North Wales recommendations.

Pull up a chair - let's talk Boxerbollox

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

Trumpetdude

North Wales recommendations.

Postby Trumpetdude » Tue Apr 14, 2015 5:46 pm

Having the bike whilst working away from home is brilliant. Got this Sunday to myself, heading down from Liverpool does anyone have any recommendations for North and west Wales? Ta mucho!
Parping my way along... Actually yes, I do blow my own trumpet.

metropolis2k

Postby metropolis2k » Tue Apr 14, 2015 6:39 pm

How far south do you want to head? The A483 between Llandrindod Wells and Newtown was my favourite when I explored Wales a couple of years back. It was so good I did it twice :wink:
2000 BMW R1150GS
2004 BMW R1100SS Boxer Cup Replica
2003 Yamaha R6 (trackday bike)

slparry

Re: North Wales recommendations.

Postby slparry » Tue Apr 14, 2015 7:59 pm

Trumpetdude wrote:Having the bike whilst working away from home is brilliant. Got this Sunday to myself, heading down from Liverpool does anyone have any recommendations for North and west Wales? Ta mucho!

Head for Chester then take the A483 dual carriageway to the junction with the A525 heading for Ruthin, stay on the A525 (careful with the GATSO camera in Coedpoeth) until you come to the traffic lit junction with the A5104.

Turn left onto the A5104 and at the roundabout turn left for the Horseshoe Pass café if you fancy a bite to eat and a mooch around the car park :)

Retrace your steps back to the roundabout and take the left onto the A5104 towards Corwen.

At the next traffic lights turn right onto the A5 for Betws y Coed, go to the railway station café (right turn at the pelican crossing), for another break.

Again retrace and go back over the bridge and take the right hand turn onto the A470 Crimea Pass.

Then follow signs for Trawsfynydd / Bala A4212 road.

From Bala follow A494 to Corwen and the A5104 again homeward

Should keep you occupied :)
--
Steve Parry

Current fleet: '14 F800GS, '87 R80RS, '03 R1100S BoxerCup, '15 R1200RT LE Dynamic, '90 K1

Trumpetdude

Postby Trumpetdude » Tue Apr 14, 2015 8:08 pm

Brilliant guys, I've basically got my wallet and time at my disposal, hoping for decent weather but not essential, hope to see some other guys out and about.

metropolis2k

Postby metropolis2k » Wed Apr 15, 2015 8:27 am

What I learnt was if you hit a patch of rain just wait five minutes and it'll go! I think I did my weekend in September and only got rained on once in the 3 days.
2000 BMW R1150GS

Harry Lime

Postby Harry Lime » Thu Apr 16, 2015 10:26 pm

Beware Mr parry's recommendations and "welcomes" though.....you're "all noise and no trousers" as far as he's concerned.

Basically, the guy Seems to think that anyone who wasn't born in North Wales isn't fit to ride the roads there.

Please don't "ruin it for him" by having the Goddamned nerve to ride into North Wales from Liverpool!

"
slparry wrote:
It's the sunny day idiots that come out of the woodwork from the nearby cities whenever the weather's nice. The riding is truly appalling with horrendous risk taking, poor positioning and generally unpleasant attitudes.

I'm not sure what the answer is to be honest as fellow motorcyclists are potentially ruining it for us all.

Out on the GS the other day and overtook an R1 and a Fireblade along the A4212 Bala - Traws road in light rain. Was stunned how slow they were going, I mean REAL slowly, less than the cars by a long chalk.

Then once down in to Bala and on dry roads they came howling past, no doubt with a bit of willy waggling to show those adventure bike guys what real performance was.

Thing is we followed them, made progress where sensible and watched their aggressive overtakes and manoeuvres. At the lights at the A5 just filtered to the front which surprised him as he'd assumed his uber sports bike had left those adventure bikes long ago :)

All noise and no trousers :)
Harry Lime

Trumpetdude

Postby Trumpetdude » Thu Apr 16, 2015 10:36 pm

Ha, well noted. I'm actually from Scotland and use the bike for work and occasionally exploring when I get the chance. Although I'm usually hauling up and down motorways I do enjoy the occasional A road. I'm only working in Liverpool for a few weeks so what better chance to see Wales than on a day off!? Also had to contend with some atrocious riders in Scotland, believe me. It's not just Wales. 😜

Harry Lime

Postby Harry Lime » Thu Apr 16, 2015 10:42 pm

Well, as long as you're not "crawling out of the woodwork" from the nearby cities with "truly appalling [riding] with horrendous risk taking, poor positioning and generally unpleasant attitudes" I guess Mr parry might see fit to issue you with a weekend pass for a 30HP bike.

