Pull up a chair - let's talk Boxerbollox

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

pc-uk007

Side stand safety switch

Postby pc-uk007 » Fri Oct 28, 2016 4:48 pm

I feel we have exhausted this thread thanks for everyones input, regards Pete

Tapio

Postby Tapio » Fri Oct 28, 2016 4:49 pm

daves wrote:It's a safety feature isn't it - stops you riding away with the side stand down?

Some people remove the switch to disable the feature.

My BCR runs with the side stand down. But when engaging a gear, the engine dies if ss is down.
Rarely do people ride off without putting the bike in gear, so that should take care of that problem.
No, I don't understand this stupid feature. And it makes no sense that it's due to oil starvation.
R1100S '04
K100RS '90
GSX1100 (1327cc) '81
Lada Niva '12
CCDV '72

pc-uk007

Postby pc-uk007 » Fri Oct 28, 2016 5:17 pm

Tapio wrote:
daves wrote:It's a safety feature isn't it - stops you riding away with the side stand down?

My BCR runs with the side stand down. But when engaging a gear, the engine dies if ss is down.
Rarely do people ride off without putting the bike in gear, so that should take care of that problem.
No, I don't understand this stupid feature. And it makes no sense that it's due to oil starvation.
Well not good to leave a air cooled engine running when stationary is it ?

Blackal

Postby Blackal » Fri Oct 28, 2016 5:40 pm

pc-uk007 wrote:Well not good to leave a air cooled engine running when stationary is it ?

It's not, in true engineering principles, but - the French and Spanish police - ran air(oil)cooled BMWs for years, sitting in elevated temperatures, at idle - without any apparent detriment?

Al :D
If I am ever on life support - Unplug me......
Then plug me back in..........

See if that works .....
:?

pc-uk007

Postby pc-uk007 » Fri Oct 28, 2016 6:08 pm

Blackal wrote:
pc-uk007 wrote:Well not good to leave a air cooled engine running when stationary is it ?

It's not, in true engineering principles, but - the French and Spanish police - ran air(oil)cooled BMWs for years, sitting in elevated temperatures, at idle - without any apparent detriment?

Al :D
Bet they never caught any crooks on that bike then unless the crooks were on foot :lol:

Tapio

Postby Tapio » Fri Oct 28, 2016 7:53 pm

pc-uk007 wrote:
Tapio wrote:

No, it's not. You're right. But it depends on the situation. I think it's a good thing to have the bike idling that minute -to warm up - when you leave your house: check for wallet and phone, pull up the zipper, put on helmet, gloves etc.

on the other hand, i've in been in traffic jams in southern europe where filtering is impossible.
And the heat oozing from those cyls is more that you can bare.
R1100S '04

K100RS '90

GSX1100 (1327cc) '81

Lada Niva '12

CCDV '72

pc-uk007

Postby pc-uk007 » Fri Oct 28, 2016 8:51 pm

Tapio wrote:
pc-uk007 wrote:
Tapio wrote:

No, it's not. You're right. But it depends on the situation. I think it's a good thing to have the bike idling that minute -to warm up - when you leave your house: check for wallet and phone, pull up the zipper, put on helmet, gloves etc.

on the other hand, i've in been in traffic jams in southern europe where filtering is impossible.
And the heat oozing from those cyls is more that you can bare.
You really need to dump that side car :lol:

Return to “Boxerbanter”