Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

Corvus

Miami Vice (and welding torch)

Postby Corvus » Sat Feb 13, 2016 10:24 am

http://www.bikeexif.com/1978-yamaha-sr500

Tell me this little funky number doesn't bring a smile to your face. :D

Al

Postby Al » Sat Feb 13, 2016 7:43 pm

Be ok riding it, then at least you cannot see that horrible rear end !

Al.
White/red BMW R1200R Sport
Shiny Red Honda Civic
Shiny Silver MR2 vvti Roadster. Going to be sold
White Peugeot Boxer Camper Conversion.
Battle scarred Suzuki Burgman 125,(Mrs Als) going to be sold
Suzuki VanVan 125

SP250

Postby SP250 » Sat Feb 13, 2016 9:18 pm

Might look ok when he gets around to finishing it.

John
John M

dave the german

Postby dave the german » Sun Feb 14, 2016 4:20 am

Don't like it as a whole but parts of it are OK. Won't be doing that with mine. All the old Sr 500s were kick start - it's OK when you've got the knack
'15 R1200GS TE
'06 R1200S
'04 BCR
Yam SR 500 long term restoration
wanna win the lottery and ride my bike

Corvus

Postby Corvus » Sun Feb 14, 2016 7:07 am

dave the german wrote:Don't like it as a whole but parts of it are OK. Won't be doing that with mine. All the old Sr 500s were kick start - it's OK when you've got the knack

Didn't they have a little window about 15mm diameter let into the end of the cambox, to let you know when to drop the decompressor? I've never owned one but a pattern maker where I used to work bought one when they'd just come out. Bout 1977 I'm guessing?

I've ridden an xbr500 quite a few times. In fact I've decided to swerve on my 250rs project and graft in an xbr injun instead.

dave the german

Postby dave the german » Sun Feb 14, 2016 11:01 am

Corvus wrote:
dave the german wrote:Don't like it as a whole but parts of it are OK. Won't be doing that with mine. All the old Sr 500s were kick start - it's OK when you've got the knack

Didn't they have a little window about 15mm diameter let into the end of the cambox, to let you know when to drop the decompressor? I've never owned one but a pattern maker where I used to work bought one when they'd just come out. Bout 1977 I'm guessing?

I've ridden an xbr500 quite a few times. In fact I've decided to swerve on my 250rs project and graft in an xbr injun instead.

Yep that's right. A little window on the top right hand side.
Just about got all the chrome off mine and ready to send off to the platers (when I decide which one to use) then engine out and frame off to get powder coated, engine to clean up and put it back together - should only take a few weeks!! (I've had it about 4 years now!!)
My garage is too small for the amount of bikes I have!!
'15 R1200GS TE

'06 R1200S

'04 BCR

Yam SR 500 long term restoration

wanna win the lottery and ride my bike

The Teutonic Tangerine

Postby The Teutonic Tangerine » Mon Feb 15, 2016 12:24 pm

I take exception to idea that he built this special . I looks like he started with a complete bike and just took some bits off.

Oh yes regarding kick starters - take a look at some of the earlier BMW twins they had kick starters - just about everything did in the 1970's even if you did have an "Electric foot" on most Jap bikes. Hardest two bikes I have ever kicked started must go to a 1970's 750cc Thuxton Bonnevillle with high compression pistons (no decompression lever ) and a Vincent Comet 500cc single (there should have been a de-compressor but the guy hadn't got the cable so I had to go without) - I nearly busted my foot getting that bugger started.
There would appear to be a surfeit of prolixity and sesquipedalian content today please do not use a big word when a singularly un-loquacious and diminutive linguistic expression will satisfactorily accomplish the contemporary necessity

Return to “Boxerbanter”