We'll see..............you've got to be born and bred in North Wales to ride those North Wales roads properly y'know.
Harry Lime

metropolis2k

Postby metropolis2k » Fri Apr 17, 2015 8:54 am

Harry Lime wrote:Well, as long as you're not "crawling out of the woodwork" from the nearby cities with "truly appalling [riding] with horrendous risk taking, poor positioning and generally unpleasant attitudes" I guess Mr parry might see fit to issue you with a weekend pass for a 30HP bike.

No, that's me. I'll be there later in the year :lol:
2000 BMW R1150GS

Blackal

Postby Blackal » Fri Apr 17, 2015 7:58 pm

Harry Lime wrote:Well, as long as you're not "crawling out of the woodwork" from the nearby cities with "truly appalling [riding] with horrendous risk taking, poor positioning and generally unpleasant attitudes" I guess Mr parry might see fit to issue you with a weekend pass for a 30HP bike.

We'll see..............you've got to be born and bred in North Wales to ride those North Wales roads properly y'know.

:roll:
If I am ever on life support - Unplug me......
Then plug me back in..........

See if that works .....
:?

boxerscott

Postby boxerscott » Fri Apr 17, 2015 8:23 pm

Yeah agree with her. We all rant now and then, but must be satisfying to know someone actually listens, in fact, hangs on to every word that was posted! :lol:
Fiat Panda.
Fiat Scudo (with speedblock, pipe carrier, reversing sensors, reversing camera, tow bar, some new rust and Fake Plumber logo)

started out with nothing, still have most of it left.

slparry

Postby slparry » Fri Apr 17, 2015 8:28 pm

Harry, if I've caused offence I genuinely apologise.... :)
--
Steve Parry

Current fleet: '14 F800GS, '87 R80RS, '03 R1100S BoxerCup, '15 R1200RT LE Dynamic, '90 K1

Harry Lime

Postby Harry Lime » Sat Apr 18, 2015 6:37 pm

Deleted.
Last edited by Harry Lime on Thu Apr 30, 2015 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Harry Lime

bikemad99

Postby bikemad99 » Sat Apr 18, 2015 8:39 pm

Harry Lime wrote:
slparry wrote:Harry, if I've caused offence I genuinely apologise.... :)

Yea, right!

No, sorry. You've made 4500 posts to this forum. All about BMW motorbikes were they?

You have record of being banned from other motorcycle forums which you're actually PROUD OF!

Your "genuine apology" doesn't wash.

Get off line and stop posting contentious crap.

Listen to him Steve,he is an expert on posting crap.
2000 BMW R1100s
1964 Royal Enfield 250cc Crusader
2012 Mazda Mx5 2.0ltr Kuro.
2004 Roller Team Granduca 171.
1992 Jaguar 4ltr Sovereign.
2018 Volvo t3 v40 Cross Country.
Reg & Gwen.

boxerscott

Postby boxerscott » Sat Apr 18, 2015 10:54 pm

Harry Lime wrote:
slparry wrote:Harry, if I've caused offence I genuinely apologise.... :)

Yea, right!

No, sorry. You've made 4500 posts to this forum. All about BMW motorbikes were they?

You have record of being banned from other motorcycle forums which you're actually PROUD OF!

Your "genuine apology" doesn't wash.

Get off line and stop posting contentious crap.
Harry, Steve elected to apologise to you, and still you persist to berate him...... :?
Fiat Panda.
Fiat Scudo (with speedblock, pipe carrier, reversing sensors, reversing camera, tow bar, some new rust and Fake Plumber logo)

started out with nothing, still have most of it left.

Return to “Boxerbanter”