outstanding, its comfortable and light to handle. Quick enough to cruise at 95 all day if required. Belt drive is quiet and clean. Luggage capacity is great either with seat bag or panniers.
We have put fairing lowers on, plus Akra can and ST screen. Plus it has ABS which is reassuring in wet conditions.
Really cheap to run, stylish and a good badge too !

Fairing lowers from Schnitzer, race can from Remus (the badge fell off somewhere in France!) ST touring screen which worked really well..this was donington if I recall..

Ty

Return to “Boxerbanter”