BMW reliability

Pull up a chair - let's talk Boxerbollox

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

f90x

Postby f90x » Wed Nov 02, 2016 11:20 pm

fontana wrote:
f90x wrote:The advantage that the Americans have of course is the large 'class action' lawsuits that they Can bring to the manufacturers and actually get recompensed,

Yes but only in the case of manufacturing defects that cause injury or death.
For the majority of reliability issues causing breakdowns, they are no better off than us.

Not so. Or at least not in the car world. Mercedes have problems with early incarnations of their 7 speed gearbox and it gets sorted in the states due to a class action lawsuit and no deaths occurred. Many problems with both the v6 petrol and even more with the diesel but some are dealt with. Over here we have to pay for all it. There are other examples. I have been looking to purchase a recent(ish) used German automobile to replace my ancient used German automobile and have found a miryad of problems that are addressed by the manufacturers in the USA but alas ignored in good old Blighty.
R1200GS TC. Triple Black
R1200S. It’s gone. Had it 11yrs. My favourite bike in 42yrs riding.

Holdsworth professional
Motobecane C3
Brompton

fontana

Postby fontana » Thu Nov 03, 2016 11:56 pm

f90x wrote:I have been looking to purchase a recent(ish) used German automobile to replace my ancient used German automobile and have found a miryad of problems that are addressed by the manufacturers in the USA but alas ignored in good old Blighty.

Could you give a few examples

milleplod

Postby milleplod » Fri Nov 04, 2016 7:17 am

I'm with f90x. Let's turn it around though. Can you back up this statement you made -

"Yes but only in the case of manufacturing defects that cause injury or death.
For the majority of reliability issues causing breakdowns, they are no better off than us."

I love this, its like being back in court. :D

Pete
Nocto Diuque Venamur

f90x

Postby f90x » Fri Nov 04, 2016 8:34 am

Scroll down to the 'balance shaft issues'. This is just one of many out there. BMW have had to give a ten year warrantee on the fuel injection system on the 335i n54 engine as there are so many failures. These are lawsuits based on bad design or faulty components and the fact that customers are having to pick up the tab for repairs. No deaths involved. (Although that gearbox problem could be dangerous) I've done all my research in the past. I'm not going looking for all of it again but here's three to get you going. You can do yours if you like.

Oh, and I'm with milleplod, can you give examples to back up 'your' statement? Probably unlikely given what I've produced below...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercede ... 272_engine

https://www.bigclassaction.com/settleme ... eached.php

http://gotaclassaction.com/mercedes-nam ... nsmission/
R1200GS TC. Triple Black

Holdsworth professional
Motobecane C3
Brompton

f90x

Postby f90x » Fri Nov 04, 2016 9:09 am

fontana wrote:
slparry wrote:You said " I daresay most here have heard of Chris Harris. ..... "

I simply pointed out that as he was not UK based that he wouldn't be familiar. Why so "passive aggressive/confrontational"?

Yes, but I said most, not all, which is why I explained who he was for anyone who hadn't heard of him.
You also had f90x confused, so glad it wasn't just me
:lol:

I read it a bit fast. What Steve wrote does make sense. Chris Harris would not be such a familiar name over here. I hadn't heard of him.
R1200GS TC. Triple Black

Holdsworth professional
Motobecane C3
Brompton

fontana

Postby fontana » Fri Nov 04, 2016 9:10 am

Right, I see now.
Basically, these law suits cover the cost of repairs as a result of out of warranty manufacturing defects, parts and out of pocket expenses.
So what is the German vehicle you were looking at, and what a few of the "myriad" of faults that would not be covered in the UK.
Interestingly, whilst not technically classed as a class action law suit, VW have recently been fined in relation to fiddling around with their ECU's to give false emissions readings.
Also, of course whilst not related to cars, the mis selling of PPI and subsequent penalty's are another example of how we in the UK can get our own back against the corporate giants.

fontana

Postby fontana » Fri Nov 04, 2016 9:12 am

f90x wrote:
fontana wrote:I read it a bit fast. What Steve wrote does make sense. Chris Harris would not be such a familiar name over here. I hadn't heard of him.

And I say again
I didn't assume that everyone would have heard of him, which is why I explained who he was before pasting the quote.
:roll:

f90x

Postby f90x » Fri Nov 04, 2016 9:20 am

fontana wrote:Right, I see now.
Basically, these law suits cover the cost of repairs as a result of out of warranty manufacturing defects, parts and out of pocket expenses.
So what is the German vehicle you were looking at, and what a few of the "myriad" of faults that would not be covered in the UK.
Interestingly, whilst not technically classed as a class action law suit, VW have recently been fined in relation to fiddling around with their ECU's to give false emissions readings.
Also, of course whilst not related to cars, the mis selling of PPI and subsequent penalty's are another example of how we in the UK can get our own back against the corporate giants.

Do you think the earth is flat, fontana?
R1200GS TC. Triple Black

Holdsworth professional
Motobecane C3
Brompton

milleplod

Postby milleplod » Fri Nov 04, 2016 9:28 am

f90x wrote:
fontana wrote:Do you think the earth is flat, fontana?

:lol:
Nocto Diuque Venamur

slparry

Postby slparry » Fri Nov 04, 2016 9:37 am

f90x wrote:
fontana wrote:Right, I see now.

Do you think the earth is flat, fontana?

--
Steve Parry

Current fleet: '14 F800GS, '87 R80RS, '03 R1100S BoxerCup, '15 R1200RT LE Dynamic, '90 K1

Herb

Postby Herb » Fri Nov 04, 2016 11:59 am

bikes n bones like to come back one in a while. Can't stay away from us!
********Jim********
---------------------------
2006 'Colgate' R1200s

f90x

Postby f90x » Fri Nov 04, 2016 2:46 pm

Herb wrote:bikes n bones like to come back one in a while. Can't stay away from us!

Word.
R1200GS TC. Triple Black

Holdsworth professional
Motobecane C3
Brompton

Blackal

Postby Blackal » Fri Nov 04, 2016 6:29 pm

Herb wrote:bikes n bones like to come back one in a while. Can't stay away from us!

f90x wrote:
Word.

Either the same person or someone with the same persona............

Stands out a mile.

Al
If I am ever on life support - Unplug me......
Then plug me back in..........

See if that works .....
:?

bikemad99

Postby bikemad99 » Fri Nov 04, 2016 7:31 pm

Would you like me to get rid of him? :oops:
2000 BMW R1100s
1964 Royal Enfield 250cc Crusader
2012 Mazda Mx5 2.0ltr Kuro.
2004 Roller Team Granduca 171.
1992 Jaguar 4ltr Sovereign.
2018 Volvo t3 v40 Cross Country.
Reg & Gwen.

Blackal

Postby Blackal » Fri Nov 04, 2016 7:40 pm

bikemad99 wrote:Would you like me to get rid of him? :oops:

Now - that DID bring a genuine chuckle................ [smilie=mutley laugh.gif]

Al :D
If I am ever on life support - Unplug me......
Then plug me back in..........

See if that works .....
:?

Return to “Boxerbanter”