Get me out o here

Pull up a chair - let's talk Boxerbollox

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

Corvus

Get me out o here

Postby Corvus » Sat Jan 16, 2016 12:48 pm

Does a rocket, which is to get to the ISS, and therefore I assume to reach the same speed, need to achieve "escape velocity" ?

The speed of the ISS is less than escape velocity, Yes? Plus, am I right in saying that escape velocity is that speed which is enough to overcome the force of gravity at the radius at which it finds itself able to achieve that velocity and then requires no further input of power in the form of forward thrust?

We're not trying to escape gravity are we? We are definitely trying to escape the atmosphere though and surely the best way to do that is as slowly as possible? As slow as is necessary to keep climbing, I'm assuming? Until we're free of atmosphere?

Is this anywhere near?

boxerscott

Postby boxerscott » Sun Jan 17, 2016 12:27 am

I am just about to roll myself a big Fatty Boy, perhaps in half an hour of ultra imagination I might be able to offer some help with this one,

BTW what are you on? :wink:

Edit. WOW (5mins after launch) I`m on good shxt here and in fact the answer is simply NO as it is not the rocket that goes to ISS (That only happened at Saturday morning Matinee).

It`s only the capsule that arrives there. The rocket stages fall away at strategic points ensuring the capsule has the velocity and trajectory to pick up its target. But I`m on stuff now so i might be wrong :)
Fiat Panda.
Fiat Scudo (with speedblock, pipe carrier, reversing sensors, reversing camera, tow bar, some new rust and Fake Plumber logo)

started out with nothing, still have most of it left.

Corvus

Postby Corvus » Sun Jan 17, 2016 9:52 am

boxerscott wrote:
BTW what are you on? :wink:

:D

HIGH ON LIFE DU U U U UDE!!!

A cocktail of nitrogen and oxygen, with a Cheffie sprinkling of other elements to taste.

(Other substances are available).

:D :D :D

Cheers.

Corvus

Postby Corvus » Sun Jan 17, 2016 10:12 am

boxerscott wrote:
...... Edit. WOW (5mins after launch) I`m on good shxt here and in fact the answer is simply NO as it is not the rocket that goes to ISS (That only happened at Saturday morning Matinee).

It`s only the capsule that arrives there. The rocket stages fall away at strategic points ensuring the capsule has the velocity and trajectory to pick up its target. But I`m on stuff now so i might be wrong :)

Yebbut the last stage to fall away would need to be doing the required speed before it let go wouldn't it?

I just don't believe that the speed required is escape velocity when we are aiming for an orbit at the same radius the ISS uses? Other people I talk to believe it does need escape velocity. But surely we aren't looking to escape gravity? Just the opposite in one sense. The same people deny that there is any gravity at the radius of the ISS. That we've escaped it by then.

One thing I did forget is that there are humans on board! That, I'm guessing, is what might determine the rate of acceleration. If there weren't humans on board I wonder if the rates of acceleration would be arranged to be different. One rate to suit pushing through the atmosphere, another to suit the change in velocity to achieve the orbit.

None of them to escape gravity. We need it for the orbit!

dark_knight87

Postby dark_knight87 » Mon Jan 18, 2016 1:21 pm

It started badly, it tailed off a little in the middle and the less said about the end the better, but apart from that it was excellent.

Corvus

Postby Corvus » Mon Jan 18, 2016 3:10 pm

dark_knight87 wrote:I'm no Rocket Scientist...

Bet you are really. :wink:

Thanks for that.

Corvus

Postby Corvus » Mon Jan 18, 2016 8:42 pm

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_American_X-15

I doff my cap to the guys that piloted these devices and similar ilk. Big cahoonahs.

Return to “Boxerbanter”