What's it worth.....

Pull up a chair - let's talk Boxerbollox

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

milleplod

What's it worth.....

Postby milleplod » Wed Sep 07, 2016 6:29 pm

A friend who's lived in France for 30-odd years has a GSA in his garage, bought new in '07 (in Germany, as the French stealers wouldn't budge on price....). It has zero miles on it, its never been ridden - shortly after purchase, my friend took ill, and he's never got well enough to use it.

The garage its been kept in is bone dry. The bike's been on its centre stand, the front wheel's been kept off the floor too. He's turned the engine over regularly, to keep the oil moving around, but not started it up. He's also turned the back wheel round regularly, to spread the gearbox and final drive oil about a bit.

He was hoping he'd be able to use it at some point, but, being realistic, he knows its not going to happen, so he's decided to sell it.

Its obviously French-registered, with a KPH speedo. Ignoring those 2 points, what do you informed chaps think he could expect to get for it if he was to sell it here? My feeling is that its not worth that much more than any other 9-year old GSA, perhaps +£500 for the novelty of zero-miles? And I do know things are worth exactly what someone's prepared to pay....!

Pete
Nocto Diuque Venamur

andy griff

Postby andy griff » Wed Sep 07, 2016 6:37 pm

So, 9 year old air cooled boxer GSA with ZERO miles.

If you can find the right buyer who loves the air cooled engine and shuns the LC version then this must be the best second hand bike ever - but its the IF that counts.

I reckon it needs to be advertised on an enthusiasts website as this is where such a person may lurk. Somewhere like MCN or Ebay will be filled with chancers hoping to steal a bargain.

I think this bike will sell for a good price if the seller holds his nerve and waits for that one person who cannot believe he has found a new air cooled GSA for second hand money.

Be brave and go £1000 over good condition second hand price but be prepared to wait.

There was a 20 year old, zero mile K100 on Ebay last summer for £10k IIRC.

f90x

Postby f90x » Wed Sep 07, 2016 8:42 pm

As has been said, it shall need someone who really wants it but there are currently two 08plate (one a 2007 model) on auto trader from dealers at present asking £7k. One has 33k and the other 38k miles. It's anyone's guess but maybe chance £8k and a bit of change and see where it goes. One can pick up an LC with 16k on it for £8.5 at the moment.
R1200GS TC. Triple Black
R1200S. It’s gone. Had it 11yrs. My favourite bike in 42yrs riding.

Holdsworth professional
Motobecane C3
Brompton

McBoxer

Postby McBoxer » Wed Sep 07, 2016 8:43 pm

andy griff wrote:...There was a 20 year old, zero mile K100 on Ebay last summer for £10k IIRC.

Still there. £8980 now.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-K100-PRISTINE-EXAMPLE-BRAND-NEW-OLD-STOCK-ZERO-MILES-/201320191938?hash=item2edf9e57c2:g:K1YAAOSw3mpXKcFv

Like Andy says, be prepared to wait.....

Thing with buying a zero miles NOS bike is that as soon as you use it, the zero miles novelty value has instantly gone.

So, would you pay over the odds for zero miles if your going to negate that on the ride home? Not sure I would. I felt bad enough taking my 1982 with less than 16k miles bike over 16k - it was quite mental barrier!

Or you could buy it but not use it to preserve the zero miles status - but then what's the point of buying it in the first place? Unless you're a museum of course....

I guess what I'm trying to say is don't overprice it, as it will only appeal to a niche market. So with that in mind, will he take £1500? :D
Big Scottish Al

f90x

Postby f90x » Wed Sep 07, 2016 9:35 pm

This one has been around for a little while and isn't far off what your friend is selling.

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/ ... 8227032835
R1200GS TC. Triple Black
R1200S. It’s gone. Had it 11yrs. My favourite bike in 42yrs riding.

Holdsworth professional
Motobecane C3
Brompton

boxerscott

Postby boxerscott » Wed Sep 07, 2016 10:33 pm

f90x wrote:As has been said, it shall need someone who really wants it but there are currently two 08plate (one a 2007 model) on auto trader from dealers at present asking £7k. One has 33k and the other 38k miles. It's anyone's guess but maybe chance £8k and a bit of change and see where it goes. One can pick up an LC with 16k on it for £8.5 at the moment.
Not my speciality the GSA lumps but the Guys who hankered after those lumps back in the day will not be wanting to go down memory lane and re visit. Far too heavy and cumbersome, lucky to get a buyer in their right mind if you ask me. New to the sport adv scene can buy any amount of middleweight bikes with more poke, agility and luggage / pillion capacity. It`s a novelty. No doubt the UKGSER lot will contest differently.

I can see the ebay ad now.... reading like a eulogy.
Fiat Panda.
Fiat Scudo (with speedblock, pipe carrier, reversing sensors, reversing camera, tow bar, some new rust and Fake Plumber logo)

started out with nothing, still have most of it left.

milleplod

Postby milleplod » Thu Sep 08, 2016 6:17 am

boxerscott wrote:
f90x wrote:As has been said, it shall need someone who really wants it but there are currently two 08plate (one a 2007 model) on auto trader from dealers at present asking £7k. One has 33k and the other 38k miles. It's anyone's guess but maybe chance £8k and a bit of change and see where it goes. One can pick up an LC with 16k on it for £8.5 at the moment.
Not my speciality the GSA lumps but the Guys who hankered after those lumps back in the day will not be wanting to go down memory lane and re visit. Far too heavy and cumbersome, lucky to get a buyer in their right mind if you ask me. New to the sport adv scene can buy any amount of middleweight bikes with more poke, agility and luggage / pillion capacity. It`s a novelty. No doubt the UKGSER lot will contest differently.

I can see the ebay ad now.... reading like a eulogy.

It'll not be going on eBay, that's for sure. The French market is quite different to the UK one. Prices tend to be higher, the market a lot smaller.

Thanks for the input chaps, all points duly noted and I'll be having a natter with my friend later today. As a matter of interest, he paid €11,300 for it back in '07 - he'd be more than happy, I think, to get €8k back for it.

Pete
Nocto Diuque Venamur

boxerscott

Postby boxerscott » Thu Sep 08, 2016 4:22 pm

Someone will want it for sure, keep us posted with the progress.

Interesting.

:)

Chris
Fiat Panda.
Fiat Scudo (with speedblock, pipe carrier, reversing sensors, reversing camera, tow bar, some new rust and Fake Plumber logo)

started out with nothing, still have most of it left.

milleplod

Postby milleplod » Thu Sep 08, 2016 4:38 pm

boxerscott wrote:Someone will want it for sure, keep us posted with the progress.

Interesting.

:)

Chris

Will do! I was tempted, if the price was right, and even though GS's really don't do it for me, to have a dabble....fly down/ride back...make a few quid on it to pay for the jolly...that sort of thing. But I can't be arsed! :lol:

Pete
Nocto Diuque Venamur

tanneman

Postby tanneman » Fri Sep 23, 2016 9:04 am

Posted it on UKGSer.
'Let me check my concernometer.'

milleplod

Postby milleplod » Fri Sep 23, 2016 10:07 am

tanneman wrote:Posted it on UKGSer.

Many thanks for that, appreciated! :)

Pete
Nocto Diuque Venamur

er-minio

Postby er-minio » Fri Sep 23, 2016 10:50 am

I'd rather buy a bike that has been regularly used (even not much) over something that has been sitting that long. And I've done it.

Anyway, good luck with the sale!
R1150R '03 (in pieces)
R1200GS '07 Adv
HP2 Sport '11
[I'm the biggest limit on my bike]

Return to “Boxerbanter”