BCR SAGA TIME

Pull up a chair - let's talk Boxerbollox

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

das bike u1100s

BCR SAGA TIME

Postby das bike u1100s » Fri Sep 16, 2016 2:05 pm

My BCR has now reached 60000mls, still going strong and so it should. but I just can not find it in me to keep using it for daily work plus holidays and piling on the miles as I just love its looks etc. etc. theirs nothing out there that appeals to me as a full time replacement.
So I have decided to look at the K1200R naked 2nd hand as a work day replacement. Any thoughts on this bm by anyone? is the luggage from my bcr able to fit the K1200R?
Paul
Never touched it, honest!
2019.Triump explorer 1200xca. The upstart
2016. K1200r. Fun, but mad
2004. 2004 bcr, my pride & joy, 70000mls on
2001 ducati st4
2000 yamaha fazer 600. born again
1982 kwacker 1000j2. they did away with the kick start

andy griff

Postby andy griff » Fri Sep 16, 2016 6:46 pm

Luggage wil not fit, I take it you are taking about BMW pannier system ?
The K1200 bikes had the grey expandable sport panniers.

The K1200R was a short model run as there was a K1300R after it but this was also a short model run and did not last as long as the K1300S.

I had a K1200S and the popular feedback was that the later K1300 was a better sorted bike ion that its clutch was lighter and fuel delivery better.
I loved my K1200S but it was heavy around town. However the R had wider bars and different riding position so maybe better at low speed.

I reckon a low mileage one with a good history will be a good buy if the price is right and you factor in a few quid for repairs. The ESA suspension was great on mine but is expensive to fix so an 'analogue' variant may be better now as we're talking an 8 year old bike.

milleplod

Postby milleplod » Fri Sep 16, 2016 7:41 pm

I had the quite-rare K1200R-Sport for a few years, loved it to bits. P'raps not as smooooth as you might expect a 4-pot to be (think buzzy vibes at various speeds/revs), but not too bad. It was as fast as a fast thing, a bit scary with the throttle wide open, but it did feel very planted.

I fitted a PCIII and had it set up on a Dyno - that really sorted out the low-speed running issues, but not all 12s had them apparently. It was comfy enough, although I'm not sure if the bars are the same as the R. As Andy says, mine also felt a tad heavy at lower speeds - when I first got it (from new) I had a few 'bollox, the front tyre's flat' moments, but soon got used to it. The half-fairing was very good at keeping the bulk of the weather off, and I fitted the AC Schnitzer bellypan too, just to keep the bottom end nice and clean. I had the 'lifeboat' panniers, but never used them as I found the BMW-issue tailbag and a tankbag were big enough...although I only ever toured solo. As ever....fit giant panniers and you will find stuff (that you don't need) to fill them with!

It was heavy on rear tyres, dealer servicing wasn't cheap either - I never felt competent to do it myself, unlike with my ST, where I do everything at home. I did fit the updated camchain tensioner myself though, a 10 minute job.

It might be an idea to see if you can get a nice long test ride on one from a dealer. I do like the R - I didn't back in '07, hence buying the Sport, but they've really grown on me of late, they could well be a future classic methinks!

Pete
Nocto Diuque Venamur

roadburner

Postby roadburner » Fri Sep 16, 2016 8:01 pm

I had a k1200r and absolutely loved it. Fuelling is easily sorted with a little wire in plug thing(about £20). panniers are on the small side unless expanded and then very wide- apparently you can get a full fave helmet in them, but I never managed it.
Economy is superb-easy to get 50mpg, nothing to fault it for apart from servicing costs (radiator has to be removed to change spark plugs!).
But! My gearbox lunched itself after 12k miles which is a common problem apparently. I'd try and get a 1300 instead as they're starting to get a lot cheaper. Only problem that I have with that model is the jap style indicators.

boxerscott

Postby boxerscott » Sat Sep 17, 2016 11:13 pm

Gosh 60k on a bcr, loads of old 1100s dogs out there with multiple owners will have more mileage. That must be a site record for a bcr :?:

Ps I do not think you are looking hard enough to find a better replacement!
Fiat Panda.
Fiat Scudo (with speedblock, pipe carrier, reversing sensors, reversing camera, tow bar, some new rust and Fake Plumber logo)

started out with nothing, still have most of it left.

das bike u1100s

Postby das bike u1100s » Sun Sep 18, 2016 3:46 pm

Thanks all, for advice.
Boxerscott, I realise my BCR mileage wise is still in its nappies, compared to the "1100 dogs" :shock: out there, I read and see BCR's that are cossetted, all the expensive bits on them removed, hidden in the attic, ridden only when the moon is full and its a leap tide. I bought my bm to ride and enjoy and love it.
BUT, the mileage is building up, the chance of a malfunction increasing, so putting it out to grass means I can still use it for hopefully, years to come on sunny afternoons and trips abroad such as san Sebastian just completed.
I would be interested in posts on other mileage's on BCR'S, all of them, just to see how they are used/compere.
no doubt their are better replacements out there, but I am not looking to replace, just retire and find a bike to do the work day mileage, hence the R1200R.
This bm has caught my eye, ticks the boxes, seen two this week for sale.
1.-2005 2400mls £3400
2.-2005 all the bits and pieces 2100mls £3850
off to vines of Guildford in morning for a look see at their 2nd hand selection, will also bear in mind the 1300r as others have suggested.
Thanks again to all.
Paul
Never touched it, honest!
2019.Triump explorer 1200xca. The upstart
2016. K1200r. Fun, but mad
2004. 2004 bcr, my pride & joy, 70000mls on
2001 ducati st4
2000 yamaha fazer 600. born again
1982 kwacker 1000j2. they did away with the kick start

boxerscott

Postby boxerscott » Sun Sep 18, 2016 5:55 pm

For starters, used mine for fun, 2 up tours etc. 35k miles and was still going great when I sold it. Had it from new. Kept it standard apart from hugger. No mechanical issues whatsoever. I do not miss it, thoroughly enjoyed it. I felt it was time to move on. I will not re visit the 1100 engine but I would be interested in the 1200 air oil cooled lump.
Fiat Panda.
Fiat Scudo (with speedblock, pipe carrier, reversing sensors, reversing camera, tow bar, some new rust and Fake Plumber logo)

started out with nothing, still have most of it left.

Tunneruk

Postby Tunneruk » Sun Sep 18, 2016 6:48 pm

I would suggest that with 60,000 miles the point at which you should have thought about keeping it low mileage about 50,000 miles ago.

Look after it and use it, mileage wise you've al;ready burst it's bubble, might as well enjoy riding it through 100k!

slparry

Postby slparry » Sun Sep 18, 2016 7:29 pm

what about waiting a few months until the R Nine T Racer is launched

I'm very tempted myself :D
--
Steve Parry

Current fleet: '14 F800GS, '87 R80RS, '03 R1100S BoxerCup, '15 R1200RT LE Dynamic, '90 K1

Neil178

Postby Neil178 » Mon Sep 19, 2016 10:43 am

Now that is a thing of beauty.
When was this announced Steve? I don't keep up to date with the motoring news anymore.
I saw something similar. Racing front as a one off on I think ... a R9T.
May have been on Peiican. I did a google on the builder. Some guys have great fun with bikes!
Maybe BMW saw the same thing? I can see it selling well. This could well be the Cafe Racer I am after!

The Teutonic Tangerine

Postby The Teutonic Tangerine » Mon Sep 19, 2016 1:17 pm

Don't overlook the R1200ST as a jack of all trades. It can keep up on club rides with Crosstourers and KTMs (both of which have more BHP). It can commute (i.e. its narrower that a GS so can filter) its simple to service It can tour two up and still be quick enough to cover good Dailey mileages. Tyres last about 6k to 7k and you'll get mid 50mpg and the world biggest headlamp. Just because its looks are challenging don't make it a bad bike - lets face it the the 1100s and the 1200s looks are also a tad unconventional. Also the fairing and screen will keep you pretty dry and a touring screen will keep your hands pretty much out of the wind (So warmer and drier). having had both I can say theat I can ride the ST quicker than I could the S - Handling is very similar but the 1200 engine is smoother (balance shaft) and likes its revs better than the 1100.
There would appear to be a surfeit of prolixity and sesquipedalian content today please do not use a big word when a singularly un-loquacious and diminutive linguistic expression will satisfactorily accomplish the contemporary necessity

Grip Fast

Postby Grip Fast » Mon Sep 19, 2016 3:22 pm

slparry wrote:what about waiting a few months until the R Nine T Racer is launched

Hmm, I wonder what I'd get for the R12S against one of them.... Tempting indeed.

slparry

Postby slparry » Mon Sep 19, 2016 6:09 pm

Neil178 wrote:Now that is a thing of beauty.
When was this announced Steve? I don't keep up to date with the motoring news anymore.
I saw something similar. Racing front as a one off on I think ... a R9T.
May have been on Peiican. I did a google on the builder. Some guys have great fun with bikes!
Maybe BMW saw the same thing? I can see it selling well. This could well be the Cafe Racer I am after!

It was announced a few weeks ago as part of the new heritage range which includes a 1980's inspired Paris Dakar off roader.

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/news/new- ... -for-2017/

but my fave is the black racer, needs some white pinstriping like the old black BMW racers from the 50's / 60's

--
Steve Parry

Current fleet: '14 F800GS, '87 R80RS, '03 R1100S BoxerCup, '15 R1200RT LE Dynamic, '90 K1

dave the german

Postby dave the german » Mon Sep 19, 2016 6:30 pm

I like it a lot apart from the silver below that tank - that would have to be painted
'15 R1200GS TE
'06 R1200S
'04 BCR
Yam SR 500 long term restoration
wanna win the lottery and ride my bike

Blackal

Postby Blackal » Tue Sep 20, 2016 4:12 am

dave the german wrote:I like it a lot apart from the silver below that tank - and, it would benefit greatly - with the judicious application of red rim-tape

Is what you really - meant. :wink:

Al :)
If I am ever on life support - Unplug me......
Then plug me back in..........

See if that works .....
:?

Return to “Boxerbanter”