NEC

Pull up a chair - let's talk Boxerbollox

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

fontana

NEC

Postby fontana » Fri Nov 18, 2016 10:45 am

Last time I went 20 years ago, I swore I would never go again.
I found it to be little more than a glorified car boot sale for dealers to offload old clothing stock,
The bikes were almost peripheral.
I've been assured that it's changed.
Apparently I was not alone in my opinions, and the organisers have revamped it in recent years.
So I'm popping up this weekend with high hopes of a decent show, with lot's of interesting bikes to see, rather than rows and rows of cheap leathers and helmets.
:roll:

Dog Tyred

Re: NEC

Postby Dog Tyred » Fri Nov 18, 2016 11:07 am

fontana wrote:Last time I went 20 years ago, I swore I would never go again.
I found it to be little more than a glorified car boot sale for dealers to offload old clothing stock,
The bikes were almost peripheral.
I've been assured that it's changed.
Apparently I was not alone in my opinions, and the organisers have revamped it in recent years.
So I'm popping up this weekend with high hopes of a decent show, with lot's of interesting bikes to see, rather than rows and rows of cheap leathers and helmets.

Good luck :shock:
Ride like your life depended on it.

2002 BCR

Grip Fast

Postby Grip Fast » Sun Nov 20, 2016 6:11 pm

I went for the first time last year and came away slightly disappointed, having paid over the odds for a replacement Pinlock insert, and failing to find any discounted gear that fitted me - I'm Mr Average, so XXXXL and XXXXS sizes are bog all use to me.

But I spent happy hours sitting on lots of bikes I'll never own, making vroom vroom noises in my head. I also discovered that famous bikers (racers and adventurers) can be quite dull people when not doing what they're good at (riding bikes fast/somewhere difficult).

And a year later, I have a hankering to go back again to see all that shiny new metal and maybe, just maybe, find a pair of comfy leather jeans size XM (extra medium) for £20. If the weather settles, and I can get a signed pass from the missus, I'll go up mid week.

slparry

Postby slparry » Sun Nov 20, 2016 6:45 pm

it's a bike related day out in the depths of winter, an excuse for a day with the lads. Take the train, have a few drinks and enjoy it for what it is
--
Steve Parry

Current fleet: '14 F800GS, '87 R80RS, '03 R1100S BoxerCup, '15 R1200RT LE Dynamic, '90 K1

f90x

Postby f90x » Sun Nov 20, 2016 6:47 pm

Yeah, if it was just down the road I might make the effort but it's a £30-40 4 hr round trip train journey depending on the times I leave in either direction plus £20 entrance.

The boring person in me says I can go to a dealer to look at a bike I am unlikely to buy new and I can put the £60 plus the tenner on crap food towards the new textile jacket I need and wont find at the show in the right size or price.

Negative enough for ya :wink:
R1200GS TC. Triple Black
R1200S. It’s gone. Had it 11yrs. My favourite bike in 42yrs riding.

Holdsworth professional
Motobecane C3
Brompton

Al

Postby Al » Sun Nov 20, 2016 7:16 pm

Now I will be happy with xxxl stuff , thinking of going up on thursay as I am still off work :)

Al.
White/red BMW R1200R Sport
Shiny Red Honda Civic
Shiny Silver MR2 vvti Roadster. Going to be sold
White Peugeot Boxer Camper Conversion.
Battle scarred Suzuki Burgman 125,(Mrs Als) going to be sold
Suzuki VanVan 125

andy griff

Postby andy griff » Sun Nov 20, 2016 9:20 pm

I'm with you Steve. A bike day when the weather is crap.
Going on Wednesday - ticket bought in advance and first class train ticket(s) secured by booking ahead for not much more than standard.
Looking forward to mooching about and just relaxing - no massive expectations so can't be disappointed.
And rather than carrying a load of stuff and sweating my nads off I found that most suppliers do NEC prices by mail order anyway.

I keep on flirting with bluetooth comms so my only objective is to look at the various systems back to back to either confuse myself more or see things clearly ( he hopes).

fontana

Postby fontana » Sun Nov 20, 2016 10:08 pm

Post removed due to the un necessarily argumentative post below.
Will the mods chastise them as they did me?
No, of course not.
Last edited by fontana on Sun Nov 20, 2016 11:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

boxerscott

Postby boxerscott » Sun Nov 20, 2016 10:26 pm

:lol: Well done mate, give yourself a big pat on the back for spreading your wealth about! I think at times it`s a shit ole affair seeing gippos and fat goths with their goody bags and carriers full of tat no fcuker else wants.... but they are enjoying themselves, like we do when we choose to meet up with friends. Last time I was there I bought a massive big RC helicopter, I still have not flown it.... One born every minute :lol:

Chill Man!

BTW did you meet Bikesnbones? :wink:
Fiat Panda.
Fiat Scudo (with speedblock, pipe carrier, reversing sensors, reversing camera, tow bar, some new rust and Fake Plumber logo)

started out with nothing, still have most of it left.

Al

Postby Al » Sun Nov 20, 2016 10:44 pm

Nice one Chris, you beat Blackal to it. :lol:

Al.
White/red BMW R1200R Sport
Shiny Red Honda Civic
Shiny Silver MR2 vvti Roadster. Going to be sold
White Peugeot Boxer Camper Conversion.
Battle scarred Suzuki Burgman 125,(Mrs Als) going to be sold
Suzuki VanVan 125

fontana

Postby fontana » Sun Nov 20, 2016 11:12 pm

boxerscott wrote::lol: Well done mate, give yourself a big pat on the back for spreading your wealth about! I think at times it`s a shit ole affair seeing gippos and fat goths with their goody bags and carriers full of tat no fcuker else wants.... but they are enjoying themselves, like we do when we choose to meet up with friends. Last time I was there I bought a massive big RC helicopter, I still have not flown it.... One born every minute :lol:

Chill Man!

BTW did you meet Bikesnbones? :wink:

Wealth
:lol:
I couldn't afford anything at the show,
I go there to dream.
Unlike you,
I am in no doubt that you are a great deal wealthier than me
Most are

boxerscott

Postby boxerscott » Sun Nov 20, 2016 11:14 pm

Ok , I can do better than that I earn less than you, I am a poor boy who reaches out to everybody and sees the best in people.. I am a giving person with a long suffering supportive of family and friends.. including the massiv on this site (to some extent) :wink:

We are off to the show this coming Sunday. A two night stayover in Redditch and the chance to see the Guzzis in all their glory :wink:
Last edited by boxerscott on Sun Nov 20, 2016 11:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fiat Panda.
Fiat Scudo (with speedblock, pipe carrier, reversing sensors, reversing camera, tow bar, some new rust and Fake Plumber logo)

started out with nothing, still have most of it left.

fontana

Postby fontana » Sun Nov 20, 2016 11:17 pm

boxerscott wrote:Ok , I can do better than that I earn less than you, I am a poor boy who reaches out to everybody and sees the best in people.. I am a giving person with a long suffering supportive of family and friends.. including the massiv on this site (to some extent) :wink:

We are off to the show this coming Sunday. A two night stayover in Redditch and the chance to see the Guzzis in all there glory :wink:

Whatever.
All I did was give an opinion of the show.
Don't worry, I deleted my post but may I suggest (assuming you have the courage), that any future remarks you make to my detriment, are done by PM, to my face (virtually speaking)
I know it means you can't grandstand to your loyal ass kissers like Al, but it would at least show some spine on your part.

slparry

Postby slparry » Sun Nov 20, 2016 11:21 pm

Sorry guys I'm going to lock this before it descends into the depths, chill eh :)
--
Steve Parry

Current fleet: '14 F800GS, '87 R80RS, '03 R1100S BoxerCup, '15 R1200RT LE Dynamic, '90 K1

Return to “Boxerbanter